Tuesday, July 04, 2006

jerk and a root canal

Firstly, thank you all for your kind wishes, comments and emails for Joey. He is a trooper. And his blanket, at this moment, is ahead of schedule.
Blogger is still not uploading pics.

re the root canal. Thank you Kim for the advice to get gas - unfortunately I didn't read your message until the event was over with. The endodontist is some kind of guy - Starting a procedure at 5:00 the evening before a holiday. On a scale of 1 - 10, one being a shot and 10 being a C-section after 22 hours of labor, I'd put a root canal (at least in the very back molar on top) at about a 6.5. Not an activity I would recommend seeking out.

the Jerk did get made.
I use a recipe as a guide that I found in the #3 issue of Fine Cooking by Taunton Press (June / July 1994.) Jay B McCarthy is a chef in a Texas restaurant, who grew up in Jamaica, and this is something he developed. if you follow the link it has been reprinted on the web.
I do it all the way he recommends - chop all by hand, except the whole spices that go into the spice grinder:
whole nutmeg, cinnamon sticks, allspice, peppercorns, coriander, salt, and I run the bay leaves through the spice grinder as I don't want any sharp bits of bay leaf in my seasoning.
I also spend about 1/2 a day stripping thyme leaves from the stems to use some of the fresh thyme that my dh so conveniently provides.
so last night, after the jerk had been sitting in it's glass container for about 6 hours, we cleaned up 3 game hens, and then packed some of the seasoning under the skin, then some into the cavity, then sealed all up into a nice big zip-lock bag to marinate over night.
They are now on the smoker, to cook slowly for about 3 hours. We're eating early today so that Mark can have some before he has to leave to drive back towards Chicago.

I'm thinking rice, mango salsa and some pineapple to round out the meal.
hopefully I'll feel like eating bits of it. My jaw is pretty achy today.

now for a meme, which I have managed to avoid, but since Donni just sent this to me, and wrote me in as one of 4 that she think will actually do it, and since she called me Evil last week (can you believe it?), I thought I'd fill it in. So there.
A) Four jobs I have had in my life:

1. Buyer for linens dept for a tabletop store
2. mortgage loan officer
3. sales rep for med supply co
4. sewing teacher

B) Four movies you would watch over and over:
1. The English Patient
2. Dirty Dancing
3. All that Jazz
4. Master and Commander

C) Four places you have lived besides where you live now:
1. Rochester NY
2. suburban Detroit MI (Bloomfield HIlls and Grosse Pointe)
3. Traverse City MI
4.

D) Four TV shows you love to watch:
1. Project Runway
2.
3.
4.

E) Four places you have been on vacation:
1. Mackinac Island/Charlevoix/Harbor Springs
2. Antigua
3. Paris/Brussels/Amsterdam
4. Vail

F) Four websites I visit daily:
1. Blogger
2. Style.com
3. yahoo
4.

G) Four of my favorite foods:
1. grilled salmon
2. pasta
3. cherries
4. st Agur cheese

H Four places I would rather be right now:
1. sailing on the Atlantic
2. Traverse City
3. Travese City
4. Aspen CO for the food fest

>I) Four friends I think will respond:
I'm not doing this to anyone, but if you are so inclined, consider yourself tagged

6 comments:

Anne said...

Tee hee - she emailed it to me too, but didn't put me as one of her four - now what does that say about us both? (Still, she hasn't yet described me as Evil so far as I know... )

Marina said...

Try two back molars that need root canals at the same time! From experience, I recovered from the emergency C-section faster.

Donni said...

Yes but Anne - she (Marji) didn't call you a jerk did she...ha ha. Actually - I am sure Anne would do this meme as she LOVES memes...anyways - am getting my head around plane tickets to come and try me some of the yummy meal at your place cause we don't do jerk here. I am also working on plane tickets for you and I to go to Aspen (I have a cunning plan to go in Winter to ski - is the food fest on then?)...and have to look up what is so lustworthy about Traverse City. Please explain. And thanks, for doing the meme.

knittinbrit_in_wi said...

Seriously! We have way to many things in common. Glad you survived the dentist.

The jerk sounds fantastic. I'll have to give it a try.

Guess what we made for our 4th dinner tonight?? Grilled Salmon, with fresh salsa and the kids were happily munching away on cherries.

I'd better go hurry and watch fireworks with the kids. happy 4th.

Kathy said...

I really do believe that root canals should have been noted as one of Dante's seven levels of hell. Sorry you had to go through that.

Knit and Purl Grrl said...

Haven't visited in ages, so I'm stopping by to say HI!
Hey, don't you owe me something PINK???? ;)
xoxox
L