Monday, September 01, 2008

Blue self drafted dresses for the Labor Day Weekend wedding

I finally finished Katies dress last week, however I didn't finish my own.
I will finish it this week and wear it to the wedding we're going to Saturday here in St Louis.
I ended up wearing the Chinese brocade skirt that I made last year for SWAP with a pink chiffon pleated (purchased) top that has been in my closet several years. It worked. Not what I wanted, but it was more important to get the girls dresses done and perfect.


I have to state that I sweat making Katie's dress. I fit the inner corselet to her that is the base for the bodice, way back last May. I draped the muslin for the skirt, then didn't like it, and draped another one when she was here for 3 days in July. But it's been my experience lately that there has been quite a bit of fitting to do after the muslin, once we're in fashion fabric.
I was so nervous, and finished then took apart and checked and re-checked and modified the blue dress numerous times.
And in the eventuality, I really feel that I've never done a finer job on any garment I've made than I just did on Katie's dress.

Construction-wise, it's as perfect a garment as I've ever made.

I used spiral steel boning in the inner corselet, and made the inner corselet long enough that it was hip high. I added an inner waist stay in the form of a grosgrain ribbon belt, and attached it in the manner outlined in Susan Khalje's Bridal Sewing book.



One of the more frequent comments I heard re the dresses during the wedding reception was:
"We love the dresses, and each dress seems to suit each girls personality so well." And I think it's true - the girls are very different and each would have been very uncomfortable in the style the other wore.
But as it was, they each loved their dress - felt very comfortable, as if they were as pretty as they could be in what they were wearing, and it Showed in how they conducted themselves all day.
Editing to add a pic of the girls with the bride - Becky, yes, these were bridesmaids dresses for my dsd's to be in my Brother-in-law's wedding (their uncle)

More pictures

Thank heavens they're done.
This week I'll finish the dress for me, AND get the next step up for the coat sewalong. Finally!

31 comments:

Lori said...

Beautiful young ladies and their dresses are lovely.

knittinbrit_in_wi said...

The dresses are stunning. As are the girls and their mum in the last picture. You did such a terrific job.

loopylulu said...

You did such a wonderful job . Katie does look comfortable in that dress and it doesn't look like it's moving south anytime soon.

Erica B. said...

What a beautiful job! The girls look fantastic!

AllisonC said...

Really fabulous, thanks for sharing these lovely pictures, you should indeed be very proud!

LauraLo said...

Wow, those two young ladies look amazing! And so do you! Their dresses are perfect and I absolutely love that shade of blue.

Gry said...

Your girls look lovely. I like that the dresses at the same time look both similar and very different.

Adrienne said...

Your girls are beautiful! Love the dresses!!!

Marina said...

Beautiful looking family! And the dresses look wonderful. Great job, Marji!

cidell said...

First, you look terrific! The dresses are awesome and they look so happy and pretty. Great job Marji!!

Lorraine said...

Marji- They look so happy- and I actually love what you're wearing.

Becky said...

The dresses look great! I love that they have individual style to them-- I can't remember if they were bridesmaid dresses or not, but if so, they're definitely wearable again!!

Nancy W. said...

Marji - you look great in this picture! And, the girls' dresses turned out beautifully as well.

Carolyn (cmarie12) said...

You did an amazing job! The dresses are perfect for each dsd...and even though you didn't get to make the outfit you wanted, this one is pretty awesome! Wow, now you can take some time and make yourself one stunning dress for the wedding this weekend.

fabricluver (Susan) said...

The dresses are beautiful! I like the picture of the 3 of you - all gorgeous ladies. You should be so proud of those dresses, they are truly works of art.

luckylibbet said...

Absolutely amazing job! Sounds like you hit sewing nirvana! And what a gorgeous family.

Mary Beth said...

Amazing bit of sewing. The girls look lovely and you look so proud, happy and, yes, a bit relieved.

Birgitte said...

I know they are your DSD, but in that picture the three of you look like sisters. I can't believe how young and fresh you look, Marji!! And that's after all the worrying, inspection and re-inspection... Simply amazing. The young ladies appear so at ease in their beautiful frocks. You did an outstanding job, on so many levels. Congratulations.

paco peralta said...

all three are amazing .... really., "bellisimas". hugs, Paco

Linda said...

What a beautiful family and gorgeous dresses - all three of them! I see you have gained another daughter. It sounds like a beautiful day. I was nice to see - thanks.

Marjorie said...

Those dresses are fabulous, and the fit is sensational. You all look beautiful in that photo.

toy said...

woo hoo, these dresses are so HOT, I expect nothing less from you Marji, absolutely sexy and fabulous

Cindy said...

Marji, I'm more in awe of you every day!

Janene said...

The dresses look terrific on the dsd's. I love how you do what it takes to give them what their hearts desire. You look great in your outfit also.

Nancy K said...

Fabulous dresses! The girls look beautiful.

Leslie said...

That color is absolutely stunning on the girls!! And the details/construction are beautiful, you should be really proud Marji!

Summerset said...

Absolutely gorgeous! How could all of you not be? Between everyone's natural beauty and your sewing ability, all you look wonderful.

connie b said...

Both of the girls look perfect, happy and adorable. Great job on the dresses!

Carrie K said...

They look so elegant! I love the fraternal idea for bridesmaids dresses.

jae said...

They look fabulous! And I love that each got to wear their own style.

Tany said...

Your work is flawless! The dresses are both masterpieces, congratulations! The girls look absolutely stunning!