Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The mojo has returned

Got home Sunday night, after a rather exhausting drive, and yesterday I spent all day downstairs finishing ...skirts.
First up are 3 skirts for Charity's 100 skirt project. During the week that Katie was home this summer and I cut and muslined and draped the dresses on her, she cut and began construction on the two border print skirts here. She serged the edges, stitched the seams, ran the gathering stitches and attached the skirts to the waistbands. I put in the one zipper, Katie did the other, and yesterday just had to finish the hems.
Last summer when Lauren was wanting to sew, she cut and started a halter dress using the black print you see above. The halter never fit right, she never finished the dress. Yesterday I cut the skirt off the midriff band for the dress, recut the skirt (keeping the in-seam pockets), shortened it and then refashioned it into a skirt in a girls size 14. I added a ruffle to the hem and covered the stitching/gathering line with rickrack. I've got numerous packages of vintage rick rack. I'll get these in the mail today to Alaska.


I also finished up this linen eyelet skirt. I wrote the review for McCalls 5334
here on Pattern Review. It's not and won't be my favorite skirt - but that's all my fault for choosing the wrong pattern to start with. The fabric is from the only bundle I ever got from FabricMart, the lining is white cotton batiste from Ressy's coop a year ago, and the navy blue narrow rick rack is vintage from this huge box of trims I have.
What is wrong with this skirt is that the yoke is too narrow, and the gathers too full. Bad pattern choice.

The last skirt I finished up is this (faux) wrap. I write the faux in parenthesis, because the pattern is for a real wrap skirt, and I modified it.
The pattern is Burda 3471 (OOP)
I first made this pattern as written, as a wrap, with the ties, and I hate wearing it, even though I made it to go over bike shorts. The whole wrap and tie thing has never worked particularly well for me. At the time I made the skirt to cover the bike shorts (in orange gingham no less, can you even imagine? ugh), I cut this one from a remnant of rayon batik. I stitched the side seams, narrow hemmed the whole, And then never got around to finishing it up. So yesterday I overlapped the front as if it were wrapped, opened up the side seam and inserted a zipper, then attached a narrow waistband from the strip that was meant to be a tie. I LOVE it! I wore it the rest of the day, after finishing it. The front is cut side seam to side seam, so there is enough coverage that the wrap won't fly open. It has the casual look of the wrap without the ackwardness of the tie part that won't stay in place. I think I'll make more of this one.

7 comments:

patsijean said...

Marji,
Your three skirts for the 100 Skirt Project are lovely. I made 3 skirts myself. Construction did not take long and it was personally quite rewarding. Charity has extended the deadline to the end of the year. I urge everyone reading to make a skirt for the girl's orphanage.

Vicki said...

Good to see the mojo back - mine is still out playing...somewhere...

AllisonC said...

Wow you are on fire! I love the faux wrap skirt, good idea to modify it, I love the look of wrap skirts, but never feel safe in them!

knittinbrit_in_wi said...

Good gracious, marji. You really have been sewing up a storm. I'm a big skirt sucker and love the patterned ones you whipped up. Beautiful work.

gaylen said...

Wow! When you're mojo arrives it comes back in full force! Great job on the skirts. I love the faux wrap. g

Mardel said...

Oh, Marji, I love looking at your sewing projects....it keeps my sewing dreams alive. The skirts are fabulous, especially the faux-wrap on you. the other one is not so bad (the white) but I see the problems. Great for just hanging out though.

Charity said...

They are lovely, Marji. I know the girls who receive these will be so thrilled. Those border prints are gorgeous and just right for a tropical climate - as is the bright floral print. Thank you so much!

Charity