Friday, June 16, 2006

Non-knitting content, and no pics

Today is the day they will let my sis and her husband know if Joey (5 yrs old) needs chemotherapy. Wednesday Joey had surgery to remove a Wilms tumor from his kidney. Best possible result came from that. They found it extremely early, tumor was "smallest doc had ever seen" still it was 2.5 cm long (thats about an inch), it separated itself so they didn't need to take the kidney too - it wasn't bilateral...all in all, great news. Joey is doing great acc'd to my sister. I think Joey needs a blanket of many colors if they are going to do chemo - but my guess is they aren't, based on what they said post-surgery. Prayers please, if you are inclined to talk to God about such things.
Does anyone know of a great picture storybook with the story of Joseph and his Coat of Many colors?

In more non-knitting content: I am getting FAT. Not cutesy Phat, not pleasantly plump,...old fashioned ugly FAT. I've been spending way too much time sitting on my butt knitting, sitting on my butt sewing, sitting ... reading... you get the picture. Some real problems with ear infection and sinus non-drainage and my inner ears got really wonky a couple of months ago, at which time doc said No bike riding (I was having trouble walking with balance issues, so I got it), No swimming, etc. So I used that lovely excuse to not train for the triathalon which I now cannot do this weekend, and that excuse to sit.
Now I'm paying for it.
So today, dear friends, I got out of the house at 6:30 AM and got my 4 miles in. No running, just walking today. Tomorrow I will start again the couch potato to 5 k program, again.....
but I also stopped at the elementary school lot where they have 50 meter lanes marked off, and did only 25 meters of walking lunges. Argh to think that I could do 100 meters last summer.
Think I'll go get one of those ticker things to count down to my b'day (it;s a big one this year), and see if I can't be up to running again and 100 meters of lunges by then. 4 weeks, think I can do it?

oh, and I must thank Michaele for the first installment of my Knitting Vacay Swap package. She sent 2 Tudor novels by Robin Maxwell The QUEEN'S BASTARD: A Novel, and The Secret Diary of Anne Boleyn. I haven't read any of Maxwell, and although I haven't finished Legacy yet I scanned The Diary. think I'll probably pick that up next and read while actually knitting something on Liz. Thank you Michaele. I'm getting curiouser and curiouser about what's coming.

On the reading front, I've finished Wuthering Heights. I have in mind a project but it has nothing to do with knitting, or yarn even. I'm kind of waiting for a reponse over on KTC for what project criteria count as book projects. This is something I've wanted to make for a very long time, but isn't something I would make in June unless given the motivation for something like a KTC project. Teabird has what I consider an excellent blip on WH on her blog from Tuesdays entry. I agree with her, I just couldn't make myself like the characters, no matter how sympathetic I tried to find them. and I did try.
Currently, I'm still reading Legacy, and listening to Jane Eyre.


and, per Carrie K, this is the Weirdest blog quiz I've ever taken.
I think no matter how you answer it you are a Cultural Creative....whatever that is. the test is def written to obtain a specific result - not very scientific of them is it?

You scored as Cultural Creative. Cultural Creatives are probably the newest group to enter this realm. You are a modern thinker who tends to shy away from organized religion but still feels as if there is something greater than ourselves. You are very spiritual, even if you are not religious. Life has a meaning outside of the rational.


What is Your World View? (updated)
created with QuizFarm.com

10 comments:

knittinbrit_in_wi said...

My thoughts and prayers are with your nephew and his parents. Are you considering making a rainbow colored blanket for him? If so, I'd be more than happy to donate some squares. Let me know.

Good luck with the new fitness regimen. From getting to know you so far, I would say that you're determined and meet goals when you set them, so I'm sure you'll be in fighting form in 4 weeks time.

BTW, did I mention I love my colorswap package - my friend was trying to take off with the purse, but I tackled it away from her.

Michellers said...

Marji, sorry to hear about your nephew but glad that the news is as good as it possibly can be. I'm definitely sending good vibes...

I need a kick in the pants to restart my couch potato to 5k program, too. I'll race you ;-)

It's amazing that I can still be fat after eliminating dairy, wheat, corn, soy, and eggs from my diet (because of my breastfeeding baby who seems to have reactions to those things). Just shows you what a determined eater I am...

Exercise is good, I'll see you at the track.

KSD said...

Dolly Parton published a book based on her song "Coat of Many Colors" a while back; don't know if it's still available, but it was a nice little book.

Best of luck and health to all.

Donni said...

Hey Marji - Jade (from our Tribe) found the nicest book that she sent to Sharon about the Magic Quilt or something like that....it's not a blanket but I know how much fabric you have hoarded at your place (next door to my yarn shop) and it has a companion book to show you how to make the quilts from the book. Jade is at www.unfinishedobject.com and she one of the sweetest people I know (next to you and me of course) - I am sure she would let you know where she got the book.

Steve got back today - it's fit time for me too.

Carrie K said...

I'm sorry to hear that your nephew was so sick. Prayers definitely.

I don't know of a book (Jacob's coat) but I'll keep an eye out.

I've got Robin Maxwell's The Towers (or something like that) to read next. I like her, but she's speculative history, which some people don't like.

My guess is, you're fat in the way I used to think I was So Fat! And now would love to be. But good for you! Now is the best time to move on it. (no pun intended, but hey, not bad, eh?) (Oh. Bad? ;)

Jae said...

I'm am sending up prayers for your nephew and am glad that the outlook is positive thus far.

I have tried to read Wuthering Heights on two different occasions. I never liked the people so I could never finish the book. I just couldn't bring myself to care about what happened. Though, I can't wait to see what you are going to knit for the book.

sherry said...

Marji, prayers for the nephew.
Hey, I am out there at 6am to. Need to move it to 530am as it is getting to warm at 6am. Had problems after my marathon in Nov. so I put 10# over the winter, and am finally getting my 4-5miles in. Tho I lose it when I get the lsd of 10 in, so working up to that.

michaele said...

yay! glad you got the books - I was starting to get worried they were lost in the mail. I've got most of the box packed - just a few more things to add, and it is (belatedly) in the mail! Don't start vacationing yet! ;)

michaele said...

P.S. I scored as a postmodernist - (pretty accurate) - so it is possible to be something other than a Cultural Creative.

Anonymous said...

Joey would very much appreciate it if Aunt Marji and her friends would make him a special blanket. He is a tough little boy - not quite 40 pounds and not yet 4 feet tall. His Chemo will be on Thursdays. He will spend Fridays at home with me. Thank you for your prayers.