Thursday, July 27, 2006

reading and weaving

momentum
mo·men·tum
Pronunciation: mO-'men-t&m, m&-Function: nounInflected Form(s): plural mo·men·ta /-'men-t& /; or momentums
Etymology: New Latin, from Latin, movement
1 : a property of a moving body that the body has by virtue of its mass and motion and that is equal to the product of the body's mass and velocity; broadly : a property of a moving body that determines the length of time required to bring it to rest when under the action of a constant force or
moment
2 : strength or force gained by motion or through the development of events :
IMPETUS

Nearly a year ago, I warped the loom for this project (for detail on warping see here)
After throwing the shuttle(s) to weave off around 4 yds of the 11 yard warp, I lost momentum. Other projects, knitting with its siren call, sewing projects and obligations, travel, and in general, life, took precedence.
Then inertia took over. An object at rest stays at rest. A long rest indeed.

I also used to do a lot of reading. Again, the siren call of knitting lured me, and my TBR pile grew without anything coming off the top, or bottom. Then I joined Knit the Classics. It is a virtual book club with a monthly selection - the twist is that after reading the selection one is presumably going to have time to be inspired to come up with a project and get it made. Well, the KAL did get me reading again. But TIME. Reading was cutting into my project time, and my projects have multiplied like rabbits over the course of the last year.

Aha! Audible books. I also joined the summer reading challenge with an ambitious stack of books that I'd like to read over the summer. If I did nothing but read and project I still couldn't get it all in. Audible lets me multi-task.

A book I've been wanting to read forever is Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose. I found a version on audible (unfortunately abridged. Audible version: Author: Umberto Eco Date:01-JAN-1980 Narrator:Theodore Bikel Provider:Audio Renaissance Running Time:6 h 21 min ) and downloaded it Monday. I started listening to it while knitting, but the loom, in front of me, beckoned. So I sat down at the loom to throw the shuttle while listening to "just another chapter". The read was engrossing. The narration was excellent. Seven hours later I'd woven off another (almost) 2 yards and have the motivation again to weave this piece. I'd like to finish it within a year of the warping - gives me about 3 weeks, and one of those weeks is going to be spent visiting my son and attending Stitches Midwest. So, I've just downloaded A Room with a View

Author: E.M. Forster Date:01-JAN-2002 Narrator:Wanda McCaddon Provider:Commuter's Library Running Time:7 h 29 min

Set in Italy and England, this is a rich and romantic story of Lucy Honeychurch and the choice she must make between love and convention. Commuters Library presents a wonderful reading of this time-honored classic by Wanda McCaddon.

Time to go sit at the loom again and listen to another engrossing story, and weave.

8 comments:

Nanci said...

A Room With a View is, perhaps, my all-time favorite book. Enjoy yourself!

lorinda said...

Lovely weaving, and I loved A Room With A View the movie. I bet the book is even better!

Joni said...

I wanted to let you know that I just e-mailed you a copy of the ring code from the RingSurf admin. site. You’re listed as a member of the Fiber Arts Bloggers webring, but your blog is in the queue at the moment as you haven’t the ring code up on your blog. If you want to e-mail me when you have the ring code back up and whatnot, I’ll check it out and get you back into the ring as quickly as I can. Let me know if you need any help! :)

Joni said...

Sorry to bother you twice--I just realized you've joined the ring twice on the same blog. I deleted the older membership, figuring that your information is more likely to be accurate on the newer one. I e-mailed you the ring code for the newer membership just now, with the site ID 1063. That is the one that will work. Sorry I didn't realize before I wrote you the first time.

knittinbrit_in_wi said...

Love the loom!
Love the weaving!
Love "Room with a View" book
Love "Room with a View" the movie
Love the weaving/knitting and listening to audiobooks - I'm going to try it with the new ipod

Becky said...

Welcome to the exciting world of audiobooks and crafting. It's wonderful!

AR said...

Great weaving. Hope you hit your goal! Audible books sound like a good idea for me, too. Enjoy your books and crafts!!

Carrie K said...

I enjoyed The Name of the Rose. Audio books are great, once I finally learned to listen to them. It makes me feel like part of an ancient past, being read to while I craft.