Friday, April 21, 2006

Tudor Roses KAL

It's about time to set up the KAL for the Tudor Roses patterns.
I don't know yet whether to set up with Yahoo groups or Blogger...are there any preferences? Marina? Carrie? Anyone else who wants to participate? Yahoo has the advantage of photoalbums and daily email digests, however Blogger seems to be the choice for most KAL's. and those of us already considering, use blogger.
My two pattern choices:
Jane Seymour - I have all the yarn (original Alice Starmore yarns) except the Fern color, which I can buy Jamiesons (or is it J&S?) and it will be fine.
Or Eliz I. I have the Rowan cashsoft 4ply for this, however am having reservations about the suitability of that yarn for this sweater. I'm thinking it just may be too soft..and I know from experience that it grows in blocking. Soft to wear - good, a Hebridean yarn that hold stitch def better - good....what to do?
Right now, what to do is go to work.
At this moment in time, I'm working doing alterations for a bridal shop in town, altering prom dresses. Dare I say this publicly?: This years Proms are going to look like 'early French Whorehouse' in ice cream sherbet colors.
I know I sound old and fuddy duddy - but I CANNOT believe what mothers are allowing their daughters to wear.
Brittany Spears and the like, get yourselves dressed so that the youth of America will put some modesty back in their clothing choices. Sorry, my rant.

16 comments:

Jade said...

Haha, that's a funny description but I can totally believe it!

I like Eliz better. Can't wait to see how yours would like!

Marina said...

Oooo, are you allowed to take some pics of those "dresses"? I would love to see them ;-)

I'll get back to you on the other subject.

Mary, Mary... said...

I'm w/you on the prom dresses--eeeehw!

margene said...

It is sad and frightening to see what grrls wear today. I'm with you! What do their mothers think? OR are they?

I may have to consider joining you. It might be awhile before I'd get into a big knit item but I do want to knit something from that book!

Jae said...

I really like the Elizabeth. I'd love to join in but with everything going on at work I'm not sure I could commit to a sweater right now. That won't stop me from watching everyone else's progress.

Donni said...

Yeah! I'll do the Jane One - NOT - Holy Crap Marji - I am in awe of you already and you haven't even knitted the dang thing....did you see my paltry effort at combining two different colours on a measly 8 ply sock? SOOOOO embarrassing.

knittinbrit_in_wi said...

I'm interested. I'm still deciding which pattern I want to do. I'll let you know after I take another look at the book.

Sounds like fun!

Carrie K said...

I'm in! C'mon, Margene, it'll be fun. I'm pretty sure I'm going w/Liz......I'll need yarn for it! Awesome.

Oh, don't start me on clothes nowadays. It's how I know I'm old.

Dipsy said...

I'd love to join in, but with that sweater project that I chose for myself I'm afraid I'd be a bit too distracted - but who knows, I might get it done sooner than I expect! By the way, Eliz must be one of the most beautiful patterns/projects I've ever seen, it's amazingly gorgeous!

knittinbrit_in_wi said...

I'm back again! Last night I took a look at my TR book and am trying to narrow down between the following:
1) Elizabeth I (not sure what yarns to do this in - Silky Wool would be nice, but I'm not sure about the guage), or
2) Henry VIII - but in a pillow. I saw this on the virtualyarns website and loved it.
So yet again, I'll get back to you on which one.

Elizabeth said...

By my definition, a "dress" should stay up and on the person with more than the power of luck, prayer, and double-sided tape.

Not sure if it's better or worse to have only boys. The prom days still seem so far away, but will no doubt be upon me before I know it.

webber the webulous webhead said...

I'm not that much older than prom dress-buying girls, but I am equally appalled by their apparent lack of taste and reasonable modesty.

sherry said...

YOU go girl!! I just am glad I don't have a teenage daughter to deal with.
Love both of the sweaters!!

mames said...

hi marji, please please tell me where to get the pattern for elizabeth, it is just gorgeous. i tried to track it down vis your site, but no luck! thanks.

Lolly said...

I got the lovely package you sent, and I wanted to say thank you!!! You are too kind! I love the pin cushion pillow, and all of the little threads will definitely be used.

Many many thanks!

msfortuknit said...

that creme one is very nice