Monday, September 24, 2007

Monday Monday; mitten choices, a meme


mitten choices
Originally uploaded by mlweaving
First off, It's Monday and I've been absent from the computer Again.
so, to catch up.
It's been quite a couple of weeks.
1. Kim and DeeAnn have both emerged from Hibernation. Welcome back to the land of virtual friends, my friends.
2. I finally got and accepted my invite to Ravelry. What little computer time I've had in the last week has been spent there, but I PROMISE my friends over at Stitchers Guild and PR, I will balance out soon.
3. I got an email from Scribner asking if I would read then review a book on my blog for them. ??? Really? Well, evidently, really! The book arrived in the mail middle of last week. Details to come forthwith. teaser: it is a Novel, and a certain real-life figure by the name of Coco plays a prominent part.
4. After a rather long dry spell, I've been knitting again, with abandon. And making some serious progress. Pics to come. (beginning to sound like a refrain of promises, promises).
5. Again, after a long hiatus, I've become a Joiner again. I've joined a mystery Lace KAL (the Yahoo group Secret of the Stole), The Fall Cable KAL again, (last year I won a copy of Janet Szabo's Aran knitting book via this KAL), a Ravelry Mitten exchange (see part 2 of todays entry, I'm interested), an online reading group, and the Yahoo group to knit Fulmar. each and every one of these topics will fill up an entire blog post.
6. I've also done some work in the past week that I've actually gotten paid for. Not a bad thing. Job hunting though, is at a crawl.

Part 2
taking a survey
disregarding colors for a moment, what would be your preference in a mitten. Please reply in comments, and rank in order by number.
1. Latvian mitten (this is my own project
2. A Selbu mitten - not necessarily with the date, but the type
3.a heavily cabled gauntlet
4.a light cabled one. This one is by theLadyWyvern, is her own design, and the pattern is available for sale at
sldknitting.com/arms1.html StreetLegalDesigns.com
5. Stranded gauntlet mittens ala Magnificent mittens. This one is the project of jmolaei on Ravelry

and last: Nancy Tagged me
8 things about me you might not know. hmmm? I feel like I'm a pretty open book. So this stuff may just be pretty obscure.
1. I love fish and seafood but can't abide clams, oysters or mussells
2. I can't run. I win x-country ski races and can swim, cycle and sail, but I cannot run.
3. I'm terrified of alligators. I have alligator nightmares, regularly. And I've never lived where there really are alligators.
4. I love walking on the shore of Lake Michigan up North in February.
5. I've gone winter camping, alone, when it was -5F
6. I'm a take-it or leave-it person when it comes to chocolate. I like it, but wouldn't walk a mile for it.
7. I'm not a big fan of variegated yarn (oops, if you've been reading this blog for awhile, you already knew that)
8. I went to the Canary Islands on my senior trip for high school, and I bought YARN there. (can you even believe it?) it's true.

If you want to be tagged, consider yourself tagged.

13 comments:

cidell said...

I vote for 1, 2 and then three. I just saw some very cheapo #1 version at Urban Outfitters.

And I'm with you on the chocolte.

Elizabeth said...

1, but with less Baltic braid. I love that stuff as much as the next person, but that really is a bit too much.

Elizabeth said...

Oh, that was brutally candid of me: I just realized it says it's your own project. You have a lot more patience than I do!

Donna Hodgson said...

#2, thank you!

Marina said...

Gauntlets are a bit too strange to me, so my choice will be #2!

Only Coco I know is Coco Chanel.

Anne said...

Umm - my top 2 would be No2 then No1 - I'm also not a big gauntlet person...

(Hi btw!)

knittinbrit_in_wi said...

Choices:

Ranked in Order
#2
#1
#3 without the gauntlet
#4 with fingers & #5 without gauntlet (are tied)

You are quite the joiner.

Not a clue on what the yarn is though. Good luck in the search.

Tany said...

Humm.... My preference goes to option #4.

LauraLo said...

Welcome back, Marji! I'm happy to see you're alive and kicking :)

The J said...

Gauntlets/flared ends always look to me like they'd funnel wind right down my wrists - tight arms are really important to me!

So, given that, it's a toss up between #2 and #4 - two months ago, it would have been #4, but I've just been bitten by the colourwork bug and I'm all about Scandinavian mittens now!!

Jenna/tumblina

Summerset said...

I like 3 and 4. Three appeals to me because I like to knit cables, but I like the colorwork of four.

Brigitte said...

I may be in the minority...but I'm partial to #3.

Mardel said...

Well, 2, and 3 although I like 5 also.

I tend to only have traditional mittens but there have been a couple of times when I have been outside in the cold and some cold air came up my sleeve when I thought a well-fitted pair of gauntlets would be just perfect.

So nice to have you back.