Monday, July 16, 2007

A knit dress

Awhile ago I made this dress from a Maggy London Butterick pattern 4914
and have come close to wearing it to death since.

So yesterday I finally managed to finish this next knit dress, that has been on my machine since before the big cleaning frenzy. In the cleanup somehow I managed to lose a sleeve - ended up cutting another, after locating the stretch lining that I'd put exactly where it's supposed to be, but of course didn't SEE it when I looked there first time. (how is it that even after all that cleaning and organizing I can still waste an hour looking for something?)
Anyway, I present Simplicity 3775, Review here on PR for more detail.

There aren't really 3 layers of lace at the hem, there are just some exceptionally vivid shadows in the full afternoon sun.
I don't love the dress. Not like I love the Green one. Lots of reasons, but mostly to do with the fabric choice - a VERY stretchy lace knit that I chose to line with a nude swimwear lining - should have lined with black tricot. oh well.
And, I thought I would like the coverage at the cleavage better with the Simplicity - but in truth it feels just a tad 'dowdy' to me, Annnd....I don't love the gathers coming off the empire seam as I love the pleats coming out of the V.
So all-in-all, I guess if I make another of these dresses that are so comfy to wear they're like PJ's, it'll be from the Butterick pattern again.

Would you Look at that basil my sweet hubby grows for me to cook with? This pot of basil is on the deck right outside the kitchen door. Yum!

Meanwhile,
a teaser shot of what's already cooking on my sewing table:

15 comments:

Shannon said...

Marji - I think your new dress looks great on you. I picture it with a pair of killer heels, a sexy necklace and bracelet and you're ready to go for an evening out.

Elizabeth said...

I think the black dress has to be worked a bit more: accessories and such, whereas the green one is easier to wear barefoot on the deck. But when you need to look smashing for a dressy occasion, I think the black lace will be great!

Looks like you got your sewing mojo back.

Mardel said...

well, the dress really isn't THAT bad, but I can see why you would like it better with a black tricot lining, and the other dress is just much more generally wearable. So, the next one will be a winner again.

As to losing things...it doesn't seem to matter how organized I am, I lose things in plain sight and then create total mayhem looking for them, only to later find them exactly where they should have been all along.

Adrienne said...

Both dresses look great! Im making the simplicity one now. Thanks for the review!

julia said...

I like the green one better because it looks cozy but neat. The black one is a different dress. I agree that accessories and your shoe magic will help. I can't help but wonder if you'd love it more if it were sleeveless...

Donyale said...

I am sure that black dress would look just great on me. How clever you are - I envy that skill. My machine sits inside the cupboard taunting me.

Brigitte said...

I think the dress looks great on you too! So, if you don't want it... !!

:)

Summerset said...

Hmm. My first comment didn't appear for some weird reason. Anyway, it is interesting to note the differences in the patterns. The black dress is lovely, too bad you don't love it the way you do the green one.

Great teaser pic, what are you smocking?

Lorraine said...

Marji- You'd look good in a potato sack.
Maybe it's the color that floats your boat- you need more vibrant color in your life.

gaylen said...

I have to agree with the previous posters, the black one is more of a dressed up dress and the green one is a layabout dress - they both work - just not in the exact way you envisioned! Glad to see you got your mojo back, now will you send some to me? g

Sharon said...

I *love* the black version! I was going to tell you that you could send it my way, but I see that brigitte beat me to it!

Carolyn (cmarie12) said...

Marji - Could it be the letdown from finishing the dress and hoping that it would be as wonderful as the original be the reason that you don't like the second. I am going to give you the advice you gave me, put it away for a minute and then come back to it. You will like it better later.

BTW, I really like the dress on you. You look very pretty in it!

christina said...

OMG - I have never seen such a massive basil plant before. I didn't know that was possible.

ACorgiHouse said...

Marji, I'm a boring black/grey/beige person, so I actually love the second dress. I know from your posts/blog that you love vivid color,and perhaps that's the issue. Whoever said put it away for a bit has a good point, you are clearly comparing it to the first dress. Why not put away and get it out in the fall, when darker colors are more appropriate. Then accessorize for a dinner out rather than the deck, and I bet you like it more than you expected. karent

Becky said...

I love the black dress, too. It really does look nice on you. Besides, you'll need it when you wear out the pretty green dress. ;)