Friday, August 08, 2008

Drastic Deadlines and Vacation

I think I mentioned awhile back that I had dresses to finish for Katie for sorority rush. They've changed the required dresses this year, and she wanted some new ones anyway. So last time she was home we draped and muslined and cut and fit...then she left and I had deadlines to meet, AND other items to sew.
So, I did not finish her (3) dresses in time before we left last Saturday. This is what the bodice of the cream and black dress looked like - from the fitting.
Friday - take care of multitudes of errands then leave town and drive to Michigan
Saturday AM - hubby goes to boat to work on boat and I stay in hotel room, working on the dress.
Saturday lunchtime - eldest son arrives with new girlfriend in tow, and we all go out to lunch, then back to the boat, then finally on up the road to the family homestead on Pentwater Lake. Out on the boat, out to dinner, out on the town.
Sunday AM - early AM boat outing on Lake Michigan, then everyone goes their own way - church, boat, or back on the road, and I sit back down to sew again.
Monday AM - again, back at it sewing. Monday PM - this dress finally ends up in the Mail on the way to Georgia.
It's beautiful, and I will have pics of it on Katie, soon.

Bodice and underskirt - silk shantung
lining - silk crepe de chine
underlining - silk organza
overskirt - lace
No pattern used.




14 comments:

cidell said...

SQUEAL!!! It's GORGEOUS!! Wowser. I love, love, love the lace bottom. Makes me want to pledge all over again!

Rose said...

Yes, the dress is beautiful. Your attention to detail and use of gorgeous fabric shows. I look forward to the pictures of Katie.

loopylulu said...

It sure does look beautiful!

knittinbrit_in_wi said...

It looks beautiful. You are so talented, Marji.

Katie does realize how lucky she is to have to you, doesn't she?!

Vicki said...

Lovely! Lucky Katie.

sewsy said...

Marji! It's absolutely beautiful. You are EXTREMELY talented. I'm sure Katie realizes how special you are. Aplause!!

Carrie K said...

It's gorgeous! And now what will you do with all that free time?

Nancy K said...

It's gorgeous! Was all this from your stash?

Dana said...

What a beautiful simple dress!

Carolyn (cmarie12) said...

There are no words to describe the awesomeness of this dress...instead I shall just bow at the feet of the master!

Kristine said...

Wonderful dress, very glamorous! Katie will be the envy of all the girls! You mentioned Pentwater Lake - is that near Pentwater, north of Silver Lake? If so, been there and loved it. Beautiful place! I live about an hour North of Detroit...

Mardel said...

Beautiful, Beautiful Dress. Of course, with your attention to detail, and wonderful skill and "eye", the dress is perfection.

Tany said...

What a FABULOUS dress, Marji!

LauraLo said...

Oh Marji, you have a great sense of style and fashion. I've just noticed that lace is all the rage for fall.