Thursday, January 08, 2009

Plugging In again

Hello! and Happy New Year.

I've been off-line a bit longer than I intended.

I'll let you in on a secret. I'm a bit burned out on the sewing. I needed/need a break from it.
The Great Coat Sewalong really took a lot of energy, (I know, I signed on for it), and the wedding sewing and formalwear sewing did, and I just need a break.
There is so much on the "must do" list that it's feeling like a chore. Ya know?


So, Since I posted last I've gotten out the knitting. In part because I've had a lot of car-time.
For Thanksgiving we drove to S Carolina - 30+ hours in the car, and I only drove about 1/3 of it. The rest I spent working on my Dickinson pullover.I finished knitting the front in the car. Since then I've worked on the sleeves. Last night at knitting group I finished one of the sleeves, only to discover this AM that it's too long and too wide at the top, so I'm going to rip back down to before the beginning of the raglan shaping and
start the raglan shaping sooner and decrease at a sharper angle. It won't take long. Fortunately just after I took that picture I separated the sleeves (I had been knitting two at the same time on one needle) so I only have to reknit the top on one. I should have this sweater ready to wear with my teal plaid pants by Jan 30 when we go up to Chicago.

I also made a trip up to Rockford IL and then over to Davenport IA to see each kid, and spent a bit of time in The Yarn Shoppe in Davenport where I got started on hats for Mark and Megan. I finished both in time for Christmas giving. I added a ribbed cuff to the double knit hat for Mark.


Then I came home and started finishing mittens that had been languishing.
Karen's needed thumbs:

Megan liked the Sea Mineral mittens and her hands fit the small one so I knit the mate and added thumbs and those are finished


and I picked up this pair that I'd only knit one cuff on and finished knitting the mittens from the chart I'd made up a year ago. I'm naming these Celebration in honor of my friend Sharron, who's in Colorado now with her daughter.
Edit to say that My dear friend Sharron lost her long battle with cancer this past Saturday. She was a wonderful, fun lady who will be missed. These mittens are in honor of Sharron, in some of her favorite colors.


Then I knit the mate to the one that I'm calling Violet Prism and decided that I'm keeping this pair for myself.


In the vein of knitting for myself, I've started one project this year. January 4th I cast on Marijke using size 4 needles and the Blue Sky alpaca/silk that I had in stash in the ruby color.
I realized when dh and I went to Saugatauk MI for New Years that I don't have a single scarf that I've knit. I've given away all of them. Time to rectify that.
in the way of all lace knitting this will look infinitely better when blocked.
I could have chosen an easy pattern, but nope. This one has a 28 row repeat and is patterned on both sides. No return purl rows to relax on. But I'm loving it. Cherries!!

This week I also got an email from dvmCindy from PR. She's just starting the drops cardi that I've let languish, and she got me motivated to get that out of hibernation.


So right now I've got 3 projects I'm working on.
1. The Dickinson pullover which I can work on in company or while watching TV because the pattern is easily memorized.
2. The Drops Cardi where I'm on the stockinette part of sleeve 2 - totally mindless knitting
3. the Marijke scarf which is complex and requires every bit of my concentration.

Plans are to have the scarf and Dickinson finished before Jan 29 to take to Chicago when we attend Strictly Sail. It gets cold walking down to Navy Pier.

2009 is my year to knit and sew for myself.

I look forward to catching up with all of my blog friends in the next couple of weeks. I have some sewing to do, but not much to talk about.


Re The Great Coat Sewalong: I've got to do some arranging and editing of the blog - not much but it will take a bit of time, then I'm opening it for public viewing. Give me until Jan 15, ok?

23 comments:

Deepika said...

Marji,

Your knitting is exquisite! I love love love the mittens. I can never even dream of knitting those.

Janene said...

How nice to hear your voice again and to see your lovely knitting projects!

Carrie K said...

Dickenson looks fabulous! Too bad about the sleeves. Sleeves are evil. :)

Those mittens are gorgeous! The scarf is going to be really pretty too.

Carolyn (cmarie12) said...

Its great to see pictures of all the things that we've spoken about! I love, love, love the mittens!

Cennetta said...

Glad to see you "plugged" again. It sounds like you had a busy holiday season. All of your projects/presents are wonderful.

How long will you visit Chicago?

Mardel said...

Oh what fabulous knitting projects. The mittens are gorgeous and the sweaters and scarf look scrumptious also. Good to have you back.

gaylen said...

It's so good to have you back. I'm finally getting started on my coat. Guess I better print all the info I'll be needing.

Love, love, love those mittens. Will you show the inside of one? I'm going to learn stranded colorwork this year!

thanks so much for sharing your projects. And go you - selfish is good sometimes. g

melissa said...

Beautiful! I'm not a knitter, but those patterns all look very impressive, and so different, too!

And I now have my own deadline - to properly finish my coat by the 15th!!

Kathleen C. said...

The knitting is amazing! I love your mittens... absolutely beautiful!
I never got very far on my coat... it took me until forever just to be happy with the pattern choice, I started the mockup... and my life went kablooey. But I will be finishing it (someday) and the posts on the blog were of such help and solace to me. Thank you! For all your hard work and energy and the brilliant idea!

Lindsay T said...

My grandmother and great aunt both knitted beautifully like you, Marji. Knitting is in my blood, but I just can't seem to take to it. I wish I could but I just seem to get more tense when I knit...

Cindy Lou said...

SOOO good to see your voice in print! I love your knitting. We all get burnout. I had it pretty bad after Christmas and stayed out of my sewing room for 8-10 days. Wish I had the urge to knit!

Mary, Mary... said...

Welcome back! What a lovely collection and good for you for finishing them all. And three cheers for knitting and sewing for yourself--you deserve it.

Melodye said...

Welcome back!

Alexandra said...

Happy New Year! Glad you're back!

Those mittens are exquisite! I love the intricate patterning.

Elizabeth said...

That's some seriously awesome knitting you've been doing. I'm particularly taken with the Celebration mittens. But it's all gorgeous.

Brigitte said...

Welcome back to the world of knitting! My sister is also on a sewing/quilting hiatus - she's also feeling burned out.

Wow, those are a lot of mittens!

Lorraine said...

Marji- If you're not careful, you'll get knitting burnout- and then where will you be?

It doesn't bear thinking about.

Audrey said...

You knit as proficiently and beautifully as you sew! I am looking forward eagerly to the public opening of The Great Coat Sewalong

Liana said...

It's so, so nice to see you here again! And I knew you'd have some beautiful things to show us. Fantastic knitting, as usual. We've missed you.

Nancy K said...

Such beautiful knitting! Perfect for this bitterly cold weather!

Tany said...

Happy New Year to you too!

Your knitting is exquisite!I lobe the cables on the Dickinson pullover!

Crystal said...

You knit so beautifully. I love those mittens, every single pair. And the pullover looks great. Can't wait to see the finished scarf! I just love lacy scarves.

Rose said...

I'm nominating you for the Kreativ Blogger Award! Check my blogspot to copy the award. Thanks for being there in blogland for me and so many others.