Wednesday, September 12, 2007

miscellany, and Happy B;day to my baby bro - just in case he pops in to read this

Library Enhancement

In the mail, from Jae
Thank you Jae. Ohhh, I'm torn between knitting more mittens and starting an Aran.




At Barnes and Noble today (my pampering stop after the Dentist this A.M.) I picked up the latest Threads (not as great as the last issue, let me say), and on my way out, after having Tea and perusing some books, I walked past a table with "Craft" books on sale.
I scored Volumes Two (Cables) and Three (Colorwork) of the Vogue Stitchionary Books, at 50% off, then another 10% off. Total after tax: $28. For both. I've found that I love the stitch dictionaries, and these have a lot more depth than I first expected. (I just linked to B&N website, where the books are also avail on sale...happy little enabler that I am)

Then, while drinking my tea and flipping through the knitting mag's, I saw an ad for Nordic Fiberarts. The ad read something along the lines of "Some copies left of Norsk Strikkedesign and Poetry in Stitches". What??
Well, thank heavens for cell phones. I called immediately.
Yes, I'm sad to say, both books are going OOP. She told me they have maybe 6 copies left of Poetry in Stitches, and more of Norske Strikkedesign. I've had my copy of Poetry in Stitches for years, but I've really been coveting the Strikkedesign book for the last year or so. So guess what's winging it's way here?
So, just to pick up the link for this post, I clicked on Nordic Fiberarts. Did you see the Selbustrikk book of mittens? Lovely. Different charts than the Selbuvotter. oh my...

ok, put me on your Christmas list, and that book goes on top. I'll even knit you some mittens from it.


Meanwhile

I've been listening to books faster than I can change my sidebar.
I Heart Audible.com

Lifted from Cidell, who's also Erudite...this one goes out to CarrieK. Carrie, I expect no less than a complete A (I got the A- , I think it had to do with phlegmatic).
Your Vocabulary Score: A-

Congratulations on your multifarious vocabulary!
You must be quite an erudite person.

13 comments:

Donyale said...

I did it too. The vocab thingey I mean.

What would I have to send you at Christmas to get a pair of mittens? I wouldn't need them till next May....

Marina said...

Now that you've mastered stranded mittens, what is it going to take to get you to start a sweater ;-)

cidell said...

I may have to try and marry in to your family to get some mittens too. I also heart Audible!

Adrienne said...

Oh I LOVE audible!! It is WONDERFUL!!!

Lorraine said...

Marji- The Gladys Thompson book is wonderful- and I've always coveted Poetry in Stitches.
Great finds.

Carrie K said...

I heart Audible and their sales. Just scored about 4 books yesterday. Now I need an iPod.

Ha. I did get an A. Whew.

I'll have to pick up Poetry in Stitches, if I still can.

Brigitte said...

Oh, you are going to LOVE Norskstrikkedesign. It is an amazingly beautiful book, and my favourite of the two.

Great finds!

Jennifer said...

I really need to check out Audible!

Love the stranded mittens. They are a great colorwork project as it's not too overwhelming.

Anonymous said...

Hi Marji!
I love love love the mittens. How exciting that you have knit them for the fiance!

I did the erudite test and got an "A"
but them I was always good at english classes.
MM

knittinbrit_in_wi said...

Marji,

I had never heard of this website and now am completely hooked. I love the mittens you've been doing by the way. I had recently purchased some yarn for some mitten projects.

I'm heading to Marshfield and Schoolhouse this weekend for a workshop and plan on grabbing some more satakieli for some latvian mittens.

So, when can we expect a Poetry in Stitches project for us to view?

Kim D.
knittinbrit

Mary, Mary... said...

Both of the Scandinavian books are marvelous. I have the yarn, picked out a pattern and now all I need is TIME. Hope you cast on soon!

Nancy W. said...

I'm tagging you!

beth said...

Since my operating definition of "phlegmatic" is "full of phlem, as in havin a cold," I'm sure my score would be much less than a-