Friday, July 20, 2007

Latest project

What's on the table Now?
Ok, It's not original, in fact, I'm not even the first to copy it. But I've been dreaming about copying it since last Spring, so I'm just going to do it. Claudine did such a fabulous job, that I was a little intimidated to try, but, I'm really liking the process.
I'm using the same pattern as a starting point that Claudine used. And, If I can pull it off, this will be the pattern that I enter into the One Pattern Multiple Look contest on PR. Dont know if I'll make it with the time constraints though.
The original, by Bottega Venetta

The fabric, an Italian Cotton shirting picked up from The Wool House, a Toronto based fabric store that sells beautiful Italian fabrics, including Zegna. I'll have to get a detail closeup of the fabric, it's a very small herringbone stripe with two different colors of blue, and then there is the red pinstripe every 1/2 inch.
I had thought to stop the smocking before reaching the neckline - but now I see why B-V took it all the way up. I drew lines (chalk) on the shoulders, thinking I might take up some of the slack there - but I'm NOT liking it, so it will come out and I'll do some subtle pleats at the shoulder. I had thought to just have a triangle of smocking up the back, and leave the last 3" on each side of the side seam plain, but I may change my mind there too, and go back and finish the smocking all across. We;ll see how it plays out.

It had been since high school that I'd done any of the old fashioned dot type American Smocking.
you've got to love the web. I googled smocking and found the directions here.
It still took me a few tries to get my needle in the right place every time.

18 comments:

Carrie K said...

Oh wow. That is just mind boggling. I love smocking but it's been eons.

cidell said...

Wow. That's gorgeous.

Vicki said...

Good luck with finishing it on time! It is looking good so far...

Erica B. said...

That is gorgeous! I can't wait to see it finished.

Mardel said...

Oh, I am so glad. That is what I thought you were working on with your little teaser, and I can't wait to see your result. The fabric is gorgeous.

I've been dreaming about that dress too, but realize that I'm not going to do it. That doesn't mean I don't love drooling over other people's efforts though.

Carolyn (cmarie12) said...

Wow! This is going to be amazing!!! I like the details, red pinstriping, red smocking against the blue background. I am sure that the end result is going to be stunning.

Summerset said...

Beautiful! I love the constrast of colors in your piece.

BV has shown some really inspiring smocked pieces. I "copied"/was inspired by one this spring, too.

Claudine said...

That will be gorgeous, Marji. I am proud to have influenced your lovely project.

I went to see the original. It's made of seersucker, which is much stiffer than shirting fabric. And it's $6800.

jae said...

I can't wait to see how this turns out. It looks gorgeous!

Linda said...

This is going to look stunning! I can't wait to see the final dress.

Nancy said...

Fabulous. I too loved this dress but I had no idea how to smock. I can't wait to see the finished dress.
By, the way, what iron did you finally decide on? You were the one who posted you were in need of a new iron, right?

Adrienne said...

Beautiful! I can't wait to see it finished!

Brigitte said...

Oh wow, that's beautiful! Marji, you're amazing, so talented.

Becky said...

That smocking is awesome! Love that pattern.

Laura said...

It looks great so far! I must admit I really like that smocking on the shoulder seam...
LauraLo

mermaids said...

so very cool. not your grandmother's smocking!

teri

beth said...

I tried a smocked dress this year, too, but it makes me look fat--a little too much going on around the waistline for me. I didn't do the smocking in the same place as the bv--now I know better!!

Anyway, yours is already looking awesome! and I can't wait to see the finished creation in its glory.

Anonymous said...

Marji - I am SO glad you blogged about this - I remember seeing it in Vogue, and it just took my breath away. Finding examples of smocking outside of baby clothes is a rare as hen's teeth. I can't wait to see the finshed result! Phyllis