Completed before leaving for Boston:
A Jacket, a pair of pants and a skirt. 3 of the 6 items required for the Sewing with A Plan contest at PatternReview...which I decided to join with less than 4 weeks to go because I need to complete some clothes to wear, and it just seemed like a good idea.
Jacket Remember This? This is the finished product. I removed the patch pockets, assembled the lining with the facings that were all cut out, then hung the completed lining unit on the hanging rack where I store half finished projects....and then completely forgot that I had done that. Left it alone for two weeks, then decided to finish it up. I finished up the interfacing of the back piece, made up the sleeves, put in the bound buttonholes (must get a pic, they look really nice) , found the large rectangular stained wood buttons I originally purchased for this jacket in my button stash...then began looking for the lining. After wasting several hours, I gave up, dug through my stash and ended up finding and using a beautiful light jacket weight twill lining I had earmarked for another project. After it was all cut and assembled - I also had to cut up the remaining piece of wool I had leftover from the jacket, enough to make a skirt - for the facings....after all was assembled, I happened to look over at my hanging rack, and saw the previously assembled lining hanging there. ARGH! oh well, Onward. I finished up the jacket Tuesday night, after taking an interlude out to make the pants, leaving barely enough time to cut and make a skirt.
Particulars: Fabric, wool flannel
Pattern: Vintage Vogue (was current when this was cut out) in the "wedge" shape popularized by Linda Evans in the 80s'
Lining: Acetate twill
Interfacing: lightweight hair canvas
Extras: I used old fashioned tailoring techniques to pad stitch the collar at the roll line, undercollar is cut on bias with CB seam, applied a sleeve header of Armo Rite, made bound buttonholes, interfaced hem with wiggan, topstitched with Mettler Topstitching thread.
The style is a tad dated, but I'm tall and can carry that big-shouldered Dynasty look well, and I'm really pleased with this one.
Next up, the Pencil skirt.
Pattern: Vogue 2770. I altered this design significantly by cutting the CF on the fold and moving the walking slit to the back. This is truly a pencil skirt. The Hem is a full 4" narrower than the hip. Contour waistband, center back invisible zipper.
Fabric: Double woven wool crepe pique. Wonderful stuff that has been in my stash only about a year or so. Originally came from Eunice Farmer Fabrics in St Louis. There is quite a bit of stretch inherent in the weave here, so I Lined it with a poly tricot knit.
In order to control the stretch at the waist I interfaced the waistband with silk organza. Worked nicely.
I will make this again.
Center back slit, narrow hem.
Last Up: Pant
Pattern Vogue 2759
Contour waistband, unlined straight leg pant with side invisible zipper.
These are actually flattering, however next time I make them I will drop the waistband so that it sits below the waist about 1 1/2"
Fabric: Wool/Rayon blend gabardine with a crimped yarn which also has a degree of inherent stretch without the addition of lycra.
Lots to say about Boston. I had a gloriously fun time...however, I came back with either a very bad cold or the flu, so you'll have to wait for next post for details.
I did go fabric shopping
I did get some plane knitting done on the way there (including the 4 hour delay in Detroit). No knitting on the way back, I was feeling lousy.
Wadders and Where is my sewing mojo!
12 minutes ago