Friday, October 13, 2006

Certifiable

This blog owner is certifiable.

What started out as this: a traditional button front vest



















Somehow, somewhere along the line, ended up
This

client: Well, I started thinking about something lacier, with maybe a ruffle up the front.
Me: Oh, I know just the thing, the pattern has sleeves but I can take the sleeves off, lower the armscye so that sleeves can be worn under it...yadayada
Client: "oh, that is exactly it...except I think I like it with the sleeves""Can we do it with the sleeves?"











ETA: Client is a friend of mine, a professional dressmaker so she does know what goes into things - she has an event which she would like to wear this to the first weekend in November, so I have just about 3 weeks - however since the project has changed so drastically, if it isn't ready in 3 weeks she will figure out an alternative to wear. Meanwhile I have 2 driving trips - one to Chicago, 12 hours in car, one to Athens GA (hi Kim) 20+ hours in car - both with dh driving most of it, so there is a lot of dedicated knitting time. On the other hand, I've done the swatch, and this is a 12 row repeat that one cannot take ones attention from for a moment.
Must learn how to Count - ya Marina, I need to learn how to count!

17 comments:

Marina said...

Still one week to do it? Well, at least you can't complain that it is boring!

Carrie k said...

In a week?

It is awfully pretty.....

Elizabeth said...

Hey, no shilling-sized buttons! Ask for 2 weeks, though. Unless the client is extremely small.

Becky said...

That's quite a change. It's a beautiful sweater. Have fun with it!

Donni said...

OH - My "dream " project. The one I aspire to knitting one day. Will watch progress with bated breath.

Brigitte said...

Hi Marji... I tried working that pattern - it is beautiful. You definitely do need to pay attention.

Nothing wrong with the pattern, I may try her again one day, but I just had a hard time figuring out the decreases/yo's when working the armholes, etc.

I've never been too swift when it comes to working lace!

Jennifer said...

Wow! I like it, but it looks complex...

Chicago Jen said...

Holy Baloney woman! That's the Adreinne Vittadini sweater from like two years ago!! Are you MAD??!! In my slow knitting world, the ruffle ALONE would take two weeks! I am sending good karma out to the cosmos on your behalf! Good luck! BTW, what yarn will you be using? Or did I miss it?

Dipsy D. said...

Gosh. Gosh!!! This is amazing, absolutely gorgeous - I would try my hands at that in an instant as it contains everything that's beautiful in my eyes. But - it looks way complicated indeed! I'm sure though you won't have many problems with it, and I can't wait to see the first progress shots!

KSD said...

Well, you and the client may both need an ink blot test or two. . .

Enjoy our little town!

AR said...

That's really pretty. Hope you can finish it in time!

Lorraine said...

Marji-
Medication time!

Nurse Ratchett

Mary, Mary... said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mary, Mary... said...

Take Airborne--you can't get sick right now. Cheering you on from the sidelines!

Liz said...

Wow, big changes and a week to do them... yikes. I still can't count either, I use the tick mark on a sticky paper methd to keep my place...

Anonymous said...

MM
WOW! can't wait to see the progress reports. ambitious

Paula said...

Hey I have that vintage knit veat pattern too and was thinking of making it. I really like the look of that frilly cardi too!