Monday, June 05, 2006

in 3 parts, with interruptions


A Modern Day still-life

Swap til you drop:

I've been involved in several swaps all Spring. The most recent two have just come to a conclusion. One was the Vacation Swap, in which one was to create a package for the giftee to take on summer vacation, and must have one handknit item in it. My giftee was Katrina, and her package is winging it's way to Oregon right now, and if you looked at the link on the last post you know what I knit. She is going to Chicago to visit her sister this summer, and everything else in the package was related to that item I linked to - not hard to guess what they were. My gifter was Michaele in Utah and she let me know my package is coming in two parts, to arrive shortly. She's been on vacay in Italy, lucky girl - gorgeous pics on her blog.

The other swap has been the Project Spectrum Colorswap. I was excited beyond words to get as partner Kim, whom I alaready know and have plans to meet in person at Stitches Midwest this summer. This is one where the pals exchange gifts. Kims and my tastes are remarkably similar. I could have written her preferences survey, and I suspect it went the other way too. So, I had so much fun putting her package together. In fact so much fun, that it kind of went like, Oh, I think Kim would like that and it is green ... hmmm, I like it too.... ok, I'll take 2. LOL, Kim has a package on the way (we both agreed to be late with May due to family schedules), in which several of the items are duplicated here. Meanwhile, the package she sent me arrived Saturday. I love everything that was in it. (well, blogger won't add any more pics - driving me nuts, so see it all at flickr here). Kim is a test knitter for Black Purl designs, and that baby sweater is modeled by none other than her youngest child. Isn't he the most beautiful baby? I ended up casting on for it right away, in part because I wanted to see the yarn develop the pattern, in part because I have a baby awaiting a gift and nothing has moved me yet for this particular baby, but this yarn/pattern did. Immediately I saw this little cardi with a little yellow or green (we'll see how the yarn patterns out) dress under it. I've got some really pretty little baby dress patterns - will work beautifully. (blogger started uploading pics again, then stopped. See the link for the rest of the package.)

Why I am going to be expelled from Stashalong

Stash enhancement, pure and simple. Some necessary trips to LYS to pick up things like needles or attend knitting group, combined with irresistable sales, combined with not having exactly the right yarn for the next project, nevermind that my bins are full of yarns which surely could be used for some sort of project. In addition to this enhancement, product of the shopping trip to buy yarn for Eliz I since I decided not to use the Cashsoft 4 ply, I've also added ....

This Adrienne Vittadini Athena, I've loved this yarn a long time, so when Nancy put it on sale at 40% off, I bought it with no specific project in mind, knowing that it is a summer linen blend and I can take it with and knit on the boat, where it while sailing.

five hanks of the new Louet Linen Originals in pink for the eyelet top in the summer IK - I bought an extra sk to make it long enough to wear without showing off the navel.

There is also a skein of silk that I picked up to play with, and some assorted little stuff. The silk has a high lustre, unlike the Chelsea silk or the E Lavold silky wool, and the colors are totally saturated. I started swatching it to see how it knits up. Expensive, but so beautiful. It's a dk weight.

8 comments:

sherry said...

that baby sweater is gorgeus!!! reading down your posts, i thought I had you bookmarked.. Congrats to your son, ugh, a lizard? do you belong to the MD group?? I just joined.. sigh sigh..
and, yes, i get in trouble when i buy a skein, "just to play" btw, i have a louet sales summer dress that I am considering the camelot, i believe...

Marina said...

I love that blouse but unlike you, I shall be strong ;-)

Gorgeous baby and sweater! Guess that's what I should do with my sock yarns.

Becky said...

I'm going looking for that baby sweater pattern. I've been seeing some things knit with sock yarn and have some that I want to "move out" of my stash, making room for others, of course.

I think about joining the stash buster groups, but since I haven't been knitting for too long, it is not at crisis proportions yet. Maybe next year. ;)

Carrie K said...

I didn't even realize you were in the Vacation Swap. Yahoo confuses me.

Beautiful baby. Cute sweater. Oh, that yarn! It looks so lucious!

Be careful about falling off Stashalong. There are repercussions......(okay, I saw Stashalong Dropout in flames on Chris of Stumbling over Chaos's sidebar. I think it's a warning.) ;)

Donni said...

You are weak minded when it comes to no stash-enhancement - just like me! :)

KSD said...

Katrina is such a doll -- she spoiled my in KVS, and is lucky to have your spoiling to look forward to!

I can't pass judgment on the Stashalong "burp," as I, too, dove off the wagon one month. . .

Katrina said...

*blushes*
I'm very excited to get my package. You would be amazed at my will power at not peeking at the link.

Stashalong is a great idea in theory, but there's a reason why I didn't join. Willpower only goes so far...

Katrina said...

Marji, I love my Vacation Swap package! Thank you so much! The tea cozy is absolutely adorable. I love the tea cups! And the yarn! I feel very spoiled. Thank you, thank you, thank you!