Wednesday, March 26, 2008

A Vintage Machine - The Pfaff 130

front view

Isn't this beautiful?
This, (well, not this exact one, but one Just Like This One)is the machine that I learned to stitch my first stitches on.
In those days, we didn't have "family rooms" and craft rooms and all the other rooms you find in houses now. What we did have was a "back bedroom". Except, it wasn't used as a bedroom. It was the room we used as if it were a family room. The television was back there, and my mom's sewing machine was back there. I would sit at my mom's feet (probably getting in the way), picking up her scraps and sewing with them.
The first garments I made weren't doll clothes in the traditional sense, they were clothes for trolls. Click on the link or the pic to read a great website by a woman who's roughly my age who still has a thing for trolls.


When my mom felt I was old enough, and probably when she had patience and time enough (I'm the eldest of 5 kids), she taught me to sew on her machine. I couldn't have been any older than 8.
At 10, when she wanted her own machine back again because I was spending too much time at it, my parents got me my own first machine - I believe it was a Kenmore.

I've done a little bit of research on these machines. It seems that there is now a hand crank available for this machine, for times when electricity isn't available. It's also rated appropriate for sails and sailcloth (dacron). And the great thing: One is listed on Craiglist in my area. I've emailed the seller to see if the machine is still available. Haven't gotten a response yet. I'll keep you posted.
If I can get my hands on one, this baby may just go to sea.

For all of you who're

9 comments:

Lindsay T said...

Well Marji, thanks for blasting me into the past. Now I'm remembering that my first sewing attempts were for my troll doll, whom I believe I named "Topaz." Now does this sewing machine have that floor pedal that you move back and forth with your feet? We had one like that in our basement. I believe it may have belonged to my grandmother. I sewed on that, but I do remember sticking my finger on the needle many times. Fun post!

Nancy (nanflan) said...

Our sewing room was the dining room. Mom would let me have any troll dolls, I really wanted one but it was nothing doing. She did make clothes for my Chatty Cathy and Barbie though, so I guess that made up for it. I started making my own doll clothes when she didn't have the time. The first ones were horrible, scraps with holes cut in them for Barbie to wear.

Pajnstl said...

I only got trolls if they came in a happy meal, my momma refused to buy "such an ugly thing" lol. Hope you can get your hands on that machine!

Alexandra said...

That is one beautiful machine! I hope you get it. And what a great story, too.

cidell said...

Just in case, I saw this a few weeks ago: http://crafts-sewing.hsn.com/singer-nostalgic-sewing-machine-with-case_p-3986630_xp.aspx?web_id=3986630&ocm=sekw

Melodye said...

Marji, if you don't get the machine, please email me. I've got one, while not in the machine, I'll make very attractive for you. What a wonderful story.

Melodye

Tany said...

Marji, what a BEAUTY!!! I love these old sewing machines!

Gae, in Callala Bay said...

Just looking across the room from the computer I can see the handsome wooden case of the old Pfaff hand-cranked sewing machine that my aunt bought many years ago.

Straight stitch only (derrrr!) but what a STRAIGHT stitch it is. Rocket shaped bobbin and will sew through just about anything - provided I have someone to help with the crank. Not too good at steering the fabric with one hand whilst cranking with t'other.

It also has the most beautiful 'measuring tape' set in the from of the timber frame: inches and centimetres, in timber inlay.

Marty said...

Marji, your Pfaff looks wonderful. I'm green with jealousy as I've always wanted a collector's item sewing machine - either a Singer FW or a Pfaff. I sew in our main living/family room space and don't have room for one but it's nice to dream.