Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Planning vs Implementation

ok, I'm waist deep in the implementation and stitching of my Sewing With A Planwardrobe. I'm mostly really happy with it.
But, really, let's be totally candid here - the most Fun part, the planning and working it out part - is Done!

so, what do I think about while working on the garments that I'm working on? For awhile I manage to think only about what I'm doing. This is good. This is what I consciously strive for - you know, the live in the moment thing and all like that.
But the rest of the time? I'm on to dreaming the next great thing.

So what am I dreaming about these days?
The maternity formal (wedding) dress (don't ask) that needs to be finished for April 10?
The prom dress that has a deadline of May 1?

Nope

I'm thinking about warping the loom.
I made the mistake of visiting a LYS on the way home from Rollerblading for an hour over at Creve Couer trails today - (it was 80 degrees - windy as all get-out, and I am working on whittling down these thighs). Anyway, I digress. The LYS has their novelty ladder yarn ON SALE! Big surprise - you know, those things you couldn't knit with - hated every minute of...lalalala...
But, they are an integral part of a piece of fabric that goes into a Chanel jacket. Those lovely multi-fibre boucles that we spend the beaucoup bucks for.
We all know that I wove 11 yards on my loom for Chanel-style jackets for a gift for my mom and my friend Sharron. Their jackets are both "under construction"... hint mom and friend - Sharron, I'll even rip the bleepin' sleeve for you....
Again, I digress.

I'm thinking about weaving a piece for Me, moi. What do you think?
I've got the yardage figured for the amount of ladder yarn I need. But, I'll need to find a lace weight boucle - any ideas?

so, what do you think about while you're working on your current project? Are you able to "live in the moment"? or, like me, are you dreaming about the next hill?

14 comments:

Elizabeth said...

At the beginning, I'm totally in the project. But long before the half-way point, I'm in the thrill of contemplating the next thing. Unless the project is so small and fast, I can't possibly get bored with it in so short a time.

Pearl said...

One of these days I'm going to pull my loom back out again and play with it...I enjoyed it so much. I'd love to weave fabric for a Chanel style jacket...

As for projects - I'm usually in the moment when it's a new pattern; if it's something I've made a few times before, sometimes the boredom factor starts to set in about half way...

Becky said...

You have the double whammy -- large projects and they are for other people. There comes a time when you need to do one for yourself.

I have so many things I want to do that it rumbles around in my head constantly.

Tany said...

I say exactly what Elizabeth said before; Sometimes I dream of more than on project at the same time but I wait until I finish the current project before I move on to the next :) (No UFOs this way, lol)

Brigitte said...

Hmmm...you knit. Sew. Cook. And weave!? I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Marina said...

What you need is an assistant! Someone to carry out all your beautiful ideas while you plan to your heart's content ;-)

jae said...

Next hill? I'm usually over the next hill, into the next county, and across state lines. I think that is why I often have 4 or 5 things going at a time. It keeps me from boredom, but it also means it takes forever to complete any one project.

Summerset said...

Ugh. I am always into the next project or two or three. I've already got stuff planned into 2008 for my really big projects. Is that insane or what? I think it has to do with the fun of design, and once I get part of it done, it's a BTDT. Furthermore, I get extremely bored with only one project going - it must 3 to 5, and they can't all be in the same medium.

Summerset said...

Oh. Forgot. Totally, go and weave yourself some fabric!!!!! That's absolutely fantastic that you can do that!

Jennifer said...

I'm mostly in the moment, but when I'm on a particularly boring part of the project I start dreaming of the next project, or start thinking of other crafty pursuits.

Mary said...

I also dream of the Next Thing - sometimes before I've even started the project! I have so many things that I want to do, want to try, that there's always a big Next Thing on my horizon.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I would love to see what you'd weave up for yourself! Do it! do it!

I am so not in the moment. I never am. I'm either planning ahead or looking behind.

Carrie K said...

Grr! I hate this thing going so fast! Normally it would make me enter the word verification code 800 x but when it's anonymous, it's lickety split.

tatjana said...

Hi Marji! Thank you so much for your comment, it's great to see you :D I was just finally able to fix my flight date this week - May 16th. I'm counting days already ;) I will definitely check out Thomas Moore, thanks for the tip!
As for your weaving, I think it's always good to have a project going for yourself as motivation to get other stuff done haha! We crafters must seem so selfish lol.