Wednesday, October 12, 2005

What Was I Thinking? Wednesday


This is some absolutely gorgeous Lane Borgosesia yarn, purchased sometime in the '80s, along with this soft and rich looking wool. I don't have any idea what happened to the pattern I had started - maybe I had the sense to burn it. I def abandoned the project.
Diagonal ribbing sprinkled with popcorns...?!? What on earth motivated me to try that?
out of a yarn that is 26% mohair and is too soft to hold the definition of the popcorn - and too sticky fuzzy to allow one to rip back. That 6" piece of ribbing there represents about a months worth of knitting time for me.
I still love the yarn, love the woolen piece for a bottom, either skirt or pant to go with, and have been contemplating what I can do with the yardage I have left.

If I ditch the deep ribbing at the bottom, I may have enough yardage to complete this cardi, from the Winter 1986 issue of Vogue Knitting.

note to self: if you are going to go through the effort to knit popcorns, do it in a light colored, solid yarn that is firm enough to hold the stitch definition. There is a reason the fisherman knit sweaters full of cables and popcorns are knit in natural cream or natural grey wool worsteds.



On the slate for next Wed: My closet vs my potential closet - the angst of a stashing fiberholic.

No comments: