Tuesday, June 12, 2007

The Beach/college orientation/mail

I swear, next year, everywhere we go, we are going to FLY.
In the past week we logged slightly less than 2000 miles in the car.
This is coming a month after we logged something like 1500 traveling to Sault Ste Marie for Daniel's graduation, and only 3 months before that driving out to Vail. I've had my fill of driving trips. But, guess what? We get to drive Back to S Carolina mid-August to move Lauren into the dorm, then to Athens GA to see Katie's new apt.
All is good though. We have agreed, wherever we go next year, it's going to be with an airline ticket in hand.

Lauren got to go to Orientation. She got the dorm assignment she wanted, and is all registered for classes.

I got some work done on my travel project. I think I mentioned before we left that I'd been swatching and figuring. I ended up deciding on this skirt. 1/2 of the front is finished and all of the back.
particulars:
yarn, Rowanspun 4ply in pink and slate
crochet hook size E/4
pattern, Interweave Crochet Jan 2006

I hadn't crocheted anything other than an edging on a knit garment since, well, High school. I had to remember how to read a pattern and then how to make the stitches. It's kind of like riding a bike, it's all still there.
While crocheting, especially while sitting waiting on various aspects of the orientation to finish, I listened to The Bonesetters Daughter by Amy Tan
What a fabulous read. I know it's been out for a number of years, but I'd never read it. I highly recommend it.
Gotta love that Ipod that lets you multi-task.
We did get to spend a couple of days at Myrtle Beach.
Myrtle Beach SC, random beach shot

In the Mailbox at Home:

a vintage coat pattern that I scored on ebay just before we left.
What is special about this pattern? My mom made this coat when the pattern was first issued. I remember it. It was red, and she used pewter buttons handmade at Greenfield Village. I could not resist the nostalgia of owning this pattern, even if I don't get it made up.
And...
Patrones, new here
4 whole issues of Patrones.
from left to right, the most recent "extra" that Tany sent me. Thank You Tany!
the Fiesta issue that I picked up from Stoffeart on ebay
and
2 older issues that I received in trade from Alison in Australia, for some Simplicity Patterns. I'm thinking I def got the better end of that transaction, but I know she's happy with the patterns, so it works if we're both happy.

now to sew. and Crochet. and finish up some knitting.
oh, and Drive up to Chicago area in 2 weeks to help eldest son move into his first house. My son is a homeowner....whew, I'm getting old.

You Are Snow

Magical yet potentially destructive
You are well known as fun to play with
People anticipate your arrival but then are quickly sick of you

You are best known for: your serenity

Your dominant state: reflecting

12 comments:

Tany said...

Your skirt is turning out great! I love it and it reminds me I have two ongoing crochet projects that need my attention... That coat pattern is fabulous! I think you should get it made up in red for next winter! I have all those Patrones issues, in fact I'm tracing a pattern from the Fiesta ed. right now! Have a wonderful evening, Marji!

cidell said...

Way to make me wish I could crochet.

Shannon said...

I enjoyed the anecdote about your mom making that Givenchy coat. What really caught my attention was the mention of Greenfield Village - when I was young, I went there on school trips and family outings - I loved that place!

Jennifer said...

How exciting for Lauren! How exciting for your son too, buying a home.

patsijean said...

What a beautiful, classic coat pattern. Givenchy really knew how do design a garment, didn't he?

We used to visit Greenfield Village too. The last time I visited, my best girlfriend and I flew up from Nashville. The first thing we did was visit Greenfield Village. The lilacs were in bloom. Wow! I had not smelled a lilac in years. You see a few lilacs here in the Nashville area, but there is usually not enough good, rich topsoil, so they are tiny things, and do not have as strong a fragrance. There are many, many things I miss about Michigan, and that is one.

Marina said...

Is there anything you don't do ;-) Next year, I'll learn to crochet! The skirt looks lovely.

Congrats to Lauren & you'll need to give me tips on how to cut the apron strings!

Laura said...

Marji, that skirt makes me want to learn crocheting right now!
Lauren is really pretty and I love the top and bolero that she wears in that picture.
Get a good rest and have fun! I missed you.
LauraLo

Erica B. said...

Your skirt turned out great!

Carrie K said...

No fear of flying? Lol.

That skirt is really pretty!

That is a very special coat pattern then! My mother and I were going through all our old patterns and it's just amazing how much comes back.

Mardel said...

The crochet skirt is beautiful. I don't think I have crocheted anything since maybe college but that sure looks tempting. I think I shall be grateful that I haven't been picking up Interweave crochet -- there are far to many temptations and far too little time as it is.

But travel is such great project time, be in cars or on planes.

Becky said...

The skirt is awesome. I love crochet.

Love the coat. I saw one like it in red a few years ago and have always wanted one but never found it.

Brigitte said...

Oh, I LOVE that coat pattern. Classy looks never go out of style.

The Bonesetter's Daughter is a fabulous book - Amy Tan is a wonderful storyteller.