Tuesday, August 29, 2006

rambling on

ok, I admit that creating a quiz that is primarily quantitative isn't really a lovely thing to do when creating it for a bunch of creative types.
It's my quota meeting, numbers oriented sales background coming through. and it's just for fun and in a way more revealing than many memes.
Anyway, a leg up for those who haven't taken it, and have an interest in finding answers - that would be for those type A's out there - I know you. Aside from some guessing which is endemic to this quiz, many of the answers can be deduced from perusing set1, set2, and set3 on flickr. However, guessing is cool too. I must admit I was surprised by some of the answers when I started to count! (Nanci, the excessive use of !! is just for you)

Last night my husband called me outside to experience the "cool" breeze. "cool" being a relative term. It was in the 80's and not 90's. It is with this "cool" weather coming in that my mind is turning to creating something of a fall wardrobe, and I've begun working on a plan and begun creating, on the computer, a "storyboard" ala Rebecca. And it is Fun. Note that a year ago last Spring I pitched most of my summer clothes, and similarly, in the early spring of this year, I ditched most of my winter wardrobe. So I have nada, nothing, (well, I have one pair of black wool slacks, so I'm exagerating a little) to pull out of the closet for when weather gets cool. This was an effort to compel myself to come up with new.
I find that while creating this storyboard, I'm coming up with a rather sarcastic voice on some of the silhouettes and some of what is being touted in the industry as 'fresh and new'. I hope to have the whole storyboard / plan / and blog entry regarding such done by the end of the week.

Meanwhile, I'm loving Project Runway this season. IMO, this is One of the Best blogs out there in blogland reviewing the runway. thanks to Christin, who had a knitblog but doesn't anymore, for the link. I also strongly recommend listening to Tim's take every week on the podcast. He really tells it like he sees it, and I so agree with him, last week Uli got Robbed.

Another of my fav sites is still Dress-a-Day. Go take a look at the dress on the August 25 entry, the copper silk with black dots. I could so see going to lunch in that dress. Or going boutique shopping. Don't you just love it?

And, I'm beginning to think I'm the only stitcher in blogland that is Not enamoured of this design:

I wore peasant dresses, in the early 70's. Don't feel any compulsion at all to go there again.

12 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I don't like that design, either.

I've been realizing that I'm heading for a clothing crisis, too. I need to get some muslin and make a perfect-fitting pants pattern, then crank out about 5 pairs. I've tried shopping for pants, but I just can find any that fit well. The thighs bind when the waist fits, the waist gaps when the seat fits, they come up way too high or not high enough.

Carrie K said...

Me too and me either.

Those quizzes.

Jennifer said...

I LOVE Project Runway! Uli did get robbed.

rebecca said...

I look forward to your storyboard, especially if it incorporates sarcasm. I like that dress on the pattern envelope, but it seems that the real women in blogland photos tend to look like they're saying "Hi, THESE ARE MY BREASTS, nice to meet you."
My cables are gray, not black. Since I am using three circular needles on the same project (two as stitch holders, which is how I always do it), and the stitches are sliding off the Addis only, I am blaming the Addis. This may not be fair. But they do seem to made of something unusual -- do you find that yours get bent out of shape the way mine do? Or is it just me?

Donni said...

It occured to me halfway through that quiz that I could cheat and work my way through your blog to answer but by then I had so many answers wrong it didn't matter.

I don't like the dress either.

I am still watching project runway - maybe it's the previous season - with Santino, Daniel, Cloe, that non-descript other girl, and someone else...so I have a while to go till that season finishes....don't tell me who won. Ok?

AR said...

I tried to comment earlier, but blogger had other ideas! I don't think blogger likes me very much. So. I don't sew, but I remember those weird dresses from the 70's, and you're right, they should stay there. Of course, every time I say I don't like some clothing I end up wearing something like it sometime in the future. Yikes!

Brigitte said...

Ugh, and now the 80's are coming back. You will not get me anywhere near that 'fashion statement' ever again. *shudder*

I'm not too enamoured with the design either...

tatjana said...

ooh! I can't wait to see your story board, maybe I should try that...and I agree, that dress is not so hot, but then I'm really not a deep V neck gal :)

knittinbrit_in_wi said...

I'm also loving Project Runway, although I liked the dress that Vincent did for Uli's mom.

Great idea for the storyboard. I have been buying a new fall wardrobe (after losing the weight from DS#4). Personally I'm really liking some of the items out this fall. The pencil skirts are beautiful (I loved them the first time and I'm loving them the second time around).

Bonne Marie said...

Vogue mag calls that last dress profile the "X" (they spotlight 6 other profiles in this month's issue)

I call it the X-file profile because it is ALIEN WEAR (just say NO!). Not flattering in Any Universe What-so-evva...

Nanci said...

I like bell sleeves, but don't care for the dresses. I agree, Marji, Uli was robbed!! (see I'm !!ing back at ya) At least there'll be no more Jubilee Jumbles (and thank God for that)

Looking forward to the storyboard.

Lynne said...

AAAAHHHHHH! The Peasant Dress! With Dolman sleeves...I wore them, I made them, and I won't do it again!