Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Greetings from Sleeve Island

You Are an Excellent Cook

You're a top cook, but you weren't born that way. It's taken a lot of practice, a lot of experimenting, and a lot of learning.
It's likely that you have what it takes to be a top chef, should you have the desire...



Well, that was a fun little quiz.


On the Culinary Front
Last weekend was Harvest time around here.

Basil and Thyme, enough for the Red Army should they show up on our doorstep. I made a dz little jelly jars full, a half dz half pints and a quart of basil pesto. Have already given away (to my Wed night knitting group friends) the dozen little jelly jars full. We'll keep the quart and maybe one half pint, and the rest will go to family as I drive around Michigan end of this month, and close friends here. I spent the rest of the weekend making 3 quarts of the Jamaican Jerk seasoning. Stripping all those thyme leaves off the stems is just time consuming, but the stuff is Good! I also have a brown grocery bag full of thyme, and several tied stalks of basil drying in my basement, to be jarred later.
Cherry tomatoes. My son started these from seed late in the growing season, after he'd graduated from college and moved to his new home in northern IL. He brought us this plant July 4th, and it is now producing sweet little tomatoes. They barely ever make it past the door before we've popped them into our mouths.
Also drying: Sage, and Rosemary (not pictured).

I read cooking magazines like some people read gossip magazines or fashion mags. Last Saturday, as dh and I were getting our bagels and lox at the local Eistein Bagels bakery, I was reading Saveuer Cooks, and started in on my rant about magazines printing recipes using ingredients I've never heard of, don't have a ghosts chance in hell of obtaining...you know the story. So, I was reading a recipe for Nori Furikake encrusted Ahi Tuna. After we'd finished our bagels and lox we made the excursion into Kirkwood to Global Foods, as I needed habaneros peppers for my Jerk Seasoning, and the grocery hasn't had any yet this year. What do I find on the shelves at GF? Nori Furikaki seasoning. Well, shut my mouth! of course we bought it. Nori Furikaki is a mixture of chopped dried seaweed (the same that is used to wrap sushi), sesame seeds, salt and I don't know what else. Wed night I made Furikake encrusted tuna, and guess what? It made tuna, which is never a fishy fish, taste fishy. LOL. We won't be doing that again. But, it was interesting.

Update from Sleeve Island

lest anyone think I've been slacking, here's proof that some knitting has been happening. I cast on for the first Sleeve Sept 2, finished the second last night.
progress 9.8.06cotton cardi

Needle Case update
Nancy, who owns the LYS I attend knitting group at on Wed nights (there's one for the grammar police) has agreed to sell my needle cases, so I left 3 with her Wed and already one has sold! Two more are up on Etsy for sale. More to come.

15 comments:

Becky said...

Why, oh why, did Bloglines erase my link to your blog??? I went to look for it and it was gone! How weird.

I've been keeping up with Lizzy updates -- I love that sweater! It is looking wonderful.

Congratulations and your anniversary, too! And I'm glad to hear that Joey is doing all right.

Whew! So much for catching up! Now I'm going to go look at your needle cases. :)

AR said...

You might be a good cook, but you are obviously a good gardener! Your plants look great, and so does your sweater!!

Brigitte said...

Oooo, you're making me hungry. Basil pesto, I could eat it by the bucket full...

That is a beautiful sweater, by the way. What pattern is it?

Carrie K said...

Mmmm. Pesto.

That is a gorgeous sweater! And sleeves too. Very good.

Jennifer said...

Those cherry tomatoes are making my mouth water... Mmmmm...

Jae said...

That sweater is looking gorgeous! And I can't believe how big your herb plants are. Wow!

michellers said...

I know what you mean about reading cookbooks and magazines, I love to do that as well. And how appropriate that my "score" on the quiz was:

You Are a Creative Cook
Your cooking is unusual, inspired, and definitely one of a kind. People love your unique style, but you've had your share of kitchen flops.
You have the makings of a cult chef. You may not cook at the Four Seasons, but you could have your own little funky cafe in San Francisco!

Describes my cooking and my personality both, I'm afraid. :-)

Love the needle cases, might have to get a couple as xmas presents...

Dipsy D. said...

Wow! I can't believe how well your herbs did, this is truly amazing! I always had huge amounts of especially basil and thyme at the end of the summer, but this year hardly anything grew well - either it's been too cold for too long or then way too hot for too long - heaven knows, but I could hardly harvest anything - duh :( So I'm way impressed by your herbs!
I so love how your sweater is coming along, it's amazingly beautiful already and I really, really can't wait to see it all finished up!

tatjana said...

The sweater looks great, I really like those not-yer-average cables :) Thanks so much for your comments on my collages, I left an answer on Flickr, but should have written here. You're right, that one is my icon on blogger, because I couldn't find a pic of me I liked. I thought something fibre-related that I made would still be kinda 'me'. And I had a question...is jerk hard to make? I've only had it once, but loved it, and the boy really likes spice stuff, so I'd like to try it out.

Marina said...

Next year, please remind me to plant some herbs! I could use some fresh pesto right now.

I'm still with you on sleeve island. Two down, four to go!

Wendy said...

I can't wait to see the finished sweater. Its beautiful! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I finally got the beadwork pattern!

DeeAnn said...

I am in total envy of your herb garden - I swear I can smell the goodness just looking at your pictures :) Nothing better than fresh seasonings for good eats!

Love the sweater too, it's a bit unique, which one is it? Perfect color choice too ;)

Lorraine The Knitting Hammy said...

Marji- I took the quiz, and I'm apparently not in your league in the culinary department.
SO I guess I'll have to round up all the grrrls, and head over to your place for dinner.

Plan on about 20-30, okay?

rebecca said...

I love your sweater, and your garden. You're in Missouri? That is indeed the middle of the country. One of my daughters lives in Liberty.

Paula said...

All your projects are so awesome!
I just love your sewing room too!
I have been slowing moving my sewing to my Son's room and take over a corner there for some 'Pet free' sewing. I am becoming more used to being empty-nested and have been organizing my sewing and knitting projects.
We are going on vacation up north soon and I need to sew a few warmer outfits. I always get such a crack up when I see what the runway models are wearing. So outrageous!
Your herbs look great! I just love my little herb garden. Although my basil didn't live long this year and I don't know why that is. I may have to plant it in a different spot next year. Oh how I do love fresh Plum tomato, basil, mayo sandwiches. mmmm mmmm!
I just harvested about a bushel worth of lemon thyme and common thyme. I didn't get that much sage this year though. I think I may have to divide them. They are 3 years old. Do you know if I should divide them now or wait till spring?