Friday, September 05, 2008

More on Semi-formalwear And Why it's Great to have Stash





A week ago or so I wrote a post and asked your opinion on what I should make for myself for the weddings I had coming up. In the eventuality, for my brother-in-laws wedding, I ended up wearing something I'd make a year ago for SWAP, as I just ran out of time.
But, You all convinced me to go ahead with the Scaasi dress pattern.
I got the muslin made - and I was so incredibly pleased with the fit that I began re-thinking the fabric choice.
Because I wanted this dress to do double duty for last weekends wedding and the one tomorrow, I was trying to tone down the level of formality.
My fabric choice was this silk tafetta with an embellished net for the sheer.

Well, the wedding tomorrow is more formal. Since I'd only managed the muslin last week, I had time to change my mind. (woman's perogative, don't you know?)

This is why I love having a stash.
Saashka was here Tuesday, and for several hours all we did was wallow in my stash.
And after wallowing in it, after she had to leave to get on the road to Louisville KY, I was putting away fabrics, and rethinking my fabric choices.
I love the taffeta above, but then, I've got a LOT of fabrics I love.
and this brings me to why I LOVE my stash...At this point in time, in our lives with all these almost grown and grown children who're getting married or going to college, I'm not in the position to be buying these Incredible fabrics. Not to mention that they're getting exceedingly hard to find...not to mention that indy fabric stores that carry quality fabrics are dropping like flies - topic for another day. And while I lament the fact that I have such a stash that I'm afraid I won't be able to use it all, I love being able to go down and pull fabrics and have choices, and all of my choices are fabrics I loved enough to buy in the first place. So, I went stash diving.
  1. The reasons to use the tafetta I'd chosen - I have it, and it would have been on the formal side but still acceptable for last weekends wedding.
  1. The reasons to continue to save it: I have 5 yds of the plain taffeta, 1 1/2 yd of that same taffeta beaded, the net you see in the above pic, another lace that coordinates with it, and a crinkle silk (like the crinkle silks that Candlelight Valley still has a couple of- fabulous stuff). This means that I have enough to work with for another mother of the ___ or other serious formal event, and I've got 3 more kids who're going to be going through this. If I used some of it now, I'll be potentially limiting myself later.
  2. I don't have lining, so it means I'd need to buy some fabric.
  3. And, in that same color family, I have the fabric for one short, stand alone garment, complete with lace, silk 4ply, and charmeuse for lining.
So, in the spirit of using what I have, to fit the body I have now, I made the commitment to use this: This is one incredible piece of lace. I honestly don't remember where I got it, but it was either Stewart Fabrics back when Stewarts was on Maple in Birmingham and Ida Stewart was still around, OR it was from Stewart-Zacks in Traverse City, which was owned by her daughter Mary Zacks (who happened to live across the street from me up there).

And in the great tradition that so many others out there right now are following, of taking a project and making it yet more complex, (Carolyn comes to mind immediately, but many of us are doing it), I've created about twice the work for myself with this dress, just by changing my fabric choices.
I'll start posting construction notes later.

14 comments:

Julie S. said...

Gorgeous! I can't wait to see it in progress (and finished, of course!)

Julie

Nancy K said...

Just gorgeous! You are completing this for tomorrow?! Your stash is really amazing and you're right, this stuff is out of sight, price wise if you can find it these days.

Carolyn (cmarie12) said...

I am sooooo friggin' jealous of your stash! D*mn, that is one FINE piece of fabric and will make an awesome dress! And I cheated and looked at some of the pics on Flickr already...amazing!!

Cindy said...

Lovely lace! I cannot believe that you had that beauty in your STASH.

Carrie K said...

Oh my gosh, I literally gasped when I saw that lace. That is LOVELY.

Isn't that the sad truth about fabric shops? Thank heaven for stash.

Marjie said...

This is one awesome set of fabrics! You do have your work cut out if you're wearing that fabric this weekend!

Sewsy said...

Marji, I've been thinking a lot of the same things lately- stashes ( lucky to have 'em, large, medium, small, whatever); insisting on more and more detailed sewing; the ongoing fabric shop closings,
and! I was thinking about Stewart Fabrics in Birmingham earlier this week. One of the nicest fabric stores I'd ever been in.

It feels like a major shift in the sewing world is occurring all around us...hmmm.

Anyway, the fabric is truly TDF!!

Daisy said...

The fabric is unbelievably beautiful! Whatever you use and whatever you make will be fabulous.

Liana said...

I love the way you've made the choices for this dress, and I especially love the fabrics you're using. This is going to be incredible!

luckylibbet said...

Very thoughtful choices. Congrats on picking the absolute perfect fabrics for this pattern. Looking forward to construction notes, as I have a piece of lace similar and have no idea what to do with it yet.

Mardel said...

Oh I love your choices for this dress! It is going to be absolutely amazing, and yes, it is wonderful to have a stash when you need it. Enjoy wallowing in it.

Nancy W. said...

Marji - that lace is absolutely to die for! It will look beautiful with the other fabrics you have chosen. I can't wait to see what you do with it. I never have opportunity for formal wear, so I don't have anything like this in my stash. I'll be living vicariously through you on this one!

tommy said...

With all the samples of fabric I cant wait to see the finished product. If the dress is anything like the lovely blue formals you just completed, I imagine it will be beautiful. I do have a question though, can you recommend a sewing machine that works well with muslin fabric?

Tany said...

Well, you must have an impressive stash of fabric (from what I've seen so far, I consider you a fabric collector!)