Saturday, March 28, 2009

tick tock tick tock

I will admit to a bit of panic.
I just added a ticker bar to the header on this blog. When I consider how long this adventure has been a dream, something in the planning stages, the reality of the beginning is mind-boggling.


Originally I began this blog as a way to document the reduction of my stash as I prepared to go live on a boat.
Ha!
Along the way I've met many wonderful women, some who've become online friends, others who've crossed the internet barrier to become IRL friends too. And I've become a more and less active member of creative online communities including Stitchers Guild, Pattern Review, and Ravelry.
and along with that, I've learned all about the joys of the availability of EVERY kind of fabric and yarn possible, just by the click of a button. So the inherent tendency I had to buy extraordinary pieces of fabric when I saw them, because I might never see them again, turned into a problem.

It's taken a lot of time to turn the prism and view the situation of buying fabrics differently. Now the axiom is "there will always be more fabric [yarn]".
Meanwhile, my stash has grown, not shrunk, even though I've managed to get a lot of sewing and knitting done in the last several years.

oh boy. Now reality sets in.
Timetables - I thought about 3 tickers, but just couldn't go there yet.
Launch: tentatively set for May 15
Next wedding: Mark and Megan, Sept 19
List the house for sale: tentatively shooting for Oct 15.

YIKES!

to do:
  • prior to launch -
  1. get the boat cushions recovered
  2. organize everything here that is going to the boat for the first two week sail. Fortunately we have all summer to move things to the boat and figure out what is going to work on board and what isn't. But there are certain things I need to have on board from day 1.
I had been considering just taking some pots and pans from the kitchen, but an argument has been made that is convincing me to try out one of the nesting sets. I like to cook. this is no secret. I abhor crappy cookware. Until this week I thought all nesting cookware sets were of the variety found in the section with campstoves, made from lightweight tin. Not on my boat.
Well, I just found out that Cuisinart and Magma both make cookware sets just for our situation. Right now I'm leaning towards the Cuisinart. I like the two size saute pans and only one saucepan, as opposed to the multiple saucepans and only one saute included in the Magma set. I've also read in reviews from other boaters that the lack of lids is a real drawback to the Magma set. I'm thinking there's an online purchase coming up soon that doesn't involve fiber.

Magma on left, Cuisinart on right

  • Prior to the wedding - lots left to do, I'll find out more about my role in 2 weeks when Mark and Megan are here for Easter.

  • Prior to listing the house. oh my achin' head
  1. repaint the primary living areas and the girls room
  2. finish all window treatments
  3. get Cherry floors refreshed, if not refinished.
  4. and for what you're interested in - brutally assessing what I can keep, and what I need to let go of. This is where some of the destash is going to come in. oy.
so, I'm going to now use this blog to keep myself on track while that ticker ticks down.
It probably won't be really interesting to watch me tick off items from a list - but do stay tuned if you're interested in the destash to come.

22 comments:

gwensews said...

Do not forget to take the sewing machine on your voyage! Good luck with all your plans.

Anonymous said...

Couldn't you consider allowing a trusted family member to store your stash. You have made clothing for so many people; maybe someone could give you a hand so you will not feel so overwhelmed and burdened by it. L.

knittinbrit_in_wi said...

I think it sounds thoroughly interesting watching all you accomplish.

Are you so excited to hit the boat and get some sailing in?

Vicki said...

Know how you feel about fixing the house up for sale. We have just sold our house. Getting it ready and then keeping it clean is painful. Good luck :)

Kathleen C. said...

Deeeeep calming breaths, in and out...
And the idea of asking for storage help is not a bad one. My parents who RV full time have some items stored at my sister's house. Just a bin or two of fabric wouldn't take much room. And it's not forever... because you're going to make up everything you take with you and need more...?
Best of luck!

Birgitte said...

It's a lot to get done, but oh so exciting! Just a short while from now you'll be out on the big blue, peace and calm... What a way to live life- I envy you!

