This is not a pretty post.
I used to know exactly what alterations I needed to make to fit pants.
Then I gained weight.
I've read over and over how much everyone loves the Burda draft for pant patterns.
So, I decided to make a pair of capris using a BWOF pattern.
Using BWOF 03.2008.126 I cut a size 50 with 1" seam allowances in strategic places, thinking I could avoid a pant muslin.
D'Nile is not just a river in Egypt, as the saying goes.
What was I thinking?
Who was I trying to kid?
first round: No pics.
I stitched them together, then had to rearrange the seams for my tilted waist/sway back, and take in quite a bit from the waist. I marked them up, then took them apart, made the changes to the pattern tissue, recut the cotton/lycra blend, then reassembled.
I don't like the front pocket shaping - which is neither here nor there in terms of the fitting.
Then I assembled the pocket in the front, and stitched together the pants, minus waistband and zipper. I'd forgotten to take off the wedge from the CB, so it's sticking out in the following pics.
The closure is a side zipper, so the left side is only pinned at the top - creating that bulge.
I have issues.
I don't know why it is so difficult for me to diagnose my own fitting issues here, except that I'm in such a state of denial about my whole shape and size.
I know that I need to alter the pant legs for my well developed calves - bike riding has changed the shape of my calves forever.
So next I put the waistband on, then put the zipper in, and released the side seam on the left leg, just to see how it would hang. I can't change the angle of the leg enough to get rid of all those XX in the back. The front fits ok. It's the back.
I know that what I really need to do is make a muslin - with all those black lines drawn - vertical and horizontal, and then grab a fitting partner here and get a pair of pants fit that I can make over and over again.
This is just pure ridiculousness.
Do you think if I just started with a skirt pattern that fit and then used the latest Threads pant article to draft my own I'd have better luck?
I've got Joyce Murphy's articles open here next to me, from Threads 121 and 119, and honestly, I did use the flexible ruler, and measure the crotch curve, and match it to the curve on the BWOF pattern, and it truly wasn't that much different.
What's going on here?
Should I just go back to skirts?
my parting shot (Summerset, you really do need to lay claim to the concept)
Stuffed summer squash.
halve the squash, then scoop out the flesh - I used a melon baller.
For best results parboil the squash boats for a minute or two.
chop the squash then combine with 1/2 c diced onion and 2 or 3 cloves garlic, minced.
Toss in some fresh herbs. I went out back and cut some thyme and used it.
Sautee the mixture til onion and squash are tender.
Add diced tomato - I used a handful of cherry tomatoes since that's what I had.
Continue to saute for another 2 or 3 minutes.
Add 1/2 c seasoned Italian bread crumbs, S&P, and then fill waiting squash boats.
Top with a bit of grated parmesan, back for 12-15 minutes at 350.
Poinsietta frock from a sari. Vogue 1152
28 minutes ago