Thursday, March 23, 2006

Life of Pi project and ...



Life of Pi project.
I've gotten started, and am into the section starting the St Johns cross.
Why do I think this is representative of the story from the book?
A religious theme dominates the book - "this is a story to make you believe in God", yet Piscine aka Pi doesnt' restrict himself to one form of God, but practices the Christian, the Muslim, and the Hindu faiths. The book also deals with themes of the eternal. Even Pi's name is derived from the number that is never ending 3.14......
The St Johns cross motif in the center of this sleeveless top is a continuous, eternal 'cross' that is representative of Christianity to the Christians, however it is derived from pagan culture symbols.
I'm using one strand of blue and one strand of green Rowanspun 4 ply yarns, which, aside from creating a beautiful fabric, are representative of the blue of the ocean that Pi and Robert Parker are floating upon in their lifeboat, and the green of the life-sustaining, life-threatening algae island they happen upon in the middle of the story.
It may be stretching it a bit...but I find myself thinking endlessly of this story while knitting this top, and I will never wear it without recognizing the duality of the symbols here.



AND....most exciting of all: I found the Yarn to use to knit the Eris Cardi that my Secret Pal gifted me with the pattern for, while knitting this top! I love the Rowanspun stranded together as 2 yarns. I just love it. and the weight and gauge will be perfect for the Eris Cardi. and I have BAGS FULL, bags and bags, of Rowanspun 4ply. I plan to knit that pullover with the Vittadini Eva that I have in grey, but I don't have enough to knit the cardi - and I love that cardi. So all I"m left to decide is what colors to use. oh the possibilities.


Meanwhile, in the world of swap pals:
I got a package yesterday from my mystery book swap pal from Knit the Classic bookswap. I was so excited. I got home, saw the pkg, but had to turn around and leave right away again, so I opened it while driving (I know, I know, worse than talking on a cell phone while driving) - so, no fancy box opening pics - oh wait, I'll go take a pic of the front seat of my car: It contained a 400 yd hank of this yummy cotton yarn - looks good enough to eat don't you think? so, I'm open for ideas. It's Schaefer Yarns handpainted Laurel, 100% cotton, worsted weight. What to do with it?
As for reading materials, in contained her "genuine vintage" "absolutely favorite Sherlock Holmes mystery", The Hound of the Baskervilles. and a "tea Shop mystery" Death by Darjeeling. As well as some sweets, which I exercised great restraint in not trying to open as I was driving down the highway.
Thank you for everything! Can you believe? I haven't read Hound of the Baskervilles although I've seen the PBS production.
My mystery book swap pal seems determined to stay a mystery though - I don't know who this is from. Shall I guess? Or will you tell me?


and, for the stash pile, before April 1, I scored this from yesterday mail from Elann. Now I have enough to knit that Drops cardi that I swatched for last week. it's a discontinued Rowan linen print. The gauge is perfect, and I think it'll look great. But, I didn't have enough - now I do ;)



and last but not least:
This is going right to the top of my wish list!

10 comments:

Marina said...

So clever! The life of Pi project looks wonderful. I should remember to knit two strands instead of buying new, thicker yarn. Bummer! There goes another excuse for buying yarn ;-)

Jae said...

I love that cable book! I've been eyeing it at my LYS every time I stop in.

Michelle said...

That cable book is awesome! I was sceptical when I first saw it but I love almost every sweater in it.
Your Life of Pi project is just beautiful!

Becky said...

Your Pi project is beautiful. I, too, am finding myself thinking about the story often. While working with my students, I painted my craft box in tiger stripes!

Avivah said...

Oh your Life of Pi project sounds perfect. I've been thinking of giving Pi another chance, I was enjoying the writing so... I just hope there aren't any more poor animals getting hurt.

I don't think it is far fetched at all, it seems like a perfect and well thought out project to me!

That drops cardi looks like it's going to be wonderful!


Ahem....

Okay, now here's the time for a "secret revealed". I am your Mystery Swap Partner. I thought it would be fun to keep it a secret until you got your package. I can't tell you how excited I was to go to your blog today and see that you had received it!

Happy knitting, Marji!!!!

:D

Stephanie said...

What an awesome package you got! Great colors on that yarn.

And I love the way the colors are working up on your Pi project.

Anne said...

I wasn't at all convinced when you first mentioned your Pi sweater, but that is so beautiful - I love what I can see of the blue/green blend, and I'm sure it's even more beautiful in real life. And I can't wait to see more of the Cross.

As for Inspired Cables - I'm not looking, hands over my ears - you can't make me listen, la la la la...!

Carrie K said...

Those colors are perfect for Life of Pi. All that ocean! It's not a book I would have ever picked up either but I'm still thinking about the darn thing.

About the Tudor Rose KAL, I would love to do that! Now all I'd need is to pick a pattern.

KnitPastis said...

I really like this Rowan Linen Print yarn!

Rebecca said...

I found your blog while researching ideas for Schaefer Laurel - wonder what you came up with? I knit a pattern specifically written for it called the Versatile Lattice Wrap and am considering the Knitty Pattern Variation on a Frill - just curious what you came up with
my colorway is Catherine the Great
Cheers