Monday, November 24, 2008

Creating Mini-Capsules: Teal/Burgundy

The jacket, in the same state it was in when I abandoned it to work on the clothes for the wedding. Goal is to have it finished by Dec 1.
The lining for the jacket is a Vietnamese silk that has the teal color in it that is in the rest of this grouping.

the start of the front of Interweave Knits "Dickinson" pullover. Yarn, Debbie Bliss alpaca/silk
Goal to have this finished: Dec 1. I can do it. It's a fast knit and I've got car time coming up.


The fabric for the pants, showing another yarn that I have to go with the fabric. This is vintage stash. I'm thinking this gorgeous piece of wool dates to the 1980's. The yarn does too. I remember buying it at Fran Kirklands in Grosse Pointe to go with this piece of fabric, and I left Grosse Pointe in 1990, and Fran's had already been closed for a year or two.
Some time back I started a sweater that had a diagonal ribbing that was sprinkled with popcorns. I must have been out of my mind.
I've kept it all these years just to remind myself not to be that crazy. The yarn is a mohair blend and in reality is quite itchy, so I don't know what I'll do with it. Maybe I should just make a scarf to wear with this with the jacket.
The pants, Burda 7718, fully lined with an acetate twill that I picked up at Van Fabrics in Boston a couple of years ago.

in need of buttons and buttonholes on contour waisband and buttons for tabs; and hems. Estimated finish date - tomorrow.
It's so hard to photograph the plaid, but it has gold/burgundy and a lighter teal in there, and goes with a lot of fabrics. It's just perfect for the jacket.

The fit on the pants, I'm happy! Will get my handy cameraman to take pics Dec 2 or 3 when all this is done and I can put it on.


In addition, I have a piece of silk left over from the MOG project that will be fabulous for a blouse. And I have a piece of wool gab in raisin that will be another pair of pants. And several knits that would work for tops.
I plan to have at least one top/blouse made up for this group. Goal date: Dec 15.

18 comments:

leilani said...

Oh, I definitely see a waist-length pullover vest worn over a luscious silk blouse -- the perfect ensemble with those gorgeous pants!

Liana said...

Marji, It all looks so beautiful. I love the colors, especially the jacket/lining combo and the teal plaid. I have something similar in about the same vintage. 2 Pendleton pieces brown/teal houndstooth and plaid. Great fabric never dies!

Carolyn (cmarie12) said...

As usual your fabrics are exquisite and that is going to make an amazing set of garments. Love that the pants are almost complete and they are soooo detailed!

Vicki said...

Gorgeous pants. And as Carolyn said - beautiful fabrics :)

Dana said...

I'm actually drooling over that pants fabric! They look beautiful! (seriously, drooling!)

ACorgiHouse said...

You're back! I love the pant fabric. Truly great stash will always survive. Terrific grouping. K

knittinbrit_in_wi said...

I like the vest idea with the vintage yarn. I think that a scarf would be really itchy around your neck, at least with a vest you can wear something under it. Did you ever wash your swatch of the yarn to see if it would be itchy after washing.

cidell said...

You have the best taste. I am 100 percent in love with what I'm seeing in those pants. And I am very interested to see your knit. Have a safe drive!

Lisette M said...

I would make a vest instead of a scarf if the yarn is itchy. The fabrics are gorgeous, great color combination.

Zoubida said...

This will be a gorgeous mini-capsule. I love the colors you are using. The pant's fabric and the jacket lining are beautiful.

Joyce said...

Marji,
I sent an email to your yahoo account about joining the Great Coat Sew Along. I never heard back. Is the Sew Along closed or will you allow new participants?
Thanks,
Joyce

Fabricarts said...

Have you considered "Belinda" from Mason-Dixon's Knitting Outside the Lines for your mohair? or even the "Scribble Scrabble" knit (inspired by Debbie New) from their first book? Adding the right solid color contrasting yarn could make an interesting piece.
Your photos and thoughts are so inspiring! Good luck with meeting your goals and thanks for posting.
Miriam

Lindsay T said...

Ditto what everyone else said about the pants fabric. Really looking forward to seeing these, Marji. Enjoy your Thanksgiving.

Mardel said...

Gosh, love the colors and the fabric for those pants. I probably have some similar things of similar vintage too, including some yarns that live in the stash as a "what was I thinking" warning.

Can't wait to se everything finished!

LauraLo said...

What a great colour combo. But then you always had such a great eye for colour. I missed you!

Carrie K said...

A pullover vest would be lovely. But what of yours isn't? Did you finish the jacket?

Marjorie said...

The yarn is beautiful with your vintage plaid. Would it be possible for you to mix it with a yarn that is more comfortable--say using it for a collar or inserted section and having most of the sweater in a more comfortable yarn?

Mary, Mary... said...

Vintage stash and gorgeous,too. I'd use the scratchy bit on the body with a soft solid on the neck and cuffs. I love that plaid.