ACorgiHouse said...

As someone who has had an eyeball firmly fixed on the stash, I'll be right here. I'm making a major life change right now myself, which will give me loads more free time to stitch/knit. Karma? And expect photos of a finished objet, in a lovely choco-mauve, quite soon. Almost there... K

Brigitte said...

Oh, my head hurts just reading about it! I would have a hard timr deciding what to keep, and what to part with.

And a wedding! I think I need to lie down...

Elizabeth said...

Um, time to rent a storage unit? I'm exhausted just reading about what's ahead of you.

I do say buy the cookware that will work best for you: you'll be using it nearly every day and good cookware is worth it.

Rosemary aka fabricfan said...

Wow, what an exciting time for you. Not too long for the boat, when you are on your boat you'll be able to think about your stash with a little more distance. We are still sorting out our stuff after our move in January.

Mardel said...

Get the cookware you need/like. Good cookware is worth it and I like the set with the two saute pans too, I would use that more than all the saucepans.

I agree that maybe you can find a way to store at least part of your stash. Are you going to be storing anything while you are away? Can you add to it? Can anyone help?

Liana said...

I'mm agreeing with everyone else. Get the good pans w/2 saute pans. Find a place to stash the stash for a while at least. Surely your kids are so grateful for all the wedding help that they'd give up a little space for you. Or divide into manageable parcels, package them up and send them around to your cyber-friends. Wouldn't that be fun trying to figure out who had what? :0 Maybe not on that last plan...

Can't believe it's all happening so soon. Keep us posted!

The Slapdash Sewist said...

Oh my goodness! It's coming up soon. What an adventure it will all be, even before you set sail!

Cennetta said...

My goodness, Marji. You have much to do. Not boring stuff; it will be good to hear how you navigate through the list of activities. I like the cuisinart set too.

laura said...

I had a deja vu moment reading this post. After 3 intense months of cleaning, purging, and painting, I put my house on the market this month and my sister was nice enough to store some stuff for me. We went down to our boat this weekend and got her ready for the season and even though we plan living aboard I'm still not sure how I'm going to sew! I have a set of nesting pans and I love them. They fit into the oven when I'm not cooking. There are only 4 pieces though; 2 pots/saucepans and 2 frying pans that serve as lids for the pots.Since there are only 2 burners this works for me. For 8 days straight I cooked 3 meals a day for 4 of us and it worked out well! Best wishes that all goes well for you!

Nancy K said...

Definitely the Cuisinart set, from a fellow cook. The right sizes and shapes for real cooking.
Wow, that's a lot to do. I agree, deep breathing is in order.
Where are you planning to sail? Is there an end date, or is this a permanent lifestyle change?

Nancy in A2 said...

You exhaust me. Good luck with the final stash reduction. My own attempts at deciding what I can let go have been pathetic. The Cuisinart set looks so cool; I may have to find it for camping. Is there somewhere I could see a photo of the boat?

Lorraine said...

Marji- Holy Crap!

D said...

Hi, forget my nesting pans. They're not up to the quality of the Cuisinart.

Carrie K said...

It'll be fun to see you count down......and keep an eye on your stash too. ;)

Sewsy said...

A few weeks ago there was a PBS documentary about a family of five living on their boat. I thought of you, and got a glimpse of how life will be for you and your husband.

I was wondering what your plans will be for your stash, I'm with anonymous and Liana. I think that you'd be surprised to find out just how many people would be willing to help with Marji's Stash Storage Project.

I want to thank you, you've encouraged me to be at the sewing machine more, and online less. I'm making good progress with summer outfits, thanks for the inspiration.

I hope that you'll be posting about your adventures once onboard full time, we all care deeply about you, and want to know how you and your husband will be getting along.

a little sewing on the side said...

I am so excited that you added the ticker and I look forward to your blogging once you are afloat. I love that you can find space-saving pots & pans that are good quality. yay!!
You are a powerhouse - you will do it all, and with great style. Go Marji!