Friday, August 15, 2008

Gifts from friends afar

I'm going to ruminate for a moment on how the internet has changed our lives.
At least, it's changed mine, in ways for the better.
Our friendships and contacts all used to be limited to those in our vicinity.
Now our reach, to connect with people all over the globe who share our interests, is available to us at the touch of a keyboard and a screen.
And I do contend that the connections made can be just as real and as vital as those old face-to-face neighborhood friendships.
I connected with a group of women 5 or 6 years ago through ediets. None of us are members of ediets anymore, but we all still maintain contact on a closed message board, and have become a good support system for each other. I've met, in person, roughly half of the members. And the 10 or 11 of us stretch out from the East Coast to the West Coast with only a couple of us in the middle. (Is Texas considered the middle?) Some of us go MIA for awhile, but we all come back, and I consider these women my friends.

Another person that I've "met" on the internet is Donni.
She's a decade younger than I, and lives about as far away as you can get and still be on planet earth...and yet there was a connection from the first time we started chatting. I *wish* we lived closer. Someday I will meet this incredible woman. Whether she comes this direction or whether we have to sail over to her side of the world. She's talented and funny and warm and active...
And last month she sent me this most awesome book
Donni is a knitter, weaver, spinner, dyer, and yet she chose to send me one of the most incredible books I've ever seen on working with fabric. This is the same book that Birgitte (whose work I greatly admire) has used in some of her incredible creations.
Donni, I can't thank you enough.

Another, more recently made friend is PattiF, a resident of the Chicago area, and someone I met on the internet via another woman I call friend, Carolyn. I have had the pleasure of having met Patti in person now too - after all, we live fairly close.
Patti is a generous and caring person, and is in the process of trying to divest herself of some of her stash. While we were gone last week she sent along this Lovely package of silks, which I finally got from the post office yesterday. (I know, I'm supposed to be sewing my stash down and divesting myself...not acquiring.)
I had thought to use the pink for either my sister or Katie. Both are pink girls. But after having gotten it out I'm inspired to make something using the pink along with that incredible piece of chiffon, ala the Keith and Kaylen dress from Project Runway Wed night. Only loosely inspired by that dress. The sueded pink will hang beautifully as a princess sheath, but not as a bunch of flutters, and there is only barely 1 yd of the chiffon, which is only 30" wide. But I'm thinking a really wonderful bodice overlay, loose and filmy, would be way too much fun.




There are too many friends I've made over the last several years of internet chatting to mention all of you. But I thank all of you for being out there and available at the other end of my keyboard. And I absolutely love it when sometimes we get to connect in person.
Friendship is the best gift we all give each other.

12 comments:

Carolyn (cmarie12) said...

M - this is a great post! And you know I think of you as one of my dearest friends even though we have yet to meet face to face!

designdreamer said...

I was so wrapped up in the Olympics (finally went to bed last night before I caught Michael Phelps latest race, or maybe I just missed it, or maybe they're all running together for me!) that I actually forgot about PR wednesday night -- imagine that!!! So, I caught a replay last night and middle dd watched with me. She didn't like Keith and Kaylen's dress, but I did, and am looking forward to your version of it.

a little sewing on the side said...

Oh how I enjoy your blog! You accomplish such a variety of projects. I think the reason you have made so many friends online is because you are such a generous and warm-hearted person.
You have certainly helped me, and I appreciate all you do! It is hard for me to imagine how we will get along when you begin your world-wide voyages! But I bet you will drop anchor in my neck of the woods and I look forward to it!

Anonymous said...

Awwww, warm fuzzies!

I loved that outfit from PR, too, and can't wait to see your version.

xxxooo
Michellers

Vicki said...

I have been lucky enough to meet internet friends and they are "real" friends. It really is great when you do get to catch up in real life too.

Vicki said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Birgitte said...

I so agree with you on internet friendships, and also hopeful that one day we'll meet in person.
Think I must be the only one not watching Project Runway. I love the fabrics you received - and is that a metallic thread I see in the chiffon? Sparkle, it's all about sparkle baby ;-) It will make a fab overlay.

Thanks for the info on the three-piece sleeve, think I'm almost there. Took me forever to drape the sleeve cap. Made it high, and (I hope) it will require no ease.
HTH,
Birgitte

Carrie K said...

Isn't that a great book? And the net is so wonderful for finding and keeping friends.

donyale said...

It's all about karma Marji - you give out such lovely thoughts and parts of yourself that naturally we enjoy your company. We WILL meet one day...and share a lovely bottle of red and many hours of chatting I am sure.

Tany said...

I couldn't agree more with your words... And I got that same book from a very dear friend, Summerset! It's a fabulous book!

Marty's Little Corner said...

The internet is such a fabulous resource for inspiration, friendships, and commiseration when a project is not going well. Thank you for being a friend.

Marty's Little Corner said...

The internet is such a fabulous resource for inspiration, friendships, and commiseration when a project is not going well. Thank you for being a friend.