Friday, February 23, 2007

The Spanish Snap buttonhole



Use this in lieu of a bound buttonhole on either
  • delicate fine fabrics like charmeuse where either the style or the fabric won't support the weight, (both visual weight and actual weight) of a bound buttonhole
  • bulky or loosely woven fabrics like boucle


Step 1
cut a bias strip for your buttonhole at least 1 1/4" wide by 3" longer than the buttonhole. Mark the buttonhole. (I used green sharpie for this sample - try to mark with something that will come out of your fabric, and is closer to the color of your fabric)


Step 2
begin stitching at one point, in the form of a football, all the way around the buttonhole. Use 1mm Stitches at the ends.


Step 3
Cut through the center, all the way into the points.


Step 4
turn fabric through, then pull with a "snap". Press,
Finish the back as if for a bound buttonhole.

8 comments:

Tany said...

I first saw this technique in "Couture, the Art of Fine Sewing" by Roberta Carr! Thank you for demonstrating it!

Elizabeth said...

Too cool! Thanks for showing that.

Carrie K said...

Wow, neat! And I do mean neat in all senses of the word.

Linda said...

Great tutorial. Will have to try this.

knittinbrit_in_wi said...

Wow! I'm so impressed and I'm not even a sewer... seamstress, well I don't sew.

It made me almost want to got make a buttonhole. I did say almost.

Becky said...

Love it! I'll have to try that before I forget it.

Mitzi said...

Could someone elaborate on what it means to "finish as for a bound buttonhole?" I don't know how to make those!

Women Leather Shorts said...

I first saw this technique in "Couture, the Art of Fine Sewing" by Roberta Carr! Thank you for demonstrating it