Friday, February 08, 2008

Caribbean Bound


I adore this little Adri top.


Fabric, Crinkle cotton border print from Eunice Farmer Fabrics circa 2005
Buttons are Czech cut glass. I bought these buttons from a little antique store in Racine WI at the end of a bike tour that dh and I did- the SAGBRAW along the shoreline of Lake Michigan.
This antique dealer had an incredible button collection. He told me that he bought the inventory from an defunct button factory in Czechoslovakia at the end of the 1970's.




above: detail of the neckline finished with bias binding
I had to back the buttons with little backer buttons.





Caribbean Bound wardrobe.
not a SWAP, nothing so organized. Just what I've been sewing to take with us.
But for today's news. The Caribbean Bound wardrobe is complete. Not packed yet, but on the bed folded and ready to pack
Caribbean Bound wardrobe:
1 dress
2 shorts - yellow linen with cuff and blue cotton without cuff
1 capri - black with embroidered hemline
1 island wrap pant
7 tops.

Maybe tomorrow, if I'm organized enough before we leave, I'll write the entry about the Island Pant. If not, look for it when we return

Happy Sailing!

oh, and P.S. Do you want to know what's funny?
So many of you weighed in on the options for my next significant sewing challenge, saying you "loved the Dior". I thank you so much for expressing the opinion, but, Well, which Dior?
Both the white suit with the lace overlay and the floral jacket are House of Dior designs.
In the event, the voting supports that roughly 2/3 of you favor the white lace Dior over the other two designs.
And since I really want that suit, (as well as both other outfits), when I return I'll begin the process for making the lace suit. That one I can pretty much do on my own, and I'm confident of the design and execution process. The Gaultier for Dior floral jacket is the biggest Challenge, and I think that's the garment that I'll ask for help from Susan Khalje when she's here in April.

18 comments:

Adrienne said...

I hope you have a fab time! I was able to make my wardrobe for my trip last week and it was the best thing!!!

cidell said...

Have a great trip! I voted for the white lace Dior. And, I hope you get to stop by Grenada and have many many photos when you get back!

Vicki said...

Have a wonderful time!! Those glass buttons are a perfect match for the Adri top.

Alexandra said...

Love the buttons! What a find! Have a great trip!

Sigrid said...

Lovely set for a holiday (or any summer day!). Have a great trip.
And I'm very much looking forward to seeing your Dior suit.

toya said...

every thing looks so comfortable and breezy, I hope you have a wonderful time, I don't know when I'm going home, when you see the island them them I said hi.

knittinbrit_in_wi said...

You're going to look lovely and bright and cheerful on your trip. Enjoy yourself and relax after all that sewing.

I personally voted for the White Dior. I think it's beautiful!!!!

Happy Vacationing!

Kathleen C. said...

Your Carribean wardrobe is stunning, beautiful colors and shapes and patterns... love the glass buttons too!
Have a great trip!

Carolyn (cmarie12) said...

Ohmygosh, YOU need help! That's encouraging 'cause I thought you could sew anything!

BTW, I love your Caribbean wardrobe especially the little extra touches like the glass buttons, the border print hems and the embroidery. You are going to look fantastic on your wonderful vacation!

Have a great time!

Claudine said...

Very impressive, Marji! Have a wonderful time wearing all your beautiful clothes!

Rosemary aka fabricfan said...

Have fun, LOVE the clothes. I'll be thinking of you.

Becky said...

What a great wardrobe for your trip. The colors are awesome. You give such wonderful attention to the details.

Tany said...

Wow, what a fabulous wardrobe! I hipe you have a wonderful time!

Birgitte said...

I'm late on wishing you bon voyage, and your suitcase is packed with priceless gems!! I went sailing in the Caribbean twice and I'll never forget it. Warm, salty spray, flying fish- and romance (dreamy eyed teenager that I was...)

Carrie K said...

I'm late too, but Bon Voyage! You're well dressed for it!

Buttons with history, that's what I like to hear about.

And the white lace Dior.

Brigitte said...

I hope you're having a wonderful trip! Chris' sister and BIL just returned from sailing the BVIs.

Beautiful wardrobe!

Cennetta said...

Love the wardrobe. Hope you had a great vacation.

Linda said...

I looked at the photo of your vacation clothes. What pattern did you use for the longer tunic on the far right in your photo? From looking at your vacation photos I think it is just the thing I am looking to make for my vacation.