Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Wedding Attire

update: the owner of the pfaff 130 below has agreed to sell it to me. - can you see the vibration of excitement emanating from your screen. A boat machine.

Anonymous asked for suggestions for Mother of the Bride (anon, help me out and let me know who you are - email me if you don't want to id yourself in the comments, ok? mlweaving at yahoo dot com).

Every one of the next 4 dresses have a place in my line of consideration for Mother of the Groom. I'm looking for a dress for Late October in northern Michigan, for a late Saturday afternoon wedding and then an evening reception. The attire is formal, the weather may be a balmy 60 but is more likely to be in the 30's-40's. So I'm also needing a coat or wrap.

All the following designs are suited to my figure type - so they may or may not work for you. I'm tall, curvy with more curve on the bottom, with a defined waist. And I carry about 30 more lbs than I'd like to.

OOP Vogue 2786, still available on Vogue Patterns Website


Discontinued Vogue 2513. No longer avail on the website however I've seen it frequently on the Vintage pattern websites and Ebay


Vintage Vogue design from the 1940's available at Eva Dress patterns

There are actually quite a few fabulous dresses on Eva Dress Pattern site. And Alexandra is very good and available to help and answer questions if you have them.

I'd love to hear your ideas on these, but then, this topic is going to be closed again for months. I'll let you know when I'm ready to talk wedding attire.


19 comments:

Pajnstl said...

The Guy Laroche Suit is very Nice!

Nancy K said...

I love the Marfy best. The Guy Laroche is gorgeous, but I like the short version and you probably are looking at the long one

cidell said...

I think the Vogue suit looks Mother of the Bride. The rest look like great dresses. But, that's just my opinion! I love the three dresses. I don't love the suit.

Vicki said...

I'm with Cidell, the suit is a bit old for you. (Far too young to wear typical MOB) What about those great Dior jackets you were thinking about knocking off? Anyway, I suppose these are suggestions for Anonymous and not you.

Congrats on bagging the machine! I would hate to think you would not be able to sew while having sailing adventures! But will you be able to blog while out there?

Susie said...

I love the vintage vogue from Eva Dress. Elegant yet simple and absolutely smashing! It would go great with a lovely wrap.

Marjie said...

I love the first one, #2786. Also love your "new" Pfaff. I've always wanted one like that! (Even though I don't have a boat).

Anonymous said...

Ooooh, Marji - the last one - or the first one. Not the Guy Laroche, IMO. The Marfy is very pretty, but not as unique as the Vintage Vogues. D.

Rosemary aka fabricfan said...

I don't know what pattern is the best for you, but I am EXCITED about the sewing machine for the boat.

Anonymous said...

HI Marji...hmmm, I didnt know you were TALL??? lol. You know I'm kidding. Thought I would pop in here and see what you were up to. I like the vintage vogue, would look great on your 'tall' figure.
Tell you what, if n when any of my brood get married, will you make me a dress? I think I need you to sew any clothes for me that FIT!
You're a busy girl.
Love always, Krissy

Toby Wollin said...

I'm doing MOB duty this August(evening wedding, formal) and I'm using this: http://www.lanetzliving.net/inc/sdetail/40707
I haven't yet figured out how to fancy up the top - I'm thinking of introducing lace for the sleeves and perhaps doing something with the front panel so that there is only lace at the top.

Nancy W. said...

Well, they're all beautiful, but I LOVE that Marfy dress. So elegant.

Mary Beth said...

Whew, tough choice! I'm favoring the Eva dress, though. It really depends on the fabrics you're thinking of using, though. Hmmmmmmm

Carolyn (cmarie12) said...

You know I'm voting for the Eva dress...I think its soooooo you!

phyllis said...

I like the vintage looks, especially the first one. Vintage sytles were intended to be worn with good foundationa garments (e.g. Spanx in our modern age!) which I think works for women our age.

I have always loved that vintage Vogue pattern and envision the jacket in a Moire and the gown in Silk Charmeuse.

Marty said...

I love the Marfy dress. It is so elegant and will be useable for other occasions.

When Ladies Dressed said...

Oh Marji, They are all beautiful, but my heart goes to the last, the original, 1940's Vintage Vogue (from Eva's Dress). It is classic and elegant. I could see it in a silk crepe to really accentuate the back drape. I love the lace, so of that era, yet timelessly beautiful.

Cennetta said...

Marji, I like them all; but If I had to pick, my vote is for Marfy 1547.

paco peralta said...

Marji .- everything is beautiful in his blog. I congratulate you, it is very inspiring to me. Greetings and see you soon. Paco

melissa said...

oh my gosh, I just found your blog and I'm so excited that there's another boat sewer!! Can you post more about your boat? I'm guessing from the title image and your references to sewing sailcloth that it's a sailboat, but where do you take it in Missouri? Oh, and you should get the book "100 Fast and Easy Boat Improvements" by Don Casey - there's a bunch of really useful sewing stuff in there that I think would work even better on a small sailboat than on our big ol barge...