Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Vacay Swap package here

The Vacation Swap Package from Michaele has arrived! What a perfect gift for someone going out on the high seas. Salt water plays absolute havoc with the skin, so Michaele sent me some lovely skin care products for pampering, along with two beautifully knit washcloths and a Mit. In addition she sent some fun cards, (I just love sending cards...more to the point, I love perusing cards...just need to get more of them in the mail more often ;)
and of course, some dark chocolate that I can't wait to open.
In addition to all this, she sent several weeks ago two of the Tudor novels I had on my list of "want to read"...am half-way through the Diary of Anne Boleyn right now - def a vacay read and not serious history...and the knitty professor must have looked at those books and thought "hmmmm?".
All in all, a very thoughtful and wonderful package.


the colors in the handknits are just perfect. I've really been on an orange and pink kick lately, and evidently it showed. Also, I have NO idea if she planned it this way, but the diamond relief pattern is the same pattern that is that outlines the hem of the Eliz I pullover that I've cast on for for the Tudor Roses KAL. merely coincidence? I don't think so. Thank you so much Michaele.

So we went away for the weekend. Long weekend actually. and long car ride. I got 13 hours of car knitting in. Almost but not quite have finished the second Lady E. on the last tier before finishing with the last row of triangles. This is the best way I can think of to get myself to finish a project that has just overstayed it's welcome. Take it in the car with NO other projects to be able to find relief in. This I believe is called Focused Knitting, Dedicated Knitting, whatever. Rule of 10 out the window - just finish the sucker.




and look at what I scored in a bead store we walked into. Some fabulous projects in here, as well as some great tutorial on how to place the beads so they actually show up on the RIGHT side of the knitting. There is a project with beads in my future.
oh, so many projects, so little time.



On the summer Reading challenge front:

In June I've read (or listened to):
Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte.
Could not make myself find any sympathy or love for any of the characters. Not a book I would have stuck with had I not been reading it along with the Knit The Classics.
Legacy by Susan Kay
Editorial Reviews
From Publishers WeeklyKay's prodigious research buttresses this robust historical romance, winner of Britain's Georgette Heyer Historical Novel Prize and the Betty Trask Prize for a first novel. England's greatest Queen is presented from an intriguing psychological viewpointElizabeth I's need for men and the bondage endured by those she chose. Freely mixing the verifiable with the imagined, Kay traces Elizabeth's rise from lonely childhood to lonely eminence. In the person of Robert Dudley, later Leicester, she creates a romantic fulcrum for Elizabeth's womanliness, delineating the childhood affection for Dudley that flowered in clandestine liaison and may be the closest Elizabeth came to a loving relationship. All of the Court's intriguing personnelfrom the ubiquitous, conniving Cecils to the presumptive upstart, Essexare drawn with care; the turbulence of the period, filled with violent deaths, challenges from abroad, pragmatic liaisons, is conveyed with verisimilitude; the rich tapesty of the Tudor ascendancy is woven with colorful threads. It is, however, the depiction of a woman of whom "half the wives of England were jealous" that lingers. Literary Guild main selection. Copyright 1986 Reed Business Information, Inc.
.

From Library Journal
Through shrewdness, intelligence, cunning, and not a little luck, Elizabeth I ruled England for more than 40 turbulent years. Author Kay has chosen this extraordinary life as the focus of her first novel. Although she has obviously done sufficient research to portray the basics of Elizabeth's story with accuracy, Kay's interpretation of events reads like a soap opera. Love, lust, and sexual passion dominate, sometimes at the expense of historical truth. Readers who value a serious view of history will pass this by, but romance fiction fans will enjoy it. Expect demand, since this is a selection of two book clubs. Literary Guild main selection; Doubleday Book Club alternate. Patricia Altner, Dept. of Defense Lib., Bolling Air Force Base, Washington, Copyright 1986 Reed Business Information, Inc.

I don't know that I can expand on that review much.
Very well researched, v easy read and more entertaining than any straight historical account could be. Kay is very sympathetic to Eliz and Leicester's relationship - kinder than many historical texts. I read it first in 1986, just re-read it and enjoyed it. I would recommend it for anyone who wants light reading for the era, but something a little more accurate than say, a Jean Plaidy novel. And IMHO def less conjecture and more history than Robin Maxwell stuff. I'm sending this one off to Sherry tomorrow, along with the package that I've had taped up for Carrie for weeks. Post office here i come.

Reading Now:
The Secret Diary of Anne Boleyn, Robin Maxwell - review later, historical Lite, but I did ask for it.

(Listening to) Jane Erye, Charlotte Bronte as read by Amanda Root. This one I'm really liking.

and while reading Lorinda's blog today I was looking around me at the colors on book jackets - silly way to classify a book don't you think? Anyway, Lorinda is my Purple.Colorswap partner for July - and I need to get her pkg in mail tomorrow also...and I was looking at colors of books to comment on her blog, and saw the Purple book jacket of Robertson Davies The Lyre of Orpheus (ok, my copy is purple, although I see that at Amazon it is pea green)
anyway, I picked it up, and started reading it, and ended up reading it all through lunch. I never got past chapter one the first time I tried to read it, but this time I'm enjoying it much more. I haven't read the first books from the Deptford Trilogy, adn I think that last time I started to read this I just felt that I Should read the others first, so I put it down. But since I Have this book, and not the others, I will just continue reading it.

Clarification:
On my last post, it was sewing I was referring to regarding making your passion your work. So far I've been smart enough not to knit for anyone for pay. But I do teach sewing in my retirement, as well as do some work for some clients, and help out some friends of mine who are prof dressmakers when they get into work overload.
And thank you to Kim, who is bailing me out sending me another sk of the self patterning Sockotta yarn for the baby cardi.

3 comments:

Carrie K said...

Nice Vacation Swap package! The washcloths are cute.

I like Robin Maxwell, but she's definitely speculative historical fiction. Legacy sounds interesting, especially since I just finished off the Dudley family history book. I had no idea that 3 generations of Dudley's served the Tudor's (Robert's son decamped to Italy).

DeeAnn said...

Sweet box of goodies!

I'm off to pick up a mound of library books this weekend, sounds like one of those two may end up in my pile. When there is some good storying telling around enough historical truth I find it to be a nice entertaining read. Thanks for the reviews!

Marina said...

Wow, you sure got spoilt by your spoiler ;-) Nice!

I still am going to learn entrelac ... one day. Maybe when I stop feeling so-o overwhelmed by all my projects.