Monday, December 10, 2007

When Real-Life meets Virtual-Life

disclaimer: This is not a new project
I received the most extraordinary email today. It started out "I got to see your mom's Lady Eleanor a few hours ago. As soon as your mom stood up, I recognized the "Lady Eleanor" pattern"... I knit this Lady E (the shawl, I made the skirt, but it's not knit) for my mom, and gave it to her a year and a half ago for her birthday. Evidently, she does wear it. Cool. She was wearing it to church yesterday, when she was spotted.
This was written to me by a woman who is a sewing enthusiast and knitter. Someone who told me she lurks on Stitchers Guild, and is also on Ravelry, but doesn't post much. (I guess I post enough to be recognizable -- blush) And she reads this blog. She went on to write some very complimentary things about me and my mom, for which I thank her, from the bottom of my heart. It was an amazing experience to receive an email from someone who has seen my work, IRL.

She also wrote that she likes the variety of subjects I post about, as did many of you. In emails, and on comments. Thank you all.
So, ok, you'll continue to get a variety of subject matter.
Several of you also wrote that you're thinking about combining your blogs because it's too much to keep up different blogs for different subjects. I can only say...go for it! The response to both Toya's survey and my post were, keep the various content together.

Speaking of Toya....guess what came in my mail while I was off playing in Chicago? My own personal copy of Tim Gunn's Guide to Style Thank You Toya! She had a contest, I won, and she sent me this book as a lovely gift. I have Plans for this. You didn't know it, but I Do, and you'll see, I'll let you know when it's time to see.

Q&A: Every once in awhile I get very specific questions from someone in my comments - but I have no way to respond, as the comment comes to me as 'no-reply, blogger'. This week, the question is, is the Bernina 125-145 series a 3/4 Machine? the answer is Yes. It is not a full size machine, but it is a gem. I'd recommend it. In fact, I recommended one to my mom, who bought one 2 or 3 years ago. I'm pretty sure she got the 135 and added the optional knee-lift.

Lastly, to borrow a device from Summerset, the parting shot:
Admittedly, it's a camera phone shot - but, see all that misty white in the night sky? It was Snowing, capital S when we got into Chicago last Tuesday. We walked to dinner, along Michigan Ave, and this is what greated our eyes. Me, I love it.


knittinbrit_in_wi said...

I'm loving the snowy pic too.

So glad that you decided to continue posting on a variety of subjects. I enjoy hearing about all of your interests and have found that it motivates me to try new things.

That was so kind of that lady to send you an email about your work, your mother and yourself.

Carrie K said...

That is so very cool that your mom wears Lady E and was "caught" doing so!

And oh yes. One blog. Many subjects. My favorite way.

Carolyn (cmarie12) said...

That is really kewl about your mom's shawl being recognized! I would be proud too!

Jennifer said...

I love Tim Gunn! I bet that's an interesting read.

Mary, Mary... said...

Thanks for the review of The Collection--I know there are a bunch of bios of Chanel, Schiaparelli, Patou etc... but I'd be interested in an armchair overview of haute couture since 1900--I'll have to check out her bibliography. AND I can't wait to see how the houndstooth turns out!

Brigitte said...

Oh wow, that's a beautiful shot of the snowy sky!

And your Mom's Lady Eleanor? I just LOVE the bead. And I can't get over you made not one, but two entrelac shawls...

Lorraine said...

I guess being stylish runs in the family- it's a lovely shawl.

All the best to you and yours for the holidays.

beth said...

The shawl is spectacular!

I enjoy reading your blog. Process photos are interesting and so many sewists do them well. Back when I was blogging I couldn't stop to take photos of works in process. It seemed to take away from my experience of sewing and knitting, somehow.

One thing I wouldn't mind seeing process photos of is the Latvian mittens and the others with the beautiful colorwork. Mine are all pull-y due to not-getting-it with the color changes.

Anyway, thanks for all of your sharing! Merry Christmas!