Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Picture heavy update.

Well, Christmas week family visiting here have left, and more family is due here tomorrow.

quick and to the point:
Knitting I finished knitting the 2nd sleeve for Eliz I and ripped back most of the first sleeve...and started knitting it again only to realize I knit what I Thought the directions said - not what they actually say - it's not changing again. A.S. has you knit the decreases in the form of a dart in the center of the sleeve, then knit straight for awhile, then, instead of adding the increases back in the middle, she has you increase on the edges. I didn't actually read it thoroughly I guess, 'cause my increases on the sleeve are radiating from that center dart - and dang it, it's a new design feature 'cause that's how it's going to stay. I'm half-way up re-knitting what I ripped out.

Weaving, While Mark (#1 ds) and Alana (his gf) were here, with lots of direction and help they warped the loom, and Alana was able to weave herself a scarf (using stash coned yarn I might add), to take home with her. There is still enough warp on the loom for me to weave off a scarf for Mark, however for his I have to order from Halcyon yarn some Jaggerspun Maine Line 2/8 in a different color, then Lauren (youngest dsd) can weave one off for her bf.

Sewing The Missoni knock-off dress is complete, however I think I'm going to remove the sleeves and try a different sleeve on it. I bought some black cotton broadcloth Monday to make a mock up to try, before cutting into the actual dress sleeve.


In a post last week I mentioned that I was going to take stock of the UFO pile in the sewing room and dispense with it by June 30. *ahem that isn't going to be possible. I took inventory, and suffice it to say, I'm not sure that I can dispense with it in a year. I've finished 3 UFO's already since Jan 1 2007. A skirt for Katie that needed a yoke facing, some handstitching, and a hem.
Maybe the oldest UFO down there, a wool jacket started when I was in college. Alana tried it on when she was here, she likes it and it fits her, so I finished it yesterday and it will go in the mail to her as soon as I have an address to send it to.

While the kids were here we went to see the Chihuly exhibit at the Missouri Botanical Gardens.

Following are just some of the hundred or so pics I took.




13 comments:

michaele said...

love chihuly!! Thanks for the pics!

Becky said...

Sounds like you've been busy with fun things. And I bet you'll put a big dent in the UFOs this year, even if you can't complete all of them. I'm always impressed with your work.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous pics! Thanks for sharing them.

AR said...

Those pictures are really neat!

Lorraine said...

Hey Marji- Really cool glass thingies.
Sounds like you've been busy. The question is, which Dale have you decided on?

Anonymous said...

I love the trim on your Missoni dress! You have certainly been motivated with your UFO's as well.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Marji! Gorgeous pictures, absolutely gorgeous!
I admire and envy your determination to work on your UFOs, I think it's a great decision to start the year with and I wish you good luck
LauraLo

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures Marji!

Although I'm commited to not purchasing any yarn for the first 9 months of 2007, I'm having issues with the UFO's, and keep starting something!

knittinbrit_in_wi said...

It sounds like you've been incredibly busy not just with family, but with clearing up those ufo sightings.

I'm so impressed that you got everybody involved in weaving scarves. What fun?!

I'm looking forward to seeing Eliz I.

Carrie K said...

Those pix are amazing. So many UFO's it would take a year? LOL! But that's probably where I am.

The wool jacket is a classic and I love the Missoni dress. What kind of sleeves were you thinking of substituting?

Paula said...

Oh Wow! I love all your work! You have been so busy this past year.
Great pictures.

Happy New Year to you!

Anonymous said...

I saw a Chihuly show at the NY Botanical Gardens this past summer, and sent everyone I spoke to subsequently to see it too! Many called to thank me for the 'heads-up'. I first saw one of his shows at the Hecksure Museim in Huntington LI about 20 years ago, and have followed him since. His work is more than amazing.

Thanks for sharing the photos.

~Shelley
in NY

tatjana said...

Yay Chihuly :D The Missoni dress looks so cool! I think you're right about the sleeves though. The fabric you used doesn't cling to the body as much as the original, and with the sleeves it creates a bulkier effect than what you're probably going for. Maybe a 2/3 or 3/4 sleeve with less gathering? I have to go look at the pictures again...lol!