Friday, February 22, 2008

We're back

Click on the photo below for the link to the preliminary photo album.


And I didn't see any yarn or any knitting of any sort while we were gone - but look what I found on a side street in St Thomas:


We had big winds - the boat charter people, who were terrific BTW, said the winds were more typical of what they call "Christmas winds" than late winter wind. knot meter typically hung around 20-22 knots (a knot is 1.15 mph) and we did see 30 knots (about 35 mph) while we were sailing. The boat performed beautifully.

And we saw
1. a whale - it breached, then blew, then flipped it's fluke - just off our stern rail
2. a porpoise - just one, but it jumped up and looked in our port window while we were at anchorage and I was down looking out that same window - startled me I can tell you. Then it hung around to play in the anchorage and entertain lots of folks on different boats.
3. a sea turtle swimming along beside our boat

oops, I'm getting kicked off the web at Panera, where I'm online.
We returned to an ice storm and no internet service at home.

Later friends.

17 comments:

Alexandra said...

Great pictures! Just looking at them felt like a mini-vacation. I love the rainbow one. Thank you for sharing. It looks like you had a great time.

Elizabeth said...

What a wonderful album! It just looks so perfectly idyllic. There's one photo of you toward the end of the album in which you look so completely relaxed: what vacation is for!

nancy k said...

Welcome back. Looks wonderful and warm! Warmer than LA was, that's for sure.

ACorgiHouse said...

Looks like your vacay was spectacular! Hate the ice storm, but I guess it brings real life back in a hurry. I'd like to see/hear about the island wrap pants. I'm headed for St. Maarten in May, making some stuff to take, and want something other than the usual tshirt/shorts/tank dress. When you're unpacked and get a chance, can you update what you thought? karent

Carole said...

Thanks for taking me along with you (virtually, anyway) on your vacation! It brought back some great memories.

Lorraine said...

Marji- Looks like you had a great time.

My brother jusy got back from St. Lucia (Sandals resort) and he said the waves were high, and the food was great.

(how many pairs of shoes did you fit on the boat?)

jae said...

It looks like you had a fabulous trip! And did you actually try the duck pizza?

Rosemary aka fabricfan said...

My hubby and I enjoyed looking at your pictures. It looked like a great holiday.

Vicki said...

Great photos! Thanks for sharing....

LauraLo said...

Wow, what a great holiday! Welcome back, Marji, hope my little package has reached you by now!

Brigitte said...

Welcome back Marji! So glad you had a great time, those pictures make me long for sailing season...

What was the name of the company you used to rent the sailboat? Chris' sister and BIL (and him as well) have rented several times in BVIs, as recently as this past January.

latoya said...

So glad you had a good time!!!

cidell said...

I would steal that sign so fast....

Carrie K said...

Glad you had fun! I'm more entranced by that fabric sign than your porpoise story. Almost.

castingaway said...

Your pictures are terrific!

birgitte said...

What wonderful photos! You and your husband look like such a fun, lovable couple- I'd hang with you anytime:-) The pictures brought a bit of melancholy as well since I probably never will sail again. DH shares most of my delights in life, but sailing is not among them. Thanks for sharing- I truly enjoyed 'taking the trip'.

Ann's Fashion Studio said...

What wonderful pictures..Thank you for sharing. Looks like you had a great vacation :)