Thursday, October 12, 2006

a new project anyway

I'm looking at ladies vests patterns...
I am meeting with someone tomorrow about taking a commission to knit a button front vest - do you have any idea how difficult it is to find such a pattern? I could write one, may end up doing so...
but
I found this
I find the directions somewhat hysterical

Materials: 8 oz. of Jaeger "Spiral-Spun" (7d. per oz.), 1 pair each of No. 5 and No. 9 Jaeger knitting needles, and 4 buttons the size of a shilling.

Casting-on: If you cast on with two needles work into the back of all cast on sts. to produce firm edges, but if you use the thumb method this is not necessary.


Anyone have any idea how big a shilling is, or what the method of cast on is if you use the thumb?

If I take this commission I have one week to get it knit, so it will be a nice little diversion.

10 comments:

Nanci said...

Do you need an English shilling or a Scottish shilling? Do you happen to have a 5p coin? That's the same thing. I'm looking for one now to measure for you.

Nanci said...

OK - got it: diameter is 23.59 mm

BTW, I was just having a bit of fun with the English vs. Scottish thing - they're the same size, just have different pictures on the back.

Nanci said...

Can I be annoying once more? I should have said, I gave you old shilling sizes (pre-1990) cos I assume the pattern is old. If it's not, the newest size is 18 mm diameter.

Brigitte said...

Hi Marji... I believe the thumb method is long tail cast on. That's a lovely pattern though!

Marina said...

Ya, but can it hold your attention for one, whole week?! It's lovely!

Marji said...

Shush Marina! Thank you Nanci and Brigitte. the pattern is from the 1940's, illustrated worn by a WAC who is wearing an Army hat too. BTW, British size needles being what they are, their size 9 is an American size 5 and their size 5 is an American size 9. conversion chart here
and the button will then be a size 36 button, using the Linge system of sizing.

Jennifer said...

Four buttons the size of a shilling? I have no idea, but that is funny and cute!

Elizabeth said...

Deadlines are good. They help us get stuff done.

Funny how something they once presumed everyone would know has now become esoteric knowledge.

Carrie k said...

Like the recipe for mayonaisse. I was well, gobsmacked in my chemistry class to find out what it was made with, & orginally they didn't list the ingredients because everyone knew!

That vest is cute. Good thing you found out the measurements of a shilling because I have no idea.

Long tail cast on is one thumb method. Stephanie's favorite Twisted German Cast on is another and isn't there a really, really simple one?

Peta said...

I just found this pattern on another website and was trying to find what ply Jaeger Spiral-spun yarn was - because obviously, it isn't made anymore. Im interested to read all the comments and discussion - does anyone know what the ply of this yar would be??? Peta