Monday, July 14, 2008

New Look 6799, a dress to wear out for a B'day dinner


What do you know, another Finished item to show.
Gaylen, Michellers, and a few of you know why it's so hard for me to finish this and put this pic up right now. (and that's not to mention the fact that my bra strap was falling down when dh took the pic, sigh).
Pattern New Look 6799
looks as if this one is sold out again, as it's showing unavailable on the website. I bought the pattern at a local Hancocks about 2 months ago.
I made dress View C

Pattern Sizing: regular size 8-18. I had to do a bit of pattern alteration to make the skirt fit.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I love the fact that with some really basic pattern alteration (adding to the skirt seam allowances, small sway back adj, and an FBA), this pattern fit without a lot of maneuvering. Lately I've encountered some really wonky patterns, so it was nice to just make the basics and have it fit.

Fabric Used:
sailboat print is a fairly hefty woven cotton/lycra blend.
I used a large waffle pique for the contrast bands, and then a small pique in black for the piping in the skirt princess seams.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I might make this again. I only had a bit of each pique, but I have enough of each left over to make another, and I have enough of the red/black and white print that I made Katie's game day dress out of, and since it appears that I'm going to need a casual work wardrobe coming soon, I might just whip another one up. The construction on this is straightforward and the dress makes up fast.

--------------
Thank you to all who left comments here, sent emails or sent e-cards (wow, what fun to get a slew of those in my mailbox) and who called to wish me a Happy Birthday.
I had an excellent day.
And today I went for my annual physical. My doc has suggested a program called Take Shape for Life, that features MediFast meals. It's a doc supervised program, at least out of her office.
I'm looking into it. She's got her office staff on it, and she's recommending it for her patients who need to lose weight. If I choose to go on it, I'll be monitored by her office. And she's in agreement that I need to lose weight.
______________
And finally, on the comments. Thank you all for stopping by and leaving a note that you've been here - all of us bloggers of course love comments.
Truly, I wasn't trying to put myself up for sainthood by documenting the draping process - as I wrote - it was fun, and we were both happy with the results (mostly).
I'd like to welcome some new commenters, Rae, Kristine, Denise and Spunsilver (see you Thurs night) I'd like to thank you for stopping by and leaving a message.
Rae, I'll be back up and on the Bay in 3 weeks. Is Jennifer still at the mag? Denise, thank you for posting the link to your s-in-law's Klimt needlepoint pillows. They're gorgeous!

23 comments:

Adrienne said...

You look lovely! Love the dress!

Lisa said...

You look great! I love the black details. It makes everything look great together!

renee/cidell said...

You look so well (and standing!) that I couldn't help but smile at your photo. Cute, cute fabric!

Birgitte said...

Sorry I missed it was your b-day.
A belated Happy Birthday!!

And happy you look- love that smile. Beautiful dress for a beautiful lady. Also love the sailboats.

And on the subject of loosing weight... My Spanx arrived today. All I can say is WOW!! If I ever get to meet that woman, I'll kiss her hand.

Shannon said...

Ack, I missed your birthday. I'm so sorry. So, Happy Birthday!!!

Your dress is adorable - love the black piping - it gives the dress a certain je ne sais quoi.

Hey, I'll be joining you on the weight loss journey. I have 10 pounds that need to go away and I have been working toward that end lately. Unfortunately, I haven't been giving it my all, so maybe we can cheer each other on to stay inspired to attain a healthier lifestyle.

Sigrid said...

Another with a belated Happy birthday!
Lovely dress, like the fabric/color combination.

Marina said...

Did I miss it ... Again? Happy (belated) Birthday! I knew it was around the same time as Kidlet #2's birthday which is today.

You look gorgeous in the new dress.

Christina said...

Very chic dress(and great fabric), hope it's a wonderful birthday dinner!

Claire S. said...

I really like the dress, Marji...a Belated Happy Birthday.

Bonnie D. said...

That is a great dress! Happy Belated Birthday!!

knittinbrit_in_wi said...

Love the dress. How perfect is the sailboat print?!

I'll em you privately. We just got back from vacation up at Mackinac Island and I kept thinking about you the whole time.

LauraLo said...

I love this dress! It's a beautiful fabric (that sail boat print is the perfect thing for you!)and I love the black bands and piping. They really make the dress stand out.
I hope you feel better - I see that you still experience some discomfort.

Kristine said...

This pattern is near the top of my "to-do" pile, so you just helped it jump the line a bit! Very nice, and Happy Belated Birthday!

Linda said...

I love your version of this pattern. I think the vertical lines are very slimming. I don't know what you mean about the weight gain, this dress hides it very well. But I do understand what you mean about the desire to shed some.

And I missed your birthday??? When and where was I. Lost in lalaland somewhere. Happy Belated Birthday. I hope you had a great time. Was it celebrated on one of those sailboats?

Erica B. said...

Fabulous dress Marji! Happy Belated Birthday.

Isabelle said...

What a pretty dress, Marji!
I really need to get this pattern soon :)

a little sewing on the side said...

Marji, I love your dress! It is such a cute print.

paco peralta said...

This dress is left to you as a "glove". congratulations. Paco

Gorgeous Things said...

OMG, that looks SO fabulous on you, and happy belated birthday!

gaylen said...

A very belated and happy birthday to you. Here's wishing that upcoming year brings all you desire. I'm sorry you're struggling. I do understand and I wish there was an easy answer.

The dress looks great and frankly you look great in it. From the photos it appears to fit well. Just listen to Carolyn and no matter the demons dress to fit the body you are living in now (I know - it's easier to say than do). Email me if you want to visit. I'll be happy to share my cell number and stories. g

Vicki said...

Sigh..it has taken me a week to catch up on the week I was away, so I missed your birthday :( Happy belated birthday!! You look lovely in your dress - very nice. Love the colours and it is very appropriate with the boats.

Good luck with the weight loss. It is a pain in the butt to have to reign in the calories and increase the activity. Hopefully you are all recovered after your skating accident.

Cennetta said...

You look fantastic. Happy Belated Birthday. (I'm so trying to catch up of blog reading and such. Please forgive the lateness of my birthday wishes.)

Ciel said...

Thanks for writing this.