Monday, August 18, 2008

The Rain Cape, aka finishing up the SWAP sewing


http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3236/2765440586_d2c4f67316.jpg?v=0

Denise's Rain Cape - unlined
Pattern: Vogue 8162
Fabric: Woven crinkle poly from the clearance table at Joanns

May be worn open collared or with collar closed and buttoned up to keep rain out.
Button backed by loop of organza ribbon and 1" backer button.

Buttonholes are corded to give them the extra oomph and support the buttonhole in this polyester to go over the extra large buttons.
To make a corded buttonhole use a piece of crochet cotton or other thread or yarn. Stitch the legs of the button hole over the crochet cotton. Here, the Bernina #3 foot has the tooth in the center to hold the cording in the front, and I loosely hold the cord behind so that it stays straight.
I topstitched the edges using a 5mm stitch and 2 separate strands of regular sewing thread, one slightly darker than the other, which really complements this irridenscent cross-woven fabric well.


And tonight I'm going to finish This Jacket
The infernal button loops are finished. They were a real treat. Check in tomorrow and I'll blog about making the button loops. I wasn't able to make them via the typical method of stitching a tube and turning it inside out.
Today I cut the lining out, and all that's left to do now is stitch it into the jacket.
My sister is going to be a happy camper.

9 comments:

Elizabeth said...

OOOh! I love it! Wonderful work on that!

knittinbrit_in_wi said...

Love the rain cape. You have been really on a big finishing streak lately. Congrats.

AllisonC said...

I'd be a happy camper too if that jacket was on it's way to me. I love the combination of a casual pattern with a dressy fabric, looks great.

KayB said...

Oh wow.... this looks great! I agree with allisonc, the combi is great. Something the remember!

Nancy W. said...

Well, I see you're sewing up a storm! Love the jacket and all the details.

Lindsay T said...

I made this same cape out of wool bouclé and I get tons of compliments on it. I love your version!

luckylibbet said...

Love the texture!

Anonymous said...

Any chance you might post about the progress on the Great Coat Sewalong for those of us who were not able to be included!!

LauraLo said...

Wow. Gorgeous. Love the design, love the crinkle fabric, love the colour... in fact I guess I like everything about this cape.