All weekend, and pretty much all week, we've been involved with cleaning out here. Trips to goodwill, the trash can and off-loading stuff to college kids for apartments has been the order of the day.
Today, this week, I must work on the jersey dresses for myself and the girls, so that we have some casual easy dresses to wear to the beach in South Carolina next week.
oh, and I've been working on sampling and swatching for the next project, which will be my travel project for the car. I think I've arrived at the perfect match of pattern and stashed yarn - but will hold off announcing it till I'm sure.
Meanwhile, from the land of the sewing machine:
A sewist over on SG was wondering about stitching a princess seam dress, with godets, out of chiffon with french seams.
Just so happens, I've done that.
(OMG, it's time to hit the gym and diet with intention. Look how fit and in shape I was. oh, I want to cry...how did this happen to me in such a short time?)
Dress Fabric - embroidered and embellished silk chiffon
Godet Fabric - solid tomato color silk georgette
lining - china silk
I stitched the dress seams using a french seam to within about 3/4" of the godet point. Clip to the seam, and then stitched a regular seam, right sides together to the point of the godet.
I inserted the godets.
I constructed the lining, also using french seams. Didn't want any of those loose fraying edges showing through the chiffon. I then used the narrow roll hem foot for my Bernina to stitch the hems on each individual lining section.
the dress called for a center back zipper application - I put it in the back, then ripped it out and inserted it in the side seam, shortening the zipper to about 16". The show through on the back seam was really offensive.
Hemming the dress
After several false starts and trying of different methods, I ended up using fusible thread to start my hem finish.
1. I cut the hem 3/4" longer than I wanted the finished length of the dress.
2. I wound a bobbin with the fusible thread, then stitched 1/4" from the edge along the hemline
3. I ironed up the 1/4" right along the stitching line. at this point, the fusible thread bonds the turned edge and the top thread just pulls away from the fabric on the right side.
4. I trimmed as close as possible to the fused edge - leaving less than 1/8" turn under.
5. back at the machine I turned that edge under again and overcast stitched it using a small zigzag stitch, and changing both bobbin and top thread at every color change of the fabric.
A totally 1980s jazzercise costume
1 hour ago