Monday, April 02, 2007

Deadlines and Commitments

Isn't that the name of a song?

Real deadlines: (client work)
  • Maternity formal (silk chiffon over rayon slipdress), muslin due this week, final finished due April 10.
  • pattern alterations for sheath dress - this week - easy peasy
  • Prom dress - due before end of April.
Self-imposed deadlines: SWAP due end of this week. Finis. Ohhh Myyy Looord, I don't know if I'm going to make it.

Right now (all weekend) I've been dinking around with this dress, in the infamous words of Tim Gunn, "making it work"
Front
Its an old OOP Vogue pattern, Yves St Laurent design, and in order to make it work on a real human body, a fair amount of real-time draping is needed. If I were making this for someone else - No Problem. For me, this is problematic. I'm going to need to schedule an appointment time with I. or H. to have one of them fold the fronts and backs into those rings before I stitch them down permanently.
The shape of the skirt is fun - a tulip created by tucks and pleats. But this was probably not the best choice for the end of SWAP substitution. A Lot of work.
As you can see, I've got the hem pinned - need to hand stitch that, then, for all intents and purposes it's done, except I really need help - maybe I can adjust that fit myself by using snap closures rather than sewing it permanently by hand.
Dh tried - he loves the dress on me - but he is really not adept at fitting.

Meanwhile, go visit Tany
She's getting started on a Trench Dress. (she's a lot younger than me ;)
I love love love this one by Burberry . Lots of discussions lately on the sewing boards about age-appropriate dressing. So I'm wondering, what are your opinions on this? Too young for a 50-something?

15 comments:

michellers said...

Marji, I don't see what is so age in-appropriate about this dress for a fabulous woman like yourself. You have the arms for it, so I say it would be great. Maybe the skirt length is a bit short, but that's an easy fix. It's really cute, but I do wonder what those buttons would do on a well-endowed chest. ;-)

Nancy (nanflan) said...

Deadlines and commitments is a lyric from the old Bob Seger song, Against the Wind. Perhaps your thinking of that?

I think the dress is cute. Go for it if you have the figure! It would also be nice in the form of a sheath, and would look a bit more sophisticated than the gathered drop waist.

Tany said...

Marji, thanks for mentioning me! I love that Burberry dress! I totally a agree with Michellers, you would look stunning in such a dress! About the blue dress, I can see what you mean, it's hard work and very difficult to fit all by yourself; I do hope you succeed because I LOVE that style, the color, everything!!

Debbie Cook said...

I guess I'm just a grump. ;-) I think there's entirely too much going on with that dress to look really good on anyone, any age. But for "age appropriate," I think less is more. Doesn't mean I always listen to myself. LOL!

Crystal said...

I think the dress is really cute. I think you could wear it. I don't see anything inappropriate in it, or think it's "too young." I'd love to see it replicated!

I also love the dress you're working on. How chic! And the color is wonderful.

I couldn't find the details on where you bought the silk leaf print you used for the SWAP skirt, but thanks for the links. Your wardrobe is looking great! I am jealous. Someday I'll have a wardrobe that coordinates and is more than tshirts and jeans! Haha.

The yarn I used for my sweater is Rowan's Felted Tweed... I haven't heard of Watercolors. I linked to a site selling it on my blog post. It is pretty affordable for the yardage, and very nice to work with.

AR said...

I love the look of the dress you're working on. And, if you feel comfortable wearing something, then I don't think age matters a bit! Go for it! :)

Vicki said...

No not too young at all! I think age appropriate is more "figure appropriate" these days. You have figure that is more than appropriate for the style. Go for it!

Becky said...

I think the top part of that dress is structured enough to balance the gathered skirt, so it would not look too young. Personally, I'd leave off the belt and the pocket flaps.

I used to have a jumper/dress with the same lines, dropped waist with pleated skirt, but the top was plain. I loved it.

Jennifer said...

I love the look of the dress you are working on! As for the trench dress, I think it depends on the color you choose. There's a lot going on there, but in a nice neutral, I think you would look great in it.

Sharon said...

I agree with Vicki in that I think age appropriate for some items of clothing has more to do with your figure. I think this trench would work for you. Its a sharp looking dress.

Brigitte said...

Hmmm, I don't think age has anything to do with it either. I know myself, at 5'2", would not suit the style because of the ruffled skirt. Depends on your height maybe?

Summerset said...

Hmmm . . .the trench dress. I agree with the "figure appropriate" comments - go for it if you have it! If it were for myself, being a petite person, I'd lose the hip pocket flaps and shorten the skirt and torso to be proportionate. I love the belt and shoulder details, too.

Nancy said...

This is for a very tall, very thin person. With no hips and no boobs. Other than that its a great dress.

Lynne said...

I think you could make it work without the drop waist. Substitute an A-line skirt and a bit less shoulder stuff. It could be a very flattering dress...sort of shirt-dress-ish with a bit more boldness.

Pamela said...

The Burberry dress is for the tall and thin. The chest flaps, pocket flaps and hip gathers will all add girth in those places....not to mention that double-breasted garments usually add weight. I agree with the commenter who said she would leave off the flap pockets. Then the emphasis would mostly be on the upper half of the body.

I love your YSL dress; I've always wanted to see that made up. Tres elegante!! And a lovely color. Kudos!