Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Best Laid plans and all...

subtitled: A note on client work and deadlines

When one plans time to work on a project, undoubtedly plans will go awry. Fortunately, within the circle of friends here there is a lot of understanding.
The project I've taken on to knit is for friend H. Friend I. is another friend within the circle of dressmaker friends, and one for whom I occasionally do some work when she gets overwhelmed with deadline work. Such is the case now. I. called Saturday and I agreed to work for her for the next two weeks at least, helping her meet some deadlines.
So, 8 hours sewing today with I., then home to knit 4 hours on cardi for H. There is still a ghost chance that the cardi may make the Nov 1 deadline, but the ghosts will have to be benevolent ones. Needless to say, my own work has been shoved to the bottom of the heep.
On the cardi:
I Knit the first 30 rows of the Vittadini cardi with no problem. This was accomplished in the car travelling to Rockford IL on Saturday AM
Sunday I Knit the next 12 rows, frogged, 18 rows, frogged again...then put it away for the duration of the road trip.
This pattern is a bear to work as written. When I arrived home last night I downloaded the demo version of Stitch Painter, and charted this pattern. Because it was only the demo version I could only do portions of the chart at a time. I now have a chart for the back including keeping in pattern while increasing, then 2 others for keeping in pattern while knitting the armscye shaping - one for the left side, another for the right side. I will go back in and chart the fronts before leaving for Georgia next weekend.
This took quite a bit of time, but it worked. Tonight while dinner was cooking I knit 2 rows, then after dinner I sat down, and was able to make progress again, correctly keeping in pattern.
I see no way to knit this without charting it through the shaping.
Anyone who wants to knit this, (Donni?, Brigitte, up for try #2?), let me know and I'll copy my charts to you. Brigitte, I know why you gave up the first time.
Who was it that suggested Rorschack inkblot tests?

11 comments:

Donni said...

Ha! Me? No for a long long long long long long time.....if you are struggling then my idea to knit it is a mere puff of wind.....and don't go getting all cross at me for saying you are a better knitter because some things are just true.

Lorraine said...

Marji- If anyone can pull this off, you can.
You may be bald from tearing your hair out, but it'll get done.

KSD said...

That would have been yours truly. But, you can always trade the ink blots for heavy medication, if you like.

When will you be arriving in our fair city?

Brigitte said...

Yes!!! Absolutely, I'd love to give it another try.

By the way, what yarn are you using?

Bonne Marie said...

You are so brave to knit in the car! I was in the back seat of a taxi awhile back and was swooning within seconds...

Good luck on your project - I've been rippin' and re-knittin' myself Over & Over - that graph will save you!

AR said...

Eeeee! Good luck!

knittinbrit_in_wi said...

Good luck with both the knitting and sewing, and more importantly take care of those hands - make sure you're stretching and resting them - you don't need carpal tunnel.

If anybody could pull this off, you could. I look forward to the updates.

Nanci said...

OK, I have to ask (and feel sheepish doing so), but what is frogging?

I know, I've crashed the knitting clubhouse here, but bear with me ;-)

Carrie K said...

But it's so pretty! I have faith in you. Besides, sleep is overrated. I imagine it's a whole lot easier not only all charted out but with definite familiarity with the pattern!

Terri said...

Oh, maybe I shouldn't ask how Elizabeth I is coming along. Don't forget to take time for yourself.

knittinbrit_in_wi said...

I'm going to post a all needle points alert that marji the Fiber Artist afloat has fallen into the black hole of wip's. Where are you? We miss you.