Thursday, December 21, 2006

that resoluting time of year

it's getting to be that resolution time of year, when we all decide we have too much yarn/fabric/stuff, and we all vow to not buy anymore yarn, to knit only from stash, to sew only from stash.....and the beat goes on, la di da di da
oh, we also all decide we are
out of shape, too fat, unhealthy, whatever, and we all vow to lose weight, exercise more, eat the right things, drink more water, la di da di da, and the beat goes on.

mehitabels musings details her 12 step plan for yarn and fabric mgmt and containment
Wendy has started a movement with the call to Knit from your Stash for 9 mos (the time it takes to incubate a baby, or in this case, all the time there is before she goes to the next Stitches event - she doesn't go to Stitches Midwest obviously)

Hopefully the yarn retailers don't read all of this and get up in arms about whether there will be enough business soon, as we all know how long many of our resolutions last.

Personally, I'm hesitant to make any blanket resolutions about not acquiring.
I kind of like Mehitabel's 12 step plan. In fact, way last year, I embarked on such a plan, without the numbers to the steps.
I'm on about step 6 - re-evaluate and see what's working, and what's not.
I like Lorraine's list of what she can do to make a difference in her world.

Way back last year, I made up a list of what I wanted to get done and what I would buy if I did. Well, I didn't, and therefore I won't. And I don't feel deprived. I actually quit buying yarn, very quietly and naturally, last fall. The enormity of the stash has caught up with me.

What I want to resolve for 2007:
-Stay off Ebay. 'nuf said

-finish up sewing all the window treatments for this house (that'll use up close to 40 yards of fabric I have in the sewing room)

-Very carefully consider my level of commitment before joining any more KAL's

-(again) go through the UFO's and WIP's in the knitting bag and the sewing room, and finish or scrap it all -
due date: June 30. This may take a photo inventory to keep me honest and on track.


Speaking of KAL's - I've joined the Dale of Norway KAL and am excited about it - in a reserved way because I really don't want to get too heavy into planning the next project while I've got Liz on the needles

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm seriously considering a cross-country move, so stash management and reduction is going to be a necessity. Maybe just thinking, okay, do I want to pay $X per pound to move this? will be a good motivator. Oh, yeah, I'm working on reducing the weight on the body as well as in the stash--might as well do it all, huh?

Mercy's Mama said...

Why is fiber so alluring? congrats on your cold turkey no more buying yarn... don't know if I could do that.

Anonymous said...

Hi Marji,

Good luck with your 2007 resolutions. I really need to add the 3rd item from your resolve list to mine.

I'll be monitoring your Dale progress in '07.

Carrie K said...

I'm boycotting resolutions this year.

I hear you about the KAL's! The Tudor Roses and the Dale (after my December Debbie Bliss) are all I'm allowing myself to join until I finish those two sweaters.

knittinbrit_in_wi said...

Way to go with the resolutions, or lack of them.

What are you knitting for the Dale KAL? I'm toying with the idea of joining it; I want to, but am taking an evaluation of the stash to see where we are. I have a yearning for some fairisle, so we'll see.

I have one question - don't you think that there should be a resolution regarding knitting your hubby "that hat"??! I'm just wondering!

Jennifer said...

I like your resolutions. I feel like I should make a stash commitment, but when I join a group, I end up falling off the wagon in a big way. I think keeping it private and quiet might be the way to go.

Lorraine said...

Hi Marji- The instant I resolve to stop buying yarn, I feel the need to get more. Perverse, but that's the way my mind works.
I'm so happy you joined our Dale Group- you have so much expertise and style, a real asset to our KAL.
Wonderful red sweater, I hope you and your family have the best holiday ever.

Carrie said...

I believe it was Kat with a K who suggested finishing, or at least working on, one UFO (unfinished object) a month in 2007, and I had to join up for that one!

Mary, Mary... said...

I love the MJ jacket. Resolutions shmelsolutions...okay, i did resolve to focus on and finish my WIPs. Happy Holidays!

moushka said...

I'm partial to the Dale sweaters. My mom has knit 22 in the past few years. Somehow, my DD has received three of them, while I only have one, grrrrrrr. Darn those grandchildren, lol.
I thoroughly enjoyed going through your flik'r album, all 900 pix. You're partial to the same colours I am, so there was lots of eye-candy for moi. You are terrifically talented and creative. It was a real joy to "visit" with you today :-)

Sue

Theresa said...

Moving cross-country is what really made me re-evaluate my stash. But in preparation for the upcoming diet, I just ordered some 80 skeins of yarn. This might not be as effective as I thought . . .