Monday, August 13, 2007

Finally!

The first iteration of the dress is finished, finally!
For the entire photoset see the flickr set here
The inspiration came from the Bottega Venetta dress from the Spring 07 collection.



Details:

In order to smock the dress I measured off two skirt lengths and a two bodice lengths from a piece of Italian cotton shirting that I picked up at the Sewing Expo in Novi MI in Sept '05 from The Wool House, a Toronto based fabric store. (Shannon has a some beautiful inside pics from her latest visit to the store here)

I then drew lines 1/2" apart square to the stripe in the fabric, and smocked for the back bodice the triangle that you see, and for the skirt, just a rectangle that extended 3" into the skirt to create a yoke.



in order to line up the smocked triangles on the skirt with those in the bodice it was necessary to hand baste the seam right on the stitching line.





I did the same for the front, bodice and skirt, just guessing on where the block of smocking should fall to be on the shoulder. I guessed wrong and after the dress was assembled and the shoulder seams sewn (with narrow pretty little french seams) I ended up having to remove the shoulder seam, take out the smocked block, completely move it over the width of the whole block, then restitch the shoulder seams, mostly by hand.

Once all the smocking was done, and I'd attached the bodice to the skirt pieces, I then overlaid the pattern for the shirtwaist dress Vogue 8353 , in which I'd pinned out the pleats, marked the dart that forms the collar shaping, and cut out and assembled the dress.





I did cut the width of the collar lapel on the dress pattern by 1/2.

The Vogue pattern itself is incredibly basic and easy, although I will say that the collar construction leaves a lot to be desired.
If I'd been able to finish on time, and there is another version of this dress on my worktable right now, this would have been my entry for the One Pattern Multiple Looks contest on PR
The other version I'm making also bears no resemblance to Vogue's version of this pattern. Maybe next week it'll be ready to show. ??
Big congratulations to Vonnevo who won the contest with her entry of a Butterick jacket made 3 ways.

17 comments:

Erica B. said...

Marji, that is stunning! I love that dress! And it looks fabulous on you!

christina said...

What an incredible piece of work; it's gorgeous.

Carrie K said...

That dress looks fabulous on you! Can't wait to see the 'other' version!

Cherie said...

Marji, what a gorgeous dress, looks comfortable and classy on you! I was so interested in how it would come out because of the unique treatment! Love the red belt with it!

Shannon said...

What an incredible amount of time, patience and love went into this garment. You are a true textile artist. Wow!

Carolyn (cmarie12) said...

Marji - the next time you compliment one of my garments I am just gonna be so thrilled...because I just can not sew like this! This dress is just amazing, a work of art, stupendous! Girl, there aren't enough adjectives to describe how friking beautiful this dress! You did the damn thing!!!!!

Donna Hodgson said...

You totally outshine us all! (Not that I'm in the running, mind you) Your dress is beautiful and shows your hard work. Wear it with pride.

Romi said...

Wow! That is too cool! :)

Marina said...

Bravo! The dress looks fantastic. Bet you wowed them all at Stitches!

Summerset said...

Unreal! You look fantastic! I love the red belt that really defines the waist. What a great interpretation of the BV.

Lorraine said...

Marji- I want Marina to know that yes, you did wow them at Stitches.
I still think it would be a great idea to hold a Knitbloggers convention, and hold the Queen Mother of all Markets- we would all get to vote on what retailers we want there.
And they thought the Wizards were weird.............

cidell said...

That is amazing. Just looks stunning.

Kim said...

Love the smocking! Thanks so much for the Rickman link!!!

Becky said...

Wow! Fantastic work on the smocking. That is a classic!

Jennifer said...

I like it!

beth said...

Wow!! the dress is gorgeous and looks great on you! Those are some beautiful colors, too. Well done and I'm SO GLAD it worked out for you!

Anonymous said...

The dress is so surprising (smocking!) and breathtaking (gorgeous color!). The fit is tremendous, as is the painstaking work that went into it. Your work is such an inspiration to me. I'm not sure I'll ever tackle something as challenging, but it sure makes me want to go the extra mile with my sewing.
- EME