Thursday, July 10, 2008

a post a day - this week

psst: I ended up working with dsd#2 last night, draping a dress right on her, and will sew it up today, final fitting tonight, finish sewing tomorrow - then you'll see pics. I promise, it's a WIP


Ya know, I'm almost afraid to ask, but here goes: Does anyone out there in blogland do needlepoint?
It's not as if I don't have enough to do.
It's not as if I need another thing.
But lately (since my knitting is so drastically curtailed with my wrist still feeling the injury), (and since ds#2 has asked for me to make his fiance a Christmas Stocking), I've been feeling the urge.
I just received, in the mail from one of my favorite needlepoint stores, The Bristly Thistle, in Petoskey Michigan, the above painted canvas, to make Ashlee her Angel, per my son's request.

Two of my earlier projects:




for more click here
What I'm really wanting to pull out and work on, especially before I start on Ashlee's angel, is this
I started this as a bench cover. It's going to end up on the boat though, as a back pillow. It's really long. It's probably my longest running Work-In-Progress.

Over the weekend I was privileged to visit a friend of my step-mom's, Linda, who is an accomplished knitter with a beautiful beach home on Lake Michigan. She was interested in making the double knit ski hat that I've made several of, and just wanted a quick demonstration on knitting the double knit fabric of the hat.
Her home is one of The Most Gorgeous beach homes I've ever been in. Aside from the entire wall of glass looking out over the lake (they're on a bluff), the interior was inviting, comfortable, and beautiful. And she had needlepoint pillows scattered all over. Made me want to come home and drag out all the needlepoint.
And in doing some internet looking, I discovered Ehrman Tapestries. Jaw dropping gorgeousness.
and right now (on sale too), they have a whole series of canvases that are reminiscent of Klimt paintings.
I want them all (almost all).....sigh.




And Now, catching up on the memes which I've been lax on doing.

Mardel tagged me for this awhile back, and well, I just haven’t blogged my answers yet.

  1. What was I doing ten years ago? I was living and working and raising kids in Traverse City, MI. I was driving ds#1 out to Interlochen every day, I’d just left the non-profit I’d been working for and started working in a real estate office. I was sailing Wed night buoy races and some weekend Regattas and skiing on ski patrol in the winter and I was single and not dating anyone.



2. What are five things on my to-do list today? Laundry, finish Lauren’s dress, photograph it and write a blog post about it, swim ½ mile, buy something at market to make for dinner.

3. Snacks I enjoy. Dk cherries, dried fruit, pretzels and cheeze-its, popcorn

4. Things I would do if I were a billioniare? Buy a house (in Northern MI) that I could store my furniture and sewing stuff in while we go sailing, and build a sewing studio upstairs where there is sunlight. Set up trust funds for each of the kids so that they can also each buy a house some-day. Set up annuities that would provide ongoing support for children’s mental health organizations in several communities that I have interest in. Do the same to support several youth sports organizations that are at-risk of losing their funding. Get my dh to retire now! Set up some blind/anon trust funds so that several of my hard-working deserving friends could realize their dreams of owning a home/ opening a business / send their kids to school.

5. Places I have lived? Rochester, NY; Suburban Detroit, Traverse City, MI; suburban St Louis

6. Peeps I want to know more about. Is there anyone anywhere that hasn’t already done this? KarenBenco? Jae, Kim (KnitinBrit), ?


and another meme, via TeaLeaves

Rules: You must answer the questions using only one word. Then tag four others.

1. Where is your cell phone? countertop

2. Your significant other? Jeff

3. Your hair? messy.

4. Your mother? busy

5. Your father? happy

6. Your favorite thing? textile

7. Your dream last night? noisy

8 Your favorite drink? wine

9. Your dream/goal? sailing

10. The room you’re in? kitchen

11. Your hobby? needlework

12. Your fear? alligators

13. Where do you want to be in 6 years? boat

14. What you’re not? quiet

15. Muffins? Pumpkin.

6. One of your wish list items? Klimt-canvas

17. Where you grew up? NY

18. The last thing you did? coffee

19. What are you wearing? shorts

20. Favorite gadget? Ipod

21. Your pets? none

22. Your computer? Toshiba

23. Your mood? Chatty – (sorry, but this is HARD, how’m I supposed to answer all these paragraph questions with ONE word???)

24. Missing someone? Someones

25. Your car? SUV

26. Something you’re not wearing? suit

27. Favorite store? internet

28. Like someone? everyone

29. Your favorite color? Red

30. When is the last time you laughed? yesterday

31. Last time you cried? Hmmm?

4 to tag: LindaF, Lorraine (‘cause I haven’t visited her, or seen her or heard from her in awhile), Renee, and Carolyn (‘cause I know she doesn’t have enough else to do!).

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like Ashlee's angel. Better than the snow angels we looked at :) D.

Carrie K said...

Those one word memes are impossible.

I thought you'd put "needlepoint" as your hobby but no, needlework. And....while I haven't finished anything (because when would I do that?) I certainly have started a few needlepoint projects and I've got several books. There's a crown that I really love.

Rae said...

Such a weird thing to stumble upon your blog today ... Lived in Des Peres & Clayton, B'ham, Mi, and now here in Traverse City working for MyNorth.com the online home of Traverse, Northern Michigan's Magazine. Have friends working at Interlochen Center for the arts. Switched from needlepoint to cross stitch to embroidery (now doing onesies and little girl dresses for friend's children and my own little girl. It seems like somewhere our paths should cross--at least sailing in Grand Traverse Bay. Hope you can buy that house Up North.

Rachel North
marketing gal at MyNorth.com

Marina said...

I saw that site a couple of weeks ago. Very tempting, but I don't need another hobby. This one is already out of control!

Carolyn (cmarie12) said...

Sorry babe ~ you know I love you but I'm not doing any more memes...but thanks for thinking of me! *LOL*

Mardel said...

Love the needlepoint. I used to do some, and a lot of embroidery (but no cross stitch). I have been thinking perhaps I should be picking it up again.

Lorraine said...

Hi Marji- I've been visiting but not commenting- if you'll notice, there is a link to Ehrman on my sidebar- I've been doing needlepoint for 30 years.

I'll play the meme- and I wanted to stop and say hi anyway. Maybe we'll see you in Toronto Harbour in the not so distant future.

Lorraine said...

Hi Marji- I've been visiting but not commenting- if you'll notice, there is a link to Ehrman on my sidebar- I've been doing needlepoint for 30 years.

I'll play the meme- and I wanted to stop and say hi anyway. Maybe we'll see you in Toronto Harbour in the not so distant future.

Denise said...

My sister in law did two of the Klimnt as a wedding gift for my son and daughter in law. They are gorgeous made up. My job was to make them up into pillows. See photos of them here.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3164/2571978960_5b4f1d8fac_m.jpg

knittinbrit_in_wi said...

I love needlepoint and have been on quite a needlework kick lately. I completed a couple of months ago one needlepoint project and have been embroidering pieces for a quilt for Little Princess. Maybe after I get this crazy month out of the way, I'll get some pics posted of them. I'm also deeply in love with the Klimt ones. I've been eyeing them for quite some time.