Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Organization and Progress

I"m so excited!
The Drops Cardi is ready for sleeves. I'm joining Marina and Lorraine and half the rest of the knitting world on sleeve island for a spell.
The yarn for this is the Blue Sky Alpaca and Silk, and it's just the most wonderful stuff. It's also "crunchy", don't know how else to describe it.

and now, you may just want to avert your eyes.


I Cannot believe I am posting this "Before" picture.
You know those make-over shows where they go in and completely clean the slate and then start over? That's what I feel the need to do.
Projects, fabric and supplies cover every available surface. Who can work like this? not me.


I also felt the need to get all the rest of my fabric stash in plain sight. In part to avoid this:
Opening the trunk and rifling through looking for fabric that I "know" is there, then leaving the mess.

So, I brought in another shelving unit, I pulled all my fabric out from trunks and bins, and I've been stacking it on the shelving or rolling what I can onto those bolts.
I'm SABLE (Stash Amassed Beyond Life Expectancy). If there was any doubt, this should erase that. And, I keep walking into rooms and finding more fabric...some in the laundry room that I'd pre-shrunk awhile ago, then hung, some velvet hanging on velvet hangers over on the other side of the basement, some knits laying flat to dry in an upstairs bedroom.
The goal today is to finish collecting it from everywhere, finish the organization and clean-up, and be ready/able to take pictures of the workable space by this evening.

Thanks to Elizabeth M I also discovered Freecycle. It's a community based yahoo group.
"This Freecycle™ group matches people who have things they need to get rid of with people who can use them. Our goal is to keep usable items out of the landfill. By using what we already have on this earth, we reduce consumerism, manufacture fewer goods, and lessen the impact on the earth. Another benefit of using Freecycle™ is that it encourages us to get rid of junk that we no longer need and promote community involvement in the process. Free your inner pack rat!"



I've so far managed to find a new home for my old US Blindstitch machine


75 or so patterns that I will not use again or never used in the first place,

and 2 bags of fabrics, total weight about 50 lbs.

I also Freecycled some books from the bookshelves upstairs, but that is a topic for another day, and all of the old computer equipment in the basement.

11 comments:

toya said...

lol,, you are a brave woman to share you before pics,, lol

Mardel said...

Brave, brave woman! Mine has looked like that. And I can see why you lost the motivation to sew, that would take it out of almost anyone.

Good luck on the continuing organization.

cidell said...

Freecycle is great. I got rid of loads of books through them. Good luck organizing. I once thought I would straighten after every project, but, um, well....

Elizabeth said...

I wish I could make those pictures big enough to really see the details! But, it's probably all too familiar to me already, in a general way, as my work space definitely upholds the rule about everything tending toward entropy.

Carolyn (cmarie12) said...

Marji ~ believe it or not I have seen worse! Just keep working at it and it will get into order. Then your sewing mojo will come back when its all organized and you can see all that you have to work with!

Becky said...

I love freecycle. It's a great way to relieve the packrat cycle.

Good luck with the re-organization. I'll be doing that later this week when DH leaves town for a week.

Carrie K said...

Are those the "After" pictures? At least you've got it to get rid of!

Freecycle sounds like a lifesaver - we're about to clear out for painting the interior.

The Drops Cardi looks gorgeous!

Donyale said...

You brave woman - it feels SO good when you go in after you have cleaned it all up thought doesn't it.

Linda said...

Marji - Just like Carolyn, I have seen worse; and it was in my own house. But you are right, the motivation to sew is greatly lowered when you "feel" cluttered. Clearly this level of mess makes you feel cluttered. I have a higher level of tolerance. :) At least I used to. I work very hard at keeping the room cleaned and organized. I can't stand it when I can't find something. I can't wait to see the after photos.

Marina said...

Still waiting for the "after" pictures ;-)

The trick to working in a room like that is to have your back to it and face the only space that is nice and tidy! Well, that's what I do !

Lorraine said...

Wow- my only question is: how are you going to get all that on your boat when the time comes.
They'll need to re-comission the Queen Mary!
And we can all live on sleeve Island happily ever after!