Monday, August 20, 2007

She Said YES!!

I'm going to acquire a daughter-in-law :)
Daniel (the May Graduate) popped the question on Saturday and Ashlee said yes.

Meanwhile, I've been sitting in an automobile for the better part of the last 4 days - 1600 miles worth. That, and moving a kid into a college dorm, then going to visit another one and seeing her off-campus apt for the first time. When I wasn't driving I was knitting. That's a lot of knitting time.
LeeAnn asked if I'm liking the Selbuvotter knitting, and the answer is an emphatic Yes!
I need to get better on the two handed stranded knitting. Most of this I've knit two handed, but every once in awhile I needed to give my left hand a rest, and I've reverted to the right hand only knitting that I know how to do well.
Mostly, I'm having a lot of difficulty maintaining the tension on the yarn (Yes, it's wound around my tiny finger) in my left hand. I think it's just a matter of practice, but if anyone has any great tips I'm open to them.
I'm also using magic loop - I couldn't imagine knitting in the car and dropping a dpn - or rather, I could imagine it.



While at Stitches I picked up Sheila McGregor's book on Scandinavian stranded knitting, and started to read that one night when I was too wiped out to knit. She has a whole chapter on the Selbu mittens, and a chart or two. But, for my purposes, I'm so glad I have the Selbuvotter book. The directions and the charts are very clear, and for someone who wants their knitting spoon-fed to them, this is just perfect.
I'd highly recommend it if you're at all interested in the Selbu knit mittens and gloves. The book itself is the outgrowth of a thesis project. The author (you'd think I could look up her name right now wouldn't you?) started out to catalogue the museum collection of Selbu knitwear and ended up being offered the opportunity to examine and chart every design. There are many of them, and the reading is as fascinating as the knitting. Right now I want to knit many of them.

22 comments:

Adrienne said...

Awww, congrats!!! And your project looks great!

Anne said...

This would be more useful if I could remember who it was who said this, but I did a bit of research on continental style knitting (yarn in LH only) a while ago - the person writing (who was a big name, and something of a continental style guru, which is why it's particularly annoying that I can't remember who it was) said that she always had to go down at least one needle size to get gauge - in other words even she couldn't get the same tension as she would have had with the yarn in her RH.

Which doesn't help you at all, as you can't use a different needle for each colour - but at least you're in good company. (And don't you want it fairly loose for colour work anyway - your floats don't want to be tight.)

And congratulations to Daniel and Ashlee

Mardel said...

Congratulations!

And the knitting looks fabulous! Yeah 1600 miles leaves a lot of knitting time. Having lost lots of DPNs in the car and along the side of the road (where else could they be?) I really should learn magic loop, it would extend my car-knitting horizons.

Elizabeth said...

The mitten's looking fabulous!

Anonymous said...

Hi Marjorie,

Great mittens! I am glad that you are taking up the left handed style. I think that you will like it.

Have a great time this week with D.
Love Mom

Donyale said...

Marji - check out this video - this lady has a great double stranded left handed style. I think it will help heaps.

http://knitknitfrog.blogspot.com/2007/06/tagged-me-why-im-flattered.html

Kim said...

Congratulations to you all!

Summerset said...

Congratulations to all!

The mittens are beautiful!

The J said...

Thanks for mentioning the book - I had just seen the moose mittens on Ravelry (swoon), but the knitter linked to a Swedish site, and with the name I assumed it was a Swedish or Norwegian book! Yeah, I can read it!!!

There are as many ways to tension the yarn as there are Continental knitters - keep playing around until you find something you like. Me, I just drape it over my index finger and along my left palm. Squeezing my hand more or less controls my tension just fine - I find the looping or weaving around other fingers irritates my skin and makes my tension too tight, but YMMV.

Lorraine said...

Marji- Congratulations to you and your future DIL.

The mittens are fascinating. I hope you can devote some time to them now.

tatjana said...

Congratulations to all of you!! There are few things happier than adding a member to the family :) I always believed, the bigger the better lol! And your mitten is gorgeous!! I need to make a similar pair now that I'm finally giving colourwork a try. I'll check out that book of yours....

toya said...

OMG, congrats, I am so happy for you and your family, this is wonderful news.

Romi said...

Woooohoooooo! Congratulations!

Great mittens, too. :)

Paula said...

Oh that is great news! Congratulations!
Oh and nice knitting!
Beautiful pattern.

Carolyn (cmarie12) said...

First Congrats on becoming a MIL! Second the mitten is amazing! Absolutely amazing!

beth said...

On tiny bamboo dpns in the car--my husband said "be careful with those, if we're in a wreck, the police will think we were attacked by ninja warriors."

I KNEW those mittens would look great.

What will you be making to celebrate your son's engagement?

Jennifer said...

Congratulations!

I have that book too. I love your mitten project! It looks great.

Brigitte said...

Aw, that's such great news! Congratualtions!

I found a Norwegian stranded mitten kit in my stash (who knew?) that I can't wait to start! Yours look great, such attention to detail. And the blues are a nice change from black and white.

Carrie K said...

Congratulations!

And that mitten looks great. I've been pulling out my stranded mitten books lately, but I don't have the Selbuvotter one. Yet.

Mary, Mary... said...

Congrats! I love the mittens, but the smocked dress is incredible. When I grow up, I want to be able to sew like you1

LMH said...

Pretty mitten! I have the same problem re: left-handed knitting. My little finger on the left hand is a bit weak & not as good at tensioning as the right one. So I wrap the yarn around the little finger and then keep the finger near or on the knitting; when I need the yarn to flow, I raise the finger a little and let more out. Left-handed knitting is something I learned later in life, so my hand gets tired doing it (and it can really bother my wrist), so I often go back to knitting with both strands in the right hand, at which I'm very good, since I've been doing that since I was a kid.

In my experience, something that's even more important for evenly tensioned and even-looking stranded knitting than holding yarn in both hands is being consistent about stranding so that the pattern yarn ALWAYS goes under the background yarn. Maybe you know about this already? If not, there's a good explanation of why this really matters in Ann Feitelson's Fair Isle knitting book--or if you don't have it and you're interested,just ask, and I'll give you the lowdown.

lisa

knancyknitter said...

Pretty mittens, for you aching fingers;
If you are streightening the fingers to do the knitting; work them, with resistance, gripping something like a 'stress buster ball' or just the forarm above the other hand.
If you are kniting with your fingers using a gripping motion, work them streightening them against resistance. Wrap the hand that is distressed in the other fist and try to open the fingers in question. Resist the opening with the outside hand.

This works to balance the strength of the muscles of your hands so that they do not ache or become spasm riddeled.

Happy knitting.