Oh ye of little faith - although I guess many of you did express some optimism. Most of you thought me crazier than a loon. Well, I'm here to tell you, not only did I get it down, but she's so in love with the concept design that she actually danced around the house Tuesday evening, wearing the muslin, singing "I feel pretty" I ask you, who feels "pretty" in a muslin? Safe to say - she loves it. I've got Work to do on it, before it meets silk - the fabric isn't long enough in places to make it to where it needs to be sewn into seams, but that's just technical stuff. I need to DO something about that grain on the skirt. May need to sit down and redraft the skirt pieces, so that I retain the shape but do better on the grain. So Tuesday evening, after she gave the ok on the design, I constructed a cotton broadcloth inner corselet, with spiral steel boning, to give support to the bodice. That's the black that you see peeking out from the top of the bodice in the pics above. In the pic of the dress on her, below, that inner corselet hadn't been constructed yet - makes a world of difference.
So, while I was constructing the support for the bodice, I had Katie lay out the pattern for a "game day" dress for herself. She's going to be a senior at UGA, and is in a sorority. The girls all wear dresses to the football games in the fall, and Georgia's colors are red and black. She chose this fabric a little over a year ago, but I didn't get it made into anything, since we never got a style agreed upon that would meet her criteria for what she'll wear and would work with the weight of the fabric. It's a fairly beefy cotton with 3% lycra.
When she saw this vintage pattern in my stash - she claimed it. Once she had it laid out, I checked the layout, ok'd it, then she cut the dress out. I got up Wed AM and had the dress all constructed except the collar before she left to drive back to school, at 9AM. She'd probably have my head knowing that I posted this pic - early morning, no makeup, etc. I think the dress is darling on her, and she really likes it. If I were to make it again though, she wants it brought in a bit on the shoulder. This one has facings already understitched and tacked in place. In laying it out, she ended up moving the dress front 3 times before reaching an acceptable placement of those big flowers. They seem random, but it took some doing so that there weren't any embarrassing bulls-eyes.
Sailor, Stitcher, Domestic diva, wife, mom to 2+2 (mine and his, boys and girls)
email me at mlweaving at gmail dot com
And see what's going on with the move to the boat over at www.svfarniente.blogspot.com