Monday, June 09, 2008

It's all about the Boat

on the cradle, in the barn, with clean stern now, reading for the lettering of new name.

It was a working weekend, we drove up Friday afternoon - 7 hrs, had dinner at a fabulous little restaurant Pereddies, in Holland that is attached to an Italian market and is right across the street from Holland's LYS.
Then Saturday we spent all day working on the boat. The previous owner left it "furnished". She left all the bedding for both the master stateroom and the aft cabin as well as a full complement of towels, and the coordinating pillows that filled up the Main salon. I want to "redecorate".

Also, she's been using std size quilts and things and folding them to work with the triangular shapes - which is really cumbersome. When I took a year off of my "real job" in Traverse City I spent a year working at Whispering Needles, a custom quilting shop (long arm quilting machines). It was a small 4 person shop owner operated by a niece/aunt team. They did a lot of custom work for Interior Designers in the Detroit and Chicago areas, and they had the contract for 4Winns Boats to do all the quilting for the boat interiors. Sandi and Sue (owners) operated the long arm quilters all day every day, another woman did the cutting and piecing for the boat yardage, and I did all the other odd custom work for them - the spec'd out pillows, shams, dust ruffles, etc. Anything that required thinking and figuring out how to make it before it got cut, I did. And while I was there they got contracts to outfit several big custom yachts, so I've had experience making custom fitted mattress pads, and bedding for the cabins.

I plan to make all new bedding, including mattress pads and customizing some sheets to fit the beds, AND I plan to slipcover the cushions in the main cabin to give the boat a different decor.
Right now they are all cream/white. It's been my intention since we started talking about owning a boat to have several sets of slipcovers that I can change out, and dh is in full agreement.

port side settee in main salon, back cushions removed to get to storage.

I took swatches up from The Fabric Company, and we've picked out a green/white lattice print for the initial set of slipcovers. This is going to be a big job.

starboard side settee aft seat of L-shaped seating unit.

Anyway, we also inventoried the contents of many of the storage berths - there is a lot of stuff on board, and we just took a lot of stuff OFF. And dh got the name off the transom as well as both sides on the bow. That was 3 hours of scraping and using a heat gun (carefully) on the gelcoat.

The boat's former name was Christiana.
She's being renamed
Far Niente

Dolce Far Niente is an Italian expression that means, idiomatically, "It's sweet doing nothing".
Now we're trying to come up with a name for the dinghy.
It needs to relate.

The storms and flooding this weekend were tremendous.
Sunday AM we went back to the marina and Yacht club before leaving Holland, to find the road, the ships store, the restaurant lower level, and the barn where our boat is in storage, underwater. A car had been washed from the parking area over the road and dumped into the lake.

today is muslin day, I must get to work.

22 comments:

Birgitte said...

Love the name! How exciting to be doing the "makeover". Great idea to have several sets of slipcovers too. And your DH must be forever grateful to you for saving a bundle by making them- those things are expensive!!

Lindsay T said...

Marji, have you been sailing all your life? Just wondering how long you've been at it. I grew up with an avid sailor for a father, though he's an unpleasant person to sail with (barks orders, yells, curses, that type of sailor). But I do have fond memories of sailing Lake Michigan, the Pacific, Lake Ponchartrain...

Nancy K said...

You could just use the dolce for the dinghy.
Lots of work ahead.
When are you planning to embark on this adventure?

Liana said...

How about Sugar Bowl, or Nothing Doing? Oh well, sounds like you're having fun planning all that work, and it sounds like it will be gorgeous!

Bonnie D. said...

I just love your boat's name. How very exciting to have this boat. The bedding WILL be a lot of work but how awesome it will be by the time you get done!

ACorgiHouse said...

Marji, such fun! I assume you're making a standard set of muslins, so you can knock off a new decor at will? I just got home last night from an island vacay, and boy I understand the draw. The longest I ever spent on a boat was a long weekend sailing from the NC coast to Okracoke/Outer Banks, and it was so much fun. Compact, but fun. I envy your endeavor!

My Italian consists of asking for pain meds and a bedpan (don't ask), but how about something that idiomatically means "I'm the nothing" for your dinghy? K

connie B said...

My best friend sails, and we have plans for a major sail holiday "someday". I wish I had known you would be in Holland. It is only 4 hours from our place and I could have met you!

knittinbrit_in_wi said...

Great name! I know you'll do a wonderful job with the "decorating".

I always enjoy hearing about the different "jobs" you've had. You are such an interesting lady and someone who follows their passion in life. It inspires me.

Rosemary aka fabricfan said...

Honestly Marji, you can just do everything. I am sure the interior will look great. There is a lot of sewing ahead of you but I think that is par for the course. I am curious about your boat and sometime we'll have to talk over the phone for all of the details. I did wonder if you were near the flooding. Our boat came with a bunch of things as well, some of it just had to go!

Vicki said...

Wow, you have the perfect experience to redecorate that boat! The green and white lattice sounds relaxing.

Mary Beth said...

OK: I know I'm very literal but "the barn where our boat is in storage, underwater." is this sweet boat OK??? I assume so since you aren't freaking right out of your mind....!

I love Dolce and Sugar Bowl for the dingy!!!

Alexandra said...

Great name! I'd say Dolce for the dinghy, too.
Redecorating, what fun!

donyale said...

What about

Near Niente

ACorgiHouse said...

I love Near Niente. K

laura said...

I know Hans thought we were nuts for having our boat docked 4 hours away but your 7 hours would be tough! I'm thrilled that ours came with a full set of sheets for each bunk and I'm not making anything for it until we're truly ready to live on it (One year? Two?). This fall or next spring we'll have her name painted on her and so far Miss Kitty seems to be the choice. I'm looking forward to reading more of your boating posts! It should be interesting to see how we fit our sewing lives onto a boat!

cidell said...

You know, I read this two days ago sans photos on my Blackberry. It's so impressive looking! And, I looove the name of the boat.

loopylulu said...

Owning a sailboat is a far out dream of mine and my fiances. It's really fun to read about your experiences.

sewsu said...

It's absolutely beautiful, Marji. I just love the story abt working in the custom quilt shop, and making things for boats. Kind of like what Oprah would call a 'full circle moment', huh? You're so lucky! I'm so excited for you, I'm sure it'll be a wonderful adventure.

jae said...

Awwwww, man - Pereddies without me! (That was some good food though. :)

I think Dolce Niente for the dinghy. Assuming that translates to sweet nothing. Or how about the italian phrase for Little Nothing?

I'll be in Holland early next week early and late the week after if you'll be up again, let me know.

Gorgeous Things said...

She's a beauty!

Brigitte said...

Oh, a little late - but congratulations on a beautiful purchase!

The Mad Tatter said...

Name for dinghy: Nada

[Not Italian, I know, but a cute name nonetheless]