Wednesday, September 24, 2008

progress., and an inventory



I spent all day working on this jacket, which is the project I'm working on for the coat-sewalong right now.

fused stay tape at pocket edge

attaching wigan at hemline - stitched to side seams and hand stitched with running stitch along fold line. Still needs to be pressed to fit shape of hem.

pad stitching. Shaping is achieved by stitching the lines while holding the lapel curved over the hand, and taking small "bites" of a stitch that doesn't go all the way through the fashion fabric. As each row is stitched, the next line is moved to roll over the top of the hand underneath.


I've got the body put together, have started putting together the lining, have assembled the sleeves, and have started assembling the asides - such as the epaulettes, the belt carriers, etc.

To see a 12 minute video of the technique for these hand stitches involved in tailoring see this YouTube video from Otis college on Tailoring techniques. The pad stitching is shown in the last 30 seconds - and I've found if you are in a hurry to get there you can move the play icon forward with your mouse.




Meanwhile, to start an inventory of the UFO's that I hope/intend to finish this fall:
I have 2 coats and 4 jackets under construction - oops, just remembered another jacket.

Begun in January 07 for the RTW knockoff challenge on PR - then ran out of time...and set it aside. I'd love to pull it out and finish it to wear this fall.




























A coat I started, and neglected to underline. After basting together the outer shell and realizing it needed to come apart and be underlined, I set it aside... The big portrait collar is of velvet.







A coat I cut and started in v late winter '05. It gets warm here so much earlier than I'd been accustomed to, and I set it aside, then buried it in a drawer...and forgot about it.









Cut this jacket out 3 weeks ago. I need some clothes to wear to work. ASAP
This is a cotton with a navy print - and it's not going to be lined.
























Started back in '06 when teaching a class in the french collarless jacket. Pieces are cut, fused, some assembly done.










18 comments:

Christina said...

Is it wrong of me to say that I feel better seeing your UFOs? I just feel like I'm not alone now. Although yours are much fancier than mine!

Alexandra said...

Yep, what Christina said! I look forward to seeing your UFOs finished.

The Slapdash Sewist said...

It is good to see we're not alone...but hard to take comfort when your UFOs are so fancy! These are all gorgeous but I think my fave is that last Vogue in the houndstooth. Thanks for the link to the video! I will have to check that out.

senaSews said...

oh, can't wait until your UFOs turned into FOs. They are all so gorgeous. i love the knock off jacket the most.

Suzanne said...

I'm glad someone else does that too...cut out then put away! You have a great eye for material/pattern combo's. Looking forward to seeing these new jackets

Birgitte said...

This looks very organized in my opinion and all the projects are beautiful, timeless and so worth finishing. Your hand stitching is perfection itself. I will check out that link, thank you.

Mary, Mary... said...

You are so close to finishing those gorgeous coats/jackets! I just have a bunch of patterns and fabric lying around. you can do it!

BeeBee said...

Hey! Have that blue and white fabric! Nice choice in patterns for it. I'll likely hang on to it until next Spring. From Fabric Mart?

BeeBee said...

Hey! Have that blue and white fabric! Nice choice in patterns for it. I'll likely hang on to it until next Spring. From Fabric Mart?

Marjie said...

If I set aside a UFO, and start another, it's likely to languish for years. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with this problem!

I am Arizona; a person, not a place. said...

Thanks for the YouTube link. I've watched YouTube videos on how to knit, but didn't even think to search it for hand sewing techniques.

sewsy said...

I have UFO's as well, Marji. I just think that when you do finish up those wonderful looking 'in progress' garments, you'll have quite the fabulous wardrobe! Your sewing skills and taste level are top-notch. Don't be so hard on yourself, I think you're doing fabulously, sewing for others and yourself! Most impressive! Oh yeah, knitting and embroidery too, right?!!!

paco peralta said...

Marji ..- you can with all this and more, I'm sure. I love Donna Karan coat. my best wishes. Paco

mem said...

Oh Marji, at least you have started . I am full of fabric and pattern matches which have gone nowhere . I am waiting to loose weight , paint my sewing room have more time etc etc . I am realizing the number of conditions I put on myself . Its just so silly!!

Lisette M said...

Marji,
Are you using hair canvas to underline the front of your jacket?

tommy said...

I have to say, that even if you have numerous UFO's (as do we all!)they are all impressive! The styles you pick remind me of a mix between Jackie O and Monroe. Simply classic for whenever you finish!

tommy said...

I have to say, that even if you have numerous UFO's (as do we all!)they are all impressive! The styles you pick remind me of a mix between Jackie O and Monroe. Simply classic for whenever you finish!

Anne e le manine d'oro said...

Marji, I thought that me 3 pair of pants in need of a hem were a catastrophe. Oh lala, are you ever impressing me. I will keep an eye on your blog to see the progress. You just about to become one of my sewing super hero. Regards Anne