Tuesday, September 06, 2005

What Was I Thinking? edition 2





It's almost Wednesday, and since I have plans from early AM on tomorrow, I thought I would get a head start on my 'What Was I Thinking' Wednesday

This sweater is probably my favorite 'what was I thinking?'
aka: Adventures of a Process Knitter.
Sometimes I just get so caught up in the possibilities and process that I forget to look at the product.
The color pattern in here comes from an Alice Starmore chart - love the swirls and angles. The yellow, pink and coral yarns here are Unger Figaro - a softer than soft silk/cotton blend. (which, BTW, is discontinued - big surprise there). The blue and purple yarns are a mercerized cotton - hard finish, not at all compatable with the Figaro - but hey, what was I thinking striping it like that anyway????
process: start knitting with the figaro that I had, start playing with the Starmore chart, ah, I could just combine all these and make a pullover ... oh, but I won't have enough yarn ... that's ok, I'll just buy some more colors, and mix 'em all up.
What's wrong with this picture:
yarn textures and weights are really incompatible
would I ever, and I mean EVER walk into Nordstroms or Neimans and pick up a sweater that looks like this and try it on, much less Buy it? Are you kidding?

this baby is Destined for the Frog pond - although I still have to say that I love the color combo. I just wouldn't wear it in this incarnation. Someone KICK me, really, if I ever decide to Stripe something that I either don't have or can't get enough yarn of.
I do have an idea of what I'm going to do with the Unger yarn - have enough of the yellow/coral and pink to put together a sleeveless hoodie, pattern pictured on the cover of a Knitters mag from awhile ago. They used Blue/aqua/green - my color combo will work - no stripes I promise




Now, this week I open my Neiman Marcus email and guess what I see:
You're kidding right?
they visited my Frog Pond before I had a chance to frog?
and simply outlined it with leather
and put a price tag on it close to $1000
???
LOL









2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I can see what you were thinking. In this case, I think you're being too hard on yourself.

But, ya know, I do think it is very hard to make stripes look intentional and not like making do. Does that make sense? Successful use of many colors results in a garment that looks like the designer could have used whatever she wanted, but chose to put those colors in.

Knit and Purl Grrl said...

I think this is just beautiful!
I long for the day when I can make something like this...