Wednesday, August 31, 2005

What Was I Thinking?




I declare Wednesdays, 'what was I thinking?' day

I have enough 'what was I thinking' projects to take me through a year of Wednesdays.
this is only one of them, High on the list, not the top, but up there.


Admittedly, I lived in Northern Michigan when I started this, but still....even living at the North Pole this sweater would be too warm to wear, even for an anorexic, much less for an always-too-warm menopausal person living where the temp rarely goes below 30.

Sometime in 1995 I picked up the Noro Silk Garden, then because I didn't want the stripes that occur with the nature of the way that yarn is painted, I decided to strand it with mohair. Couldn't get enough of any color of the mohair, so I bought three, and striped it in myself (What was I thinking?). Then, almost finished knitting it, and decided that I needed to make something to wear with it, or else I'd never be able to wear it with anything except jeans. So, warp the loom - with Mohair in the warp, and a single ply soft wool - What was I thinking? - answer, I wasn't! That was the nightmare project from hell on the loom. Finally finished the weaving, cut out the skirt, underlined with silk organza and serged all raw edges -

Looked at the entire ensemble, and said ?

I believe it was GrandmaHatter at KR http://www.knittersreview.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38995 that said she knit something out of a chunky yarn "hoping that somehow, magically, a thickly knit sweater would not make me look chunky. Unfortunately the fact of the matter is that it does"

And the fact of the matter is, although this yarn is lovely and the cables are pretty and the side-to-side knit is novel, I will NEVER wear this.

It is square, it is too long for me, it is BULKY, it would be way too hot for me to ever wear except for the one week a year I'm in Vail or Northern Michigan.

Fortunately, the sweater is mostly pinned together, only side seams are sewn. I'm thinking of frogging and making this:

It is still bulky yarn, but the sweater is a closer silhouette and shorter and it is St st, not reverse St st.

It'll go better over the skirt, and be less hot to wear.

Time to rip.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

The skirt is lovely. I hope that the second attempt on the sweater will yield something more suitable for you and your lifestyle